home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #61
FCivish3
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dad ADL View Post
Poly has 360 studios and 20 bungalows. So if they increased studios by 1 point, they could decrease bungalows by 18 points.
So they would actually have to increase the studios by several points per night, at least, in order to make any real difference in the point price of the bungalows.

Poly, AKL, BLT
FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #62
Disney Dad ADL
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCivish3 View Post
But the contract specifies that changes in points must be Point Neutral over all. Within each separate resort. So in other words if they lower the price of the poly Bungalows then they must raise the points price for all the studios. This means that in order to correct their mistake studios will become more point expensive and the Bungalotws will become less expensive. Since it seems that about 25% of the poly points are tied up in the Bungalo‘s he could have a massive affect overall. Doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.
Poly has 360 studios and 20 bungalows. So if they increased studios by 1 point, they could decrease bungalows by 18 points per night. I don’t think they will do it, but it’s not out of the question.
Disney Dad ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #63
FCivish3
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
If the studios and bugalows are being booked, then I don't see why they would need to reallocate. I don't know if there is sufficient evidence to say that the bungalows are sitting empty (that was something discussed in the original thread, for what it's worth).
It isn’t that they are sitting empty, it is that they are empty of DVCers. In other words, they are so expensive in points that very few DVC members EVER plan to stay there, they stay somewhere else, but they pay the upkeep, for Disney’s benefit, and then since DVC members aren’t using them, Disney rents them out, at high occupancy rates, for hellishly high prices. They can charge such high prices because the Bungalows are unique, romantic, interesting, but NOT WORTH IT for most DVcers. How often have you ever seen people jump in here and say, “Hey, I love using my DVC points to stay in the Bungalows!”

So, by making the Bungalows so point expensive, and attaching so many points to the Bungalows, Disney was able to deliberately create a situation where they sold something to DVC members, but with every expectation that DVC wouldnt Use it, so Disney gets to rent it out, cost free.

Poly, AKL, BLT
Old 08-11-2018, 09:29 PM   #64
FCivish3
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen99 View Post
The same article has at least 2 paragraphs about why rentals are impacting 7-month bookings.
I am not at all convinced that Rentals significantly affect availability over all. I will admit that they might possibly affect time frames. If someone owns 250 points in most cases they are either going to use them themselves, give them to someone, or Rent them out. No matter which way you choose, the points are most likely to get used. Therefore they will be taking up inventory. So whether they are rented or used by the owner doesn’t affect inventory that much. Though Renters may be affecting the seven month window by taking up the inventory in advance. But, one way or another the points will still be used.

Poly, AKL, BLT

Last edited by FCivish3; 08-11-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #65
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
That would be a great solution. But do you really see Disney doing that? Only if the owners force them to do it.
Short answer is "no", hence the .

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #66
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
It isn’t that they are sitting empty, it is that they are empty of DVCers. In other words, they are so expensive in points that very few DVC members EVER plan to stay there, they stay somewhere else, but they pay the upkeep, for Disney’s benefit, and then since DVC members aren’t using them, Disney rents them out, at high occupancy rates, for hellishly high prices. They can charge such high prices because the Bungalows are unique, romantic, interesting, but NOT WORTH IT for most DVcers. How often have you ever seen people jump in here and say, “Hey, I love using my DVC points to stay in the Bungalows!”

So, by making the Bungalows so point expensive, and attaching so many points to the Bungalows, Disney was able to deliberately create a situation where they sold something to DVC members, but with every expectation that DVC wouldnt Use it, so Disney gets to rent it out, cost free.
I'm not sure it's accurate to say that they're empty of DVCers. It's been reported that DVC occupancy rates at the bungalows are similar to those of the regular rooms. But even if it's all Disney, it's not cost free. They have to pay DVC for the use of the bungalow. I'm not sure on the specifics, but it has been mentioned in one of the other threads on this topic. (There have been a bunch in the recent months.)

As was noted in another different thread, the same could be said of anyone who uses points for a cruise or a regular hotel room or RCI or Disney Adventures. Disney gets access to DVC rooms when that happens too.

If you look at the budget breakdown across the resorts, PVB has the 4th lowest breakage income reported. https://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pr...resort-budgets That would not seem to support the idea that the bungalows are simply being rented for cash from Disney.