home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #1
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

Default Frank Lightens Up at BLT (400+ Photos)

I added 10 new "forgotten" photos that I missed earlier - go to Page 21 to see them if you've already read the rest of the report...

Greetings, fellow Mouse Owners! It’s time for yet another photo-filled Trip Report from (yet another) visit to (you guessed it…) Bay Lake Tower! I expect to post well in excess of 400 photos in this report, similar to my last one.

Cast: Me, DW, DD9, and DD16 …in a 2BR lake view villa at BLT (DS is in college now and on a different Spring Break schedule)

The title of this report – Frank “Lightens Up” – means that I used smaller cameras on this trip in lieu of my heavy full-frame Nikons and large lenses. On my last trip (past November) I took two Nikon bodies, 6 lenses for the Nikons, a Sony a5000, and a point-and-shoot. It was the two Nikons and the 6 lenses that made everything so bulky and heavy. So this trip, I took it down to three cameras for me and one camera for DD16:

• Canon G1 X Mark II (I was very disappointed with this camera)
• Panasonic FZ1000 (I was absolutely AMAZED with this camera)
• Sony a6000 with ultrawide 10-18mm lens (awesome)
• …and for DD16, an additional Sony a6000 with the compact 16-50mm kit lens

All three of my cameras would fit into the nominal size slingbag that I take on every trip.

In my last trip report I said, “I’ve experimented with smaller, light-weight cameras but I’ve just never gotten the quality I want from them. If you ask me, go ahead and lug the heavy gear because the super high-quality shots you’ll get from the bulky equipment will preserve your memories better than marginal gear.” I now must eat my words because the quality from these newer mirrorless and hybrid cameras is simply astounding. Do they deliver the quality of a full kit of DSLR gear with big, heavy lenses? Of course not…but it’s getting closer and closer with each new generation of cameras. I think DVCMike would agree with me on this.

I was particularly pleased with the Panasonic FZ1000 because it did far more than I expected. The lens goes from 25mm at f/2.8 all the way to 400mm at f/4, and with stabilization to boot! It has a 1” sensor (which is not small, but not large either), just like the Sony R series and the Nikon mirrorless line. It loses some contrast at the long end, but overall it was simply astounding. Dollar for dollar, this is indeed the best camera value in existence today. It’s about the same size and weight as an entry level DSLR but it does SO much more. If I could have only one camera, THIS would be the one.

Please Note: I will add the camera I used for each shot at the bottom right corner of each picture…so before you post “which camera did you use for that shot…” take a look at the reference at the bottom right corner of the photo.

We left BHM on a Thursday evening for a direct flight to MCO (total flight time is about 1 hour), then checked into BLT late, around 10ish, which is the latest we’ve ever checked in. So we just hit the sack because we had a reservation at Crystal Palace first thing the next morning.

Sony a6000 w kit lens

Last edited by FrankPhillips; 05-11-2015 at 08:44 PM.
FrankPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

Before I begin our first day in the Parks, let me tell you about the room we got. It was a 2BR on the 16th floor on the inside “pool view”, all the way down at the end of the hall. It turned out to be one of the best views we’ve ever had. Normally we prefer a lake view facing the marina and Epcot, but I’d take this room and view any day. Here is what you can see from the balcony when you employ the 400mm zoom on the Panasonic FZ1000:

If I’m not mistaken, that’s La Nouba at the extreme left of the frame, but I don’t know what’s in the middle:

Old 04-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #3
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

Before hitting the MK on our first day, I got these shots of the view from our villa:

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

We hit the MK before opening (because of our reservation at CP), so I got to see it pretty vacant, which was unusual…

Canon G1X

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Notice the scrim below….this was gone by our last day there.

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Here is the new expansion area they’ve opened in front of Casey’s:

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Old 04-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Sony a6000 w kit lens

Sony a6000 w kit lens

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

After breakfast, we headed over to Peter Pan to ride before the line got too long…

Canon G1X
Old 04-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

This was our first time to see the new queue at Peter Pan….it’s pretty clever. They have a spot where your shadow can ring “shadow bells” and “shadow butterflies” will land on your hand’s shadow. However, these distractions can really slow down the line…as it does in a very big way on the 7DMT queue…they need to find a way to keep people moving on that one.

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Sony a6000 w kit lens

After PP, we headed over to FrontierLand to ride BTMRR. We took a break at Rapunzel’s Tower first.

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Canon G1X

Canon G1X

Canon G1X

Canon G1X

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Panasonic FZ1000

Panasonic FZ1000

Old 04-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
DVC Data

Cool! I'm in!
DVC Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:46 PM   #7
coastak
Grand Villa

Love the pics so far and always check out your reports. Are you a professional photographer or is it your hobby? Just curious. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

I have been learning with my 10-18 for my canon 7od. Will be following shots with that size lens particulary close.

Last edited by coastak; 04-12-2015 at 10:51 PM.
coastak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #8
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastak View Post
Love the pics so far and always check out your reports. Are you a professional photographer or is it your hobby? Just curious. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

I have been learning with my 10-18 for my canon 7od. Will be following shots with that size lens particulary close.
Not a pro (thank goodness.....it's hard to make a living in that business now), but I've been a camera geek since the mid-80s.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #9
FrankPhillips
Grand Villa

If you see this wait time at 7DMT, don’t believe it. I have no idea why it was showing that.

Sony a6000 w kit lens

Next, we headed over to Tomorrow Land use our SM FPs. My back can’t take the jerkiness of SM, so while the girls rode, I walked around and got these random shots:

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Sony a6000 w 10-18mm

Ever noticed these stairs coming down from Astro Orbiter?
Panasonic FZ1000

Panasonic FZ1000

I wonder where this family was before they came over to Disney? Hmmmmmmm…..
Panasonic FZ1000

Anyone want a Turkey Leg?
Panasonic FZ1000

Panasonic FZ1000

Old 04-12-2015, 11:28 PM   #10
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Long awaited finally started pouring. Nice shots, as you mentioned I like FZ1000.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote