home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Perks Pages"
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 03-23-2016, 03:04 AM   #1
administrator
Ms. Personality
 
administrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 14 miles from DLR
Posts: 4,163
Default Disney gift cards: Target, etc.

Please continue your discussion in this thread. The other one was getting a bit long and unwieldy.
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:37 PM   #2
3 DD love princesses
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 18
Default

@Disney Dad ADL thanks for posting how you did your orders and how you found out you were banned. I know some have posted their orders have been cancelled but were able to order another day.
3 DD love princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:17 AM   #3
rfc0001
Grand Villa
 
rfc0001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dad ADL View Post
My large order actually went through (I got the Disney Gift Cards), but a few days later I tried to buy something, then my order was immediately cancelled (within a few minutes). It tells you to call to complete your order, then Customer Service tells you that you got banned. That's what happened to me anyway.
I've never had a Disney Gift Card order get cancelled, but I've had many other non-Diseny gift card orders using Target GCs randomly get cancelled (e.g. Southwest, restaurant GCs). I've never called. I just reorder, and they almost always go through the second time. It seems they are enforcing an unwritten policy that "you aren't allowed to use Target GCs to buy other GCs". I don't know why they allow this for Disney GCs but are so strict for others, but regardless seems they only intermittently enforce this unwritten policy. Just order again -- I doubt you are actually banned -- Unless they are completely inept, Target obviously knows this is going on since they regularly sell out of Disney GCs and they have to see the same pattern of using Target GCs for Disney GCs over and over and obviously aren't doing anything about it.
rfc0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
Disney Dad ADL
One Bedroom
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfc0001 View Post
I've never had a Disney Gift Card order get cancelled, but I've had many other non-Diseny gift card orders using Target GCs randomly get cancelled (e.g. Southwest, restaurant GCs). I've never called. I just reorder, and they almost always go through the second time. It seems they are enforcing an unwritten policy that "you aren't allowed to use Target GCs to buy other GCs". I don't know why they allow this for Disney GCs but are so strict for others, but regardless seems they only intermittently enforce this unwritten policy. Just order again -- I doubt you are actually banned -- Unless they are completely inept, Target obviously knows this is going on since they regularly sell out of Disney GCs and they have to see the same pattern of using Target GCs for Disney GCs over and over and obviously aren't doing anything about it.
Just tried again, still banned. I actually get the " You order was cancelled " E-mail before I even get the order confirmation E-mail.
Disney Dad ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
stellabutterman
Studio
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 164
Default

I just discovered that the Disney Gift Card App I've used since 2012 no longer works when I tried to load gift cards in it for our trip this summer.

I've checked out the Disneygiftcard website. It says I can track 5 cards. I don't want to combine the cards because I'm certain I'd lose one with all the money on it. It also seems a lot more complicated if I did have the 5 cards, I'd have to write an account number on each to track it online, and I have to log in, type in a number, and all of it depends on if I have access to wifi. Am I misunderstanding how the website works? I don't handle change well, and maybe it's just me being contrary.

It was easy with the app--name the card, type in the numbers, and always had quick access to the information on the phone. Are there any apps anyone uses to track their Disney Gift Cards?
stellabutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
Joel0917
Two Bedroom
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Allen Park, MI
Posts: 993
Default

Since we moved to a new thread, just copied the original posting instructions below.
we were discussing this in paying dues using disney gift cards...but thought i'd post more general...ro use for trips, cruises, anything Disney

you can get 12% off...7% off through raise buying target gift card..then use those target gift cards online...and if you have the target red card an extra 5% off..even though you are paying with gift cards.

Step 1:
so it was pretty easy..signed up for Raise:
https://www.raise.com/raise-rewards/NDoyMCAtMMzc5Nzgy

Sign up...then find the denomination gift card you want. i bought $980 to buy my for dues..i paid $911.40 through raise. within 10 minutes i had email confirmation and gift card.

Step 2
Go to target.com. put up to 8x at a time in your cart of Disney $50 gift cards. proceed to check out. YOu should have your target red card as a option to pay. Make sure that is checked and go to final check out screen.

Step 3
Before you finalize and pay..there is a link on lower right under the price to pay using target gift cards. at this point your total for $400 cards is $380 with the red card discount. But put in the gift card and say apply..then proceed to check out
The next screen gives you the final verifcation and it will say paying with gift card for $380. and click submit and you are done.

