home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-25-2016, 11:53 PM   #1
Micah008
Grand Villa

Default Complete: They're Tall Enough! - A Trip Report - Jan 2016

Table of Contents:
Day 1 - Arrival / Bay Lake Tower / Magic Kingdom
Day 2 - Magic Kingdom
Day 3 - Hollywood Studios
Day 4 - Magic Kingdom
Day 5 - Animal Kingdom / Disney Springs
Day 6 - Magic Kingdom / Beach Club Villas
Day 7 - Epcot
Day 8 - Hollywood Studios
Day 9 - Hollywood Studios / Mini-golf / Animal Kingdom
Day 10 - Epcot
Day 11 - Departure

The Basic Plot:
We visited Walt Disney World from Saturday 1/23 through Tuesday 2/2 2016 (10 nights), again doing a split stay between a couple different DVC resorts, like we have often been doing recently. The first 5 nights were at Bay Lake Tower in a Standard View Studio, the last 5 nights at Beach Club Villas, again in a Studio. We selected BLT primarily for the proximity to Magic Kingdom, and the fact that we were actually able to book one of the cheaper Standard View rooms without being owners there (since it is normally difficult). We stayed at Beach Club to be near Epcot (and Hollywood Studios), we wanted to try out Stormalong Bay (even in January), and to use the Sandcastle Club. One of our goals is to stay in every DVC resort, and we are getting closer each trip.

We typically go to Disney World in January to be able to enjoy the Florida weather, lower crowds, and value prices. We chose these dates later in January in part because the kids had one day off school during that time, and also to be able to activate our Annual Passes late enough in the month to allow us to take a mid-January trip next year before they expire.

As the title implies, each of our kids had reached new heights this year, and would each be able to try many new things they had never done before, making it a whole new experience for all of us.

The Cast:
Me: This was my 11th time to WDW (see signature for the list). The things I was most looking forward to on this trip were to be able to see the Star Wars fireworks, try some new resorts, restaurants and bars/lounges, and to be able to see the kids doing some rides for their first time.

DW: She has also been to WDW 11 times including this trip, plus one trip to Disneyland growing up. On this trip she was most excited to have a date night just the two of us at Flying Fish (and surrounding area), see the Star Wars fireworks, and to stay at new resorts.

DS7: This was his 7th trip to WDW. He said his favorite ride is Test Track, and his favorite character is Goofy. Now at exactly 48" he can do pretty much everything, but there are a few he still just doesn't want to go on unless we force him. He was most excited to be able to go on Sum of All Thrills and Rock-N-Rollercoaster on this trip.

DS5: This was his 6th trip to WDW. He said his favorite ride is the Peoplemover, and his favorite character is Pluto. He is finally at 40" (barely), so he was able to do many new things, and is willing to try new things more than his brother. He was most excited to be able to go on Test Track after seeing some videos on YouTube and hearing his brother talk about it.

Some Past Trip Photos:

February 2004 trip: (just DW and I)

February 2010 trip: (DS7 was 1 (almost 2) at the time)

January 2012 trip: (DS5 was only 1 at the time)

January 2013 trip:

January 2014 trip:

August 2014 trip:

January 2015 trip:

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas, Riviera Resort, and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Last edited by Micah008; 04-03-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Micah008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:55 PM   #2
Micah008
Grand Villa

Default Day 1 - Arrival / Bay Lake Tower / Magic Kingdom

Saturday January 23rd
Crowd Level 5

We were flying out of Milwaukee early in the morning on the 23rd, so we drove the ~3 hours the day before, after DS7 was done with school. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza near the airport and used IHG points for a free night, which worked well enough for our needs, especially since we were pretty much just heading to bed as soon as we got there.

In the morning we got up early, quickly got ready and headed over to the airport. We normally park in the SuperSaver lot at the airport, but we parked at WallyPark because they were having a special on their valet parking for only $5.95 per day (vs $7 for the Saver lot). We just pulled in, left the car running, loaded our stuff directly to a shuttle (with them helping), and then got right on the shuttle and were on the way over to the terminal while they parked our car. It was nice, but I doubt I would do it again at the normal price (more on that at the end of the trip).

