home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #11
LR0929
One Bedroom

Another vote for Hoop Dee Doo!! We’ve gone twice in the past year and a half. Everyone in our party (all ages from 1-65) loved it! The food is delicious and the atmosphere is really fun! We will definitely be going again.
LR0929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #12
bobbafett
Grand Villa

I forgotten about the punch drink. That was nice at the luau. Now crap beer and crap wine.
Definitely one show that has felt the economic downsize.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17.

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #13
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Clearly HDDR is head and shoulders above the rest. I've done HDDR twice in 20 years. It was a good time and the food was good. The others once. IMO the BBQ is dead last. I could not recommend the BBQ less. Unless you have little ones and get right in front of the stage. And even then...meh.

Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Peregrination Chronicles
The Fall of Disney
A Tale of Two Views
Back in the S.S.R.
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN
Spring Surprise
NYE in the World

Coming up...

POP! 12/15-12/18/2017 Merry Christmas Baby!
BCV 12/28/17-1/3/18 Happy New Year!
Fantasy 5/21/2018 BLT-Sea-BWV
Dream 9/17/2018 BLT-Sea-BCV

DVC owner The Three B's BCV BWV BLT
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
Rigby
Two Bedroom

We've done both and Hoop Dee Doo is far more entertaining for the whole family. Have fun!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #15
kreilly
Studio

I have always been partial to Hoop-Dee-Doo, but we gave Spirit another shot this year and we were pleasantly surprised. We actually sat front row at Spirit and the weather was perfect so it felt like we were completely outdoors. Show was great, food was good and the service was solid. For a large family with young kids, this was a winner this year. But I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #16
Axelskater
Two Bedroom

Your teenage sons will enjoy the luau.

Lots of pretty Polynesian girls doing Tahitian dances with coconut bikini tops...

I am in the minority but I love the luau. Love the fire knife dancer, love all the dancers. My husband and I go 3 times a year and never get tired of the music, the singing, the dances, the atmosphere.
Axelskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #17
pdude81
Two Bedroom

I'm a big fan of Mickey's Backyard BBQ as well. If your kids were younger I'd suggest that in a heartbeat, but might not be as fun with teenagers.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #18
rowrbazzle
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
Clearly HDDR is head and shoulders above the rest. I've done HDDR twice in 20 years. It was a good time and the food was good. The others once. IMO the BBQ is dead last. I could not recommend the BBQ less. Unless you have little ones and get right in front of the stage. And even then...meh.
What do you dislike about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
I'm a big fan of Mickey's Backyard BBQ as well. If your kids were younger I'd suggest that in a heartbeat, but might not be as fun with teenagers.
What do you like about it? I was thinking about it for our next trip. Our kids will be 5, not-quite-3, and 1 so we'd only have to pay for 3 meals (I like deals). Still seems rather pricey, though.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #19
MickeyFan787
Two Bedroom

There are just three correct? HDDR, MBBBQ, and Luau?

We did the Luau when I was a kid, I loved it - but we have never been back because my sister was sick and associates it with the experience. We did the HDDR once which was fine, it is all you can eat and the food was not spectacular but I didn't expect that with an all you can eat. The unlimited alcohol was a hit with everyone. And all you can eat fried chicken was a guilty pleasure for many. I really enjoyed being in the Ft. Wilderness area, we did a buggy ride (I can't remember maybe a hay ride?) after and really enjoyed that - actually more than the dinner. Never have done the MBBBQ - would try it out if the family wanted but have low expectations on the food. Want to do the Luau again. I don't expect great food or an authentic show - I just want to see it again - My memory as a kid is pretty spectacular.
MickeyFan787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #20
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
What do you dislike about it?

What do you like about it? I was thinking about it for our next trip. Our kids will be 5, not-quite-3, and 1 so we'd only have to pay for 3 meals (I like deals). Still seems rather pricey, though.
The food was the worst of Disney. The entertainment was geared towards real little kids. The one I was at was a disorganized mess and a stampede for the food. I left early.

Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Peregrination Chronicles
The Fall of Disney
A Tale of Two Views
Back in the S.S.R.
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN
Spring Surprise
NYE in the World

Coming up...

POP! 12/15-12/18/2017 Merry Christmas Baby!
BCV 12/28/17-1/3/18 Happy New Year!
Fantasy 5/21/2018 BLT-Sea-BWV
Dream 9/17/2018 BLT-Sea-BCV

DVC owner The Three B's BCV BWV BLT
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote