home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #31
johnb
Studio

We had another good dinner at Skipper Canteen on Sunday. I was thinking of this thread so I paid attention to my family's comments about the food.

Apps--shu mai, tempura shrimp (a special) and some kind of Brazilian cheese bread. The bread had a rubbery texture (not sure if that is how it's supposed to be or not); it was accompanied with a chimichuri dip/spread that was great. We've had the shrimp before and they got devoured, so it was good to see them back.

Everyone really enjoyed their entrees. Pork, lamb chops, seafood stew and the sustainable fish (seared tilefish with a cassava cake, sauteed spinach and a guava habanero sauce. The sauce was addicting.

Service--very good. Waitress-wise, she was great. But she wasn't big on telling the cheesy Jungle Crusie inspired jokes, which we like.

Overall, it remains on our "rotation" of go to WDW restaurants.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #32
Axelskater
Two Bedroom

The "Tastes Like Chicken", wedge salad appetizer, and whole fried fish are consistently very good. The service is always great and fun. We eat at the restaurant on almost every trip to Disney.
Axelskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #33
Miki
Studio

Skipper Canteen was a one and done for us. It just was blah and not good all around. Too bad because it is nicely themed. It’s been awhile but I remember a dry chicken dish, a steak salad that had very little steak and not memorable. We all left saying, we wouldn’t hurry back again.
Most places at MK leave a lot to be desired in our opinion. We usually avoid eating a meal there. Most of the time we end up at Columbia Harbour House upstairs to get away from the crowds, or as others have said, way back in Pecos Bills. But our preference is to leave the park all together for a meal.

Home resorts: BLT, BWV, and VWL
Miki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #34
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb View Post
We had another good dinner at Skipper Canteen on Sunday. I was thinking of this thread so I paid attention to my family's comments about the food.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Quote:
Apps--shu mai, tempura shrimp (a special) and some kind of Brazilian cheese bread. The bread had a rubbery texture (not sure if that is how it's supposed to be or not); it was accompanied with a chimichuri dip/spread that was great. We've had the shrimp before and they got devoured, so it was good to see them back.
I've always enjoyed the appetizers and would dine there for those alone. Actually, it would keep the meal a bit lighter!

Quote:
Everyone really enjoyed their entrees. Pork, lamb chops, seafood stew and the sustainable fish (seared tilefish with a cassava cake, sauteed spinach and a guava habanero sauce. The sauce was addicting.
None of those things were the chicken! At our table, the chicken was incredibly disappointing. The person who had the steak had a truly great steak. If I'd had that instead, I'd be raving about SC instead of giving it a mixed review.

Quote:
Service--very good. Waitress-wise, she was great. But she wasn't big on telling the cheesy Jungle Crusie inspired jokes, which we like.

Overall, it remains on our "rotation" of go to WDW restaurants.
We've always had great service. Our server did a few lines that were quite crafty. I'm not ready to write it off, but we have friends who will never go back. It will probably be awhile before I go back, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelskater View Post
The "Tastes Like Chicken", wedge salad appetizer, and whole fried fish are consistently very good. The service is always great and fun. We eat at the restaurant on almost every trip to Disney.
I wish I had your chicken. Our was extremely - EXTREMELY - dry, and the breading was quite tough