We arrived with more than enough time, ate some breakfast that we brought to the gate, and waited for our boarding time. Since Southwest Airlines had changed some of their Family Boarding procedures (now 6 and under) we were able to all board together, and got seats in row 20.

The plane took off right as the sun was about to rise. It was an early morning, but we were on our way...

We were at the gate in Orlando at 10:37, got off the plane and got our strollers from gate check, only to find...

Well, that wasn't the way we brought it. Dang.

The good news was that this was our older stroller that was already a bit beat up, and we weren't planning to have DS7 use it much anyway, but it still wasn't a great way to start. In case you are not aware, the airlines actually don't cover gate checked items for damage, they only guarantee they won't lose them... but this was a bit more damage than we have come to expect from the numerous times we have used gate check.

I took a few extra minutes to file a report with SW, not expecting anything, and we went on our way to the Magical Express. (After the trip I followed up and actually got a $100 travel voucher for it, despite it not technically being covered... they said the main reason they gave me something was that I told the truth about the actual value and condition of the stroller before the flight, and many people just lie to try to get something more)

We got to the Magical Express lines at 11:22 and found much longer lines than we have experienced in the past. We got on the bus at 11:50, stopped at WL along the way, and finally made it over to BLT at 12:34. Considering the issues and delays, it was almost exactly 2 hours since the plane had reached the gate, which really wasn't too bad.

We had lunch at Contempo Cafe, which was very good. Even though we had received our room number via text message before leaving the airport, we weren't able to charge to our room. After lunch we went to the check-in desk at BLT and got the Magic Bands working. (we were told that something apparently didn't work properly when I did online check-in) While I did this, the kids were enjoying all of the different chairs...

I had done some research before the trip to see where the different Standard View rooms were at BLT. Some of them are rooms that used to be considered Theme Park View, but because they can only see part of the castle they were re-categorized as Standard View (roughly 1/2 the price). I setup my requests to hopefully be able to snag one of these rooms.

We walk into the room, and see ...

Amazing! Can't complain with that view at all! The castle was straight out from our room, and it was exactly what we were hoping for.

Here are some other pictures of the view, and the room itself.

Our plan was to spend some time in Magic Kingdom, and we had a few FP+ setup. The kids really wanted to take the monorail after being able to see it from our room, so we took it rather than walking, even though it would take longer.

We made it over to the park at 2:15.

While it looked like a beautiful day, it was actually very cool and windy.

We went on the Peoplemover first, and then found a great place to watch the parade right across from Sleepy Hollow.

We went on Jungle Cruise with a FP+, saw the Country Bears, rode on Aladdin (would be closing for refurb soon), then rode BTMRR with a FP+ which DS5 absolutely loved!

We had dinner at Pecos Bills, and enjoyed the Southwest Chicken Salad with plenty of fixins' on it.

After dinner it was starting to get downright cold out due to the sun being down and the wind not letting up. We decided just to do Philharmagic next since it was indoors and it wasn't yet time for our final FP+. While waiting in line we spent some time talking with the family next to us who was from Michigan, and one of their kids happened to share a name with our DS5, so they were instantly "friends", and it was fun talking with them.

To end the day we rode Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, which we really enjoyed doing in the dark.

It had been a very productive time at MK, especially considering we didn't get there until mid-afternoon. But, the early morning was starting to catch up to us and it was time to get the kids back to the room to get some sleep.

After getting the kids to bed DW and I watched Wishes from our balcony, and didn't actually stay up much later ourselves before we realized we needed to get some sleep too.

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas, Riviera Resort, and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR
Old 02-26-2016, 12:21 AM   #3
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Off to an excellent start, Micah! Looking forward to another great report. Thanks for taking the time.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:13 AM   #4
Buzz Lightyear Towers
Grand Villa

Nice trip report!
It's great that you were able to see the fireworks from a standard view balcony.
I've lucked into the same situation at BLT on a previous trip.

AKV, BLT, BWV, and PVB are my home resorts. :
Buzz Lightyear Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
Yogi3323
Add-on Aficionado

Location: to Quote Bruce .. "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"

Love the growing up Disney pictures! And yep, my youngest just reached 48 inches over our December trip, YES!!!! Now we can all go on rides together!

Nice score with the room at BLT. And sometimes honesty does pay off, but sorry about the stroller.

Hope the rest of the trip was as magical as the first day.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
dvcnewbie1212
Grand Villa

Count me in! Another MO family growing up before our eyes.
2012 AKV 1st DVC visit
2013 SSR waterpark trip
2013 AKV Girls Only
2014 DCL,VB,OKW
2015 PVB & AKV
dvcnewbie1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #7
LadyGrimm
Two Bedroom

Last time we went, DS was juuuuuust under 40". Can't wait until our next trip in December!!

*Visit WDW (check!), DLR (check!), Disney Paris (check!), Disney Tokyo (check!), Disney Hong Kong, Disney Shanghai
*Take a Disney Cruise (check!)
*Own DVC (check!)
*Visit Club 33
*Work for the Mouse
LadyGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
Micah008
Grand Villa

Default Day 2 - Magic Kingdom

Sunday January 24th
Crowd Level 5

I woke up the next morning before my alarm even went off. I am sure it was in part because I went to bed earlier than normal the night before, but also because I was excited to get to Rope Drop.

We ate a really good breakfast at Contempo Cafe, and then walked over to Magic Kingdom. It was a very cold morning again, in the upper 30's, but it was at least sunny and less windy than the day before. The crowd was very light when we walked up to the park at 8:30, I think due in part to the temperature (which only got up to 55 all day).

The welcome show started at 8:40, but didn't go off like normal due to some technical issues. The microphone wasn't working for the Fire Chief so we couldn't hear him at all, the dancers came out very late (but you could still hear the "hi" and "how are ya?" pre-recorded voices loud and clear without them even being there), then the train also didn't arrive when it was supposed to so you could hear the part with Mickey talking but he wasn't there either. At the very end the train finally did start pulling into the station, but the fireworks went off (early) and they opened the park (roughly 8:45) even before he rolled to a stop. It was actually amusing for us, but I am sure there were people seeing it for the very first time that were confused as to what was happening.

We headed to Peter Pan first, and were actually on and off the ride by 8:59. We then tried to make our usual loop around Fantasyland, but Barnstormer and the Little Mermaid Ride were both down when we got to them. The rest of the day we kept trying to get on Barnstormer, but it was down on and off many times, and our timing was bad every time.

Despite those rides being down we had a really productive morning all around the park, including DS7 going on Space Mountain for the first time, and me being selected to be the guy who "Feels the urge to get up and dance" at Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. (gee, lucky me)

We had lunch at Cosmic Rays. I usually regret that choice, and today was no different as it ended up being our one of our worst QS meals of the trip. The burger was just ok, but we all got some food in us.

After lunch we had our 3rd FP+ of the day setup over at the 7DMT. It was cool to see DS5 even putting his arms up in the air. (and yes, we are all still wearing gloves...)

and then we got a 4th FP+ for Barnstormer since it had been down. While we waited for the FP+ time to start we went on the Carousel and got a snack over at the big top.

Barnstormer was down again as we got there, but we got an email saying we could use the FP+ somewhere else so we went over to the Little Mermaid ride instead. After that we got our 5th FP+, trying for Barnstormer yet again, but we immediately got the email that it was down again and we could use it elsewhere... so Pooh it was this time. This actually worked quite well to get a FP+ for a ride that went down because then we had the flexibility to go to a longer list of rides.

For our 6th FP+ we decided to head over to the Magic Carpets of Aladdin, and the FP+ started immediately. The ride would be going down for Refurb the very next day, and it really needed it bad. There were 3 different carpets that didn't work and were covered with tarps, and I would say about 1/2 of the carpets didn't rock back and forth like they are supposed to.

We picked up a 7th FP+ for Haunted Mansion (time was after dinner), went to the Enchanted Tiki Room.

After this we decided to do a Pirate Adventure, which is something we had never done before. The kids absolutely loved it, and wanted to keep doing it over and over until we did all of the different maps. If you haven't done it before, it is similar to Agent P over at Epcot, but you are scanning your MB rather than using a phone, and you go all around Adventureland.

(DS5 isn't squinting in the picture, he was saying "Arrrrgh" like a pirate)

After doing all of the adventure maps it was actually time to start heading to our Be Our Guest reservation that I had snagged 180+ days ago. We arrived early for our our 5:50 reservation, but were told it would be a 20 minute wait from our original ADR time (which ended up not being true, we were in at 5:55). While we waited we took pictures all around the area, but the kids were starting to get hungry and losing their patience.

We had eaten at BOG for lunch multiple times, but never dinner. DW and I got the Potato Leek soup (excellent), and then split the Sautéed Shrimp and Scallops which is no longer served in a puff pastry like every picture I have seen in the past, it just has a small puff pastry on the side now. The kids ordered the grilled cheese (with fries rather than soup) but when the food arrived the mac & cheese showed up instead and the waiter had to quick go get the other. They ended up eating both...

After dinner we had a couple desserts (including the grey stuff) and were then able to meet the Beast too.

We all thought Be Our Guest was good, and enjoyed our meals.... but considering the effort it takes to get an ADR, and the price, I didn't think it was necessarily worth it either, so we will probably just stick to lunch there. It actually ended up being the "worst" TS of the trip, but that was more because all of the others were so good, and not because BOG was bad or anything.

After dinner we went to Haunted Mansion with our FP+. DS7 didn't really want to go because it was "spooky", but we convinced him to try it... and after the ride they couldn't stop talking about the hitchhiking ghosts at the end. They ended up wanted to go again many more times just to see what crazy things they would do.

It was dark now, and getting very cold again, so we decided to head back to the room after a long and productive day. We started getting the kids ready for bed and were able to all 4 watch Wishes, from inside the comfort of our warm room.

After we got the kids to bed I headed back out for a little solo time, which is something we enjoy doing on our trips. I really wanted to try Trader Sam's, so I hopped on the monorail over to the Polynesian.

I arrived expecting to possibly have a little wait based on how busy the rest of the Polynesian was, but when I got into Trader Sam's I was one of only about 8 people in the entire place. The NFL championship game was still going on, and since Trader Sam's doesn't have a TV I think this influenced some people to go elsewhere that particular night. I bet going to Trader Sam's during the Super Bowl would work well too.

I sat up at the main bar so I could watch the bartenders a little more, and enjoyed a HippopotoMai-Tai which was one of my favorite drinks of the entire trip. For $20.50 I decided to just keep the souvenir glass to add it to our collection at home for mixed drinks.

The only downside to it not being as busy was that less drinks were being ordered around the place, so I didn't see as many of the special effects. I hung out for quite a while and enjoyed my drink, talked to the bartender a lot learning about where else he has worked on property, and talked to a couple next to me a little. Even after finishing my drink I stuck around just to enjoy the atmosphere, and eventually decided to head back to the room to get some sleep.

MousePerks

Old 02-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #9
BugsDad
Grand Villa

Love following your trip report! We were there almost the exact same dates.

BugsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #10
Micah008
Grand Villa

Default Day 3 - Hollywood Studios

Monday January 25th
Crowd Level 3

On Monday we ventured a little farther from Bay Lake Tower, finally going somewhere other than Magic Kingdom. We ate breakfast in the room (a danish purchased at the resort), and left the room at 7:45. The bus arrived at 7:51, and we were to HS by 8:10, and the turnstyles by 8:15, a little later than we normally are actually. The farthest lines to the left didn't have very many people in them, and worked well to get in.

They let us into the park at 8:30, but of course are now holding people by the stage for an opening show, where we stayed right over by the CMs that were holding everyone back. Once they finally let us start moving again (8:45) we were part of a big group all heading to Toy Story Mania. It is hard to stay at the front of the group when you are pushing a stroller, since people tend to just cut you off, and don't really let you hold your ground.