Repeat until you have exhausted your red card. I bought $1050 worth of gift cards for $911.40 that i paid on raise..then paid $17.50 difference on target.com on final purchase.

so i got $1050 for $938.90....not to bad! saved $112 the $17.50 was full price which distorts the percentage.....but it still is savings.
__________________
Sep 97 - First WDW trip
Since then wdw: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
2014,2015
Stayed: SSR, AKV,AKL, THV, All star music, Pop Century, AofA, BLT, CBR.
Disneyland: 1998,2010, 2014, 2016
Stayed: VGC in 14/16
2016 - SSR/AKV and BLT
Disney cruise: 2007, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016
Wonder 2x and Fantasy 4x
UPcoming:
F&W DCR
Dec NYE again: BLT!
July 18 - Disney Magic Barcelona
Joel0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #7
Joel0917
Two Bedroom
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Allen Park, MI
Posts: 993
Default

I had a fear of target banning me.
How many folks were banned?

I've never bought more than like $100-$200 at a time.

I did but $600 one time but no issues.

How does Target choose to ban someone?
__________________
Sep 97 - First WDW trip
Since then wdw: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
2014,2015
Stayed: SSR, AKV,AKL, THV, All star music, Pop Century, AofA, BLT, CBR.
Disneyland: 1998,2010, 2014, 2016
Stayed: VGC in 14/16
2016 - SSR/AKV and BLT
Disney cruise: 2007, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016
Wonder 2x and Fantasy 4x
UPcoming:
F&W DCR
Dec NYE again: BLT!
July 18 - Disney Magic Barcelona
Joel0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
Disney Dad ADL
One Bedroom
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellabutterman View Post
I just discovered that the Disney Gift Card App I've used since 2012 no longer works when I tried to load gift cards in it for our trip this summer.

I've checked out the Disneygiftcard website. It says I can track 5 cards. I don't want to combine the cards because I'm certain I'd lose one with all the money on it. It also seems a lot more complicated if I did have the 5 cards, I'd have to write an account number on each to track it online, and I have to log in, type in a number, and all of it depends on if I have access to wifi. Am I misunderstanding how the website works? I don't handle change well, and maybe it's just me being contrary.

It was easy with the app--name the card, type in the numbers, and always had quick access to the information on the phone. Are there any apps anyone uses to track their Disney Gift Cards?
What are you going to use the gift cards for? I signed up for the Disney Vacation Account and deposited my gift cards in there. Seems to be pretty good so far but there are some limitations to it as I understand.
Disney Dad ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #9
stellabutterman
Studio
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dad ADL View Post
What are you going to use the gift cards for? I signed up for the Disney Vacation Account and deposited my gift cards in there. Seems to be pretty good so far but there are some limitations to it as I understand.
I use the gift cards to pay for food in the parks or other stuff and to pay down my balance I charged to the room with my magic band. They were convenient to use when we couldn't charge to a magic band. We had minor difficulties last summer when we switched resorts, and at least one of our magic bands didn't work initially as it should.

I'm not convinced DVA is my best bet at this point. I've read of some issues with it being down and little communication from Disney. It may not be a problem now.

It was just easier and very simple to track the cards' balances via the app--very easy. Essentially that's what I want to do--track balances and verify the cards were activated too. Off to research possible card tracking apps--gyft and google wallet.
stellabutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #10
IslaTurbine
Studio
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellabutterman View Post
I use the gift cards to pay for food in the parks or other stuff and to pay down my balance I charged to the room with my magic band. They were convenient to use when we couldn't charge to a magic band. We had minor difficulties last summer when we switched resorts, and at least one of our magic bands didn't work initially as it should.

I'm not convinced DVA is my best bet at this point. I've read of some issues with it being down and little communication from Disney. It may not be a problem now.

It was just easier and very simple to track the cards' balances via the app--very easy. Essentially that's what I want to do--track balances and verify the cards were activated too. Off to research possible card tracking apps--gyft and google wallet.
I'm not sure I follow you. DVA is different that the Disney Gift Card website, which is accessible via your smartphone, although not in an app. The gift card site is pretty easy to use and manage. It keeps the gift card saved online. Simply take a Sharpie marker and label each card as 1, 2, 3, etc. and then name each card the same when you save them to the gift card website.
IslaTurbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 PM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software