home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
DVC-Paul
Two Bedroom

Default Update: Post 53 - Our Poly Bungalow Stay

We checked out yesterday after spending 2 nights in one of the Poly Bungalows. I am the type that does not expect all things to be perfect in the World (pun intended), so I don't get too bent out of shape if there are little issues in the villa. With that being said, I think the issues that we saw would drive even the most forgiving guest crazy.

First a few Pros:
  • Location: The view of Wishes from the deck was fantastic. Disney did a great job with the sound system on the deck. The Wishes music was loud, clear and in sync with the fireworks.
  • Interior: The bungalows are beautiful and well laid out. The interior design conveyed the theme without taking it overboard. The decor was very classy.
  • Not bungalow related, but we loved Trader Sam's. The room is much smaller than I expected. The specials effects were fun in a kitschy way.

Now the Cons:
  • The water was off in all of the Bungalows from 8:00am-2:00pm on Tuesday. No one contacted us during the time that the water was off. We called to make them aware of the situation but were never provided any updates, solutions or alternatives for our water needs. After asking, they finally brought us some bottled water so that we could take care of our basic morning water needs.
  • The DVD player was missing.
  • There was no trash can in the kitchen. There was a recycling bin, but no trash can.
  • The door bell volume was turned up so high that it twice scared 2 of us out of our chairs during a business meeting.
  • There were not enough pillows for all of the beds.
  • The construction dust was so thick on the walls and doors that you could write your name with your finger.
  • The ferry horn was loud enough to wake a couple of the members of our travel party. The sound proofing is by no means adequate.
  • As mentioned in another thread, there is some type of plumbing flushing system under each bungalow. This flushes intermittently as is not related to the toilet use at that time. It is very loud and can be heard throughout the villa. It woke several of us during the night.
  • The TV remote is a touch screen Harmony model. It is way too complicated for the casual user. I foresee a few of these ending up on the bottom of Seven Seas Lagoon out of frustration.

We made the front desk aware of all of the issues and were told that someone would be coming to address them. No one ever did.

It appears to me that the construction was either rushed or substandard and they should have done better QA checks prior to opening day.

Last edited by DVC-Paul; 06-14-2015 at 01:17 PM.
DVC-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
coastak
Grand Villa

All those problems sounds like a cheap hotel problems.

I can't understand a weeks vs of studio points for one night in a bungalow. On the transportation hub boat we could see several families on the deck, what was in their tvs and walking around the villa. Probably the least amount of privacy at DVC when you have a full boat of people going by all focused on looking at the bungalows who knows how many times a day
coastak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Very disappointing to hear about your water issues and even worse the lack of response from the resort.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

From what I understand the DVD players for the Polynesian are available on request. I think that's stupid personally, but...

The water issue you mentioned is the worst IMO. I hope they figure out all these issues by the time we go in Oct... PVB in general seems to have issues with basic needs (power, A/C, water)... that's disappointing in a big way.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

good lord, paul.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
MMC1
Grand Villa

Another dvc complaint about Poly studios on another wdwmagic site: Emergency evacuation procedures at Disney Polynesian Villas). The electricity power out at 10:00 a.m. until past 5 and this included electricity elevators and auto glass doors that lead to elevator in PagoPago longhouse. This guest had to help elderly mother down 3 flights of stairs with zero assistance from front desk/security,etc. and endure 90 degree weather!
Not good Disney...
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #7
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

And yet another reason why I'm glad I don't own at the Poly. This sounds like such a cheap construction job that won't be undone easily or cheaply. Dues will either soar....or problems will persist.

I'll stay at the Poly at least once....on my other points...but oh man, this is a sad excuse to ruin that beautiful beach view with these bungalows. They really 'bungled' this one up.
“Too many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won't do that.” ~Walt Disney

Me(32) DW(31) DD(3)
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
Crafty
Grand Villa

I can understand how outages could happen during construction. HOWEVER, guests need to be notified and compensated.

Pretending it isn't happening is not good enough.

I am hopeful that some of these issues will resolve themselves when the resort is completed.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
dizfan
Grand Villa

Sorry you experienced these problems. Please make sure to let DVC member satisfaction know. Hopefully they get tired of hearing about the problems and take action.
Maybe Iger eventually realizes there is a problem with the current DVD decision makers.
dizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #10
LOVINDVC
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
Another dvc complaint about Poly studios on another wdwmagic site: Emergency evacuation procedures at Disney Polynesian Villas). The electricity power out at 10:00 a.m. until past 5 and this included electricity elevators and auto glass doors that lead to elevator in PagoPago longhouse. This guest had to help elderly mother down 3 flights of stairs with zero assistance from front desk/security,etc. and endure 90 degree weather!
Not good Disney...
Wow. Sounds like my stay in Copa Cabana, Bolivia forty years ago...

SSR OWNERS SINCE 2004
LOVINDVC is offline   Reply With Quote