We were still on and off the ride quickly, and were over to Rock N Rollercoaster by exactly 9:00. This was the first time for DS7. After getting a Child Swap for later, DS7 was measured at the bottom and top of the line just to make sure he was tall enough (by a hair). He was a little nervous, but was excited to try it because there were no big drops.

Although he looks worried in the picture, he really enjoyed it and wanted to go again a few more times later in the trip.

We then went over to the Star Wars Launch Bay. Both kids were really excited to be able to meet some Star Wars characters, and had been looking forward to this for many weeks before the trip. We saw Darth Vader and Chewbacca, both with 10 minute or less waits. Then we met a Jawa and both kids traded with him.

They look so serious...

We spend a little more time looking around in the Launch Bay, but didn't spend too much more time here.

Next we went over to Star Tours, another new ride for DS5... and a new scene for all of us. DS5 loved the ride, and was really excited to go back later to do it again. We also saw one of the new randomizations in the ride as we actually ran into Jar-Jar rather than going over him. I thought it was cool how they have some new random things within the ride now.

After Star Tours we saw the Muppets show, and then went over to our Toy Story FP+ where the standby wait was up to over 100 minutes by now.

We were going to eat lunch at Min and Bills, but the new menu didn't look very good to us... so we went over to Starring Rolls instead and had some sandwiches.

Next we had a Tower of Terror FP+ which was a new ride for both kids. In the past DS7 was tall enough, but never wanted to go... and we didn't force him to try it until this trip. Both kids went, but neither liked it very much, especially DS5.

We then walked across the park (which really isn't that far) to the Lights Motors Action, and made it with time to spare for the 1:00 show. We wanted to make sure to see it one last time before it closes.

We then got our 4th FP+ for the Great Movie Ride, and were able to immediately go on it. After that, we got our 5th FP+ and Fantasmic was still available which we knew would make our night easier.

We spent the rest of the afternoon shopping a little at Watto's Grotto, going on Star Tours again (with a Child Swap), seeing the Jedi movie, and seeing the Jedi Training Academy.

We then attempted to go to the 4:50 Disney Junior show, but about 3 minutes into the show they had some issues with the parts of the stage that move, and they cancelled the show and asked everyone to leave.

We then had dinner at the Brown Derby. DW and I shared the Margarita flight, which included a Classic Margarita (my favorite), Mango Margarita and Pomegranate Margarita. We had the Cobb Salad appetizer, and for the entree had the Lamb Two Ways. I have now been to Brown Derby twice and had the lamb both times... but they were different each time, and both times were excellent.

After dinner we headed over to Fantasmic with our FP+ but got there late enough we were seated way over on the far side of the theater.

We then headed over to see the Star Wars Fireworks, which I had really been looking forward to. Even though it took longer than planned to get out of the Fantasmic theater, we still had plenty of time to get a good spot to see the fireworks. Thanks to some tips I read on a different site we knew that a good spot was in front of 50's Prime Time down by the water, and when we arrived there was plenty of open space there.

The fireworks show was everything I hoped for, and more. I honestly think it was the best fireworks show I have ever seen... with awesome music of course, perfect timing and design of the fireworks to go with the music, and some new types of fireworks I had never seen before. After the show I immediately started thinking about how we could change our plans later in the week to try to see it again. It. Was. Awesome.

After a long bus ride back to the resort (standing) we got the kids to bed, and it was DWs time for a solo night. She decided that Trader Sam's sounded cool and decided to try to copy my night from the day before. She had to wait about 20-30 minutes to even get in, since the place was much busier. She got the Tahitian Torch, and enjoyed the drink and talking with the people around her at the high-top table. At the end of the night she had planned to take the monorail back to BLT, but it was already closed for the night... so she ended up taking a taxi instead. (a good reason to always keep a little cash with you, even if you plan to pay with the MB for everything)

Back at the room I had a drink myself and did some catching up on reading the forums. Once DW got back we went to bed to get ready for another day at Magic Kingdom.

MousePerks

Last edited by Micah008; 02-28-2016 at 11:41 PM.