home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

Default Frank’s Pineapple Pickin’ Polynesian Provocation

Frank’s Pineapple Pickin’ Polynesian Provocation

…okay, the last word of the title I had to use a Thesaurus for, but it’s the best I could do, needing another “P” word in the title….and I was provoked to anger by many, many things during the trip (I will explain more later). My alternate title was about the “Polynesian Pool-hopping Punks”, but that would have been too focused…they were just one of my “provocations”.

So….I took the girls (DW, DD16, DD10) on our first trip to the PVB…although this was not our first trip to the Polynesian. The Polynesian is where we “fell in love with Disney”, on our 2nd Disney trip in October of 2004. We really love(d) the Poly, and would have stayed there more if the kids hadn’t gotten so big. On all of our previous stays there we did “concierge” or “club level” in the Hawaii building, and if you don’t use your points at the Poly, I strongly urge you to go concierge because it’s the best experience you can have at the Poly.

We were there from July 22 thru July 27th, so if you were at Disney during those days, you might be in some of my photos. Speaking of photos, THERE ARE OVER 400 PHOTOS IN THIS TRIP REPORT, so get out the popcorn, and if you’re at work – don’t get caught reading this instead of working…

For those camera geeks (like me) who are interested, I have been trying to lighten up on my gear so that I’m not dragging around 3 or 4 MASSIVE cameras at a time. I sold all of my full-frame Nikon bodies and lenses and now have opted for the Sony system of mirrorless cameras, plus the amazing Panasonic FZ1000 which many of you will recognize from my last trip report. So….here’s my gear, and I think it’s important to point out (because there were so many doubters) that for the vast majority of this trip, I actually carried only ONE camera at a time:

Sony A7 with 24-240mm lens (full frame)
Sony a6000 with 10-15/4 wide angle
Panasonic FZ1000 (I can’t say enough good things about this camera)
Sony a6000 with 18-55mm lens (DD16’s camera…many of the shots in this report are hers…)
For Typhoon Lagoon, we used two waterproof cameras: the Sony TX10 and Nikon AW120, both of which are pretty poor cameras – but they’re waterproof and take great video
Of course, we all have iPhones, so there might be a small amount of them in this report….

The format of this report will be mostly photos (I can hear the cheering now), but please note that I DO HAVE SOME SERIOUS GRIEVEANCES WITH PVB, which I will outline as we go along. Off the top of my head, here are the WORST things about the PVBs:

Number 1: the boat horns…yes, they ARE as loud as everyone said, and all of the reports that I had previously dismissed as whining are REAL. Those horns are so LOUD that it took us FOUR iPads running white-noise on full blast to drown them out so that we could sleep. I don’t care how good the view is, I don’t see how anyone could get a good night’s sleep in a lake view studio close to the TTC.

Number 2: the complaints about the shower not draining are REAL. Seriously. If you take a shower in the Poly studio, you better do it quickly. Soap scum city.

Number 3: the pool-hopping punks….there is NO EFFECTIVE SECURITY to keep anyone who is not staying at the Poly out of the Volcano pool. It’s EASY to get into the pool area….which resulted in the HUMAN SOUP of a pool and low odds of ever getting out of the blazing July sun because the punks had taken all of the (very limited) shady areas. This was a huge show-stopper for me (after the damn boat horn).

Number 4: the studios, while extremely convenient to the TTC, are REALLY far removed from the main area of the Poly, and the theming shows. Around the pool and Hawaii building, there are tiki torches everywhere….but as you approach the far ends of the Poly, the theming fades quickly….only one single, lonely tiki torch in front of the entire Moorea building. Sad….

Number 5: those aren’t all of my complaints…you’ll see many more as the report goes on…AND you’ll see that there are some really GREAT things about the PVBs also…..

Having vented about that, it’s time for some pictures. We were on the 2nd floor in a lake view, 4th room over from the edge where the TTC is:

….and here is what the SPECTACULAR view from our room was (when the weather was nice…which did NOT happen often in July)

…more to come later….

Last edited by FrankPhillips; 09-02-2015 at 08:22 AM.
FrankPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

4 P's by Frank? I'm in.

Amy's Author Page - A Year of Disney, Camping Disney & Building Awesome Vacations

Amy's Blog
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #3
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

I'm in! I can't wait to see the pics!
disneyridleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

FFFPPPP!

Translation:Frank (F)Phillips Fabulous Pineapple Pickin’ Polynesian Provocation
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
coastak
Grand Villa

Looking forward to the photos and the report

But...

Poly continues to be a epic disaster in every single report I read..

At least you were not in a bungalow wasting all your points while people from the boats floated by and stared at you every 20 minutes through the windows
coastak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:33 PM   #6
Cowcio
Studio

Heading to Poly soon (standard view), looking forward to hearing about some of the great experiences there, as well as the reality of the drawbacks.
Cowcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #7
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastak View Post

Poly continues to be a epic disaster in every single report I read..

At least you were not in a bungalow wasting all your points while people from the boats floated by and stared at you every 20 minutes through the windows
When we were there a couple of weeks ago the people in the boats wouldn't have much to see as it appeared that only one bungalow was occupied. But the pool was at full capacity +, that's for sure!
Old 08-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #8
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdownthehatch View Post
When we were there a couple of weeks ago the people in the boats wouldn't have much to see as it appeared that only one bungalow was occupied. But the pool was at full capacity +, that's for sure!
You nailed it. I predict that they will eventually shift points AWAY from the bungalows (making them more affordable) and toward the studios (making them LESS affordable) in order to get the occupancy up on the bungalows.
FrankPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #9
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Looking forward to your report and your awesome pictures! You aren't the first person to mention that the pool is not being monitored for pool-hoppers. I wonder if management is aware?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

OMG! A Frank Trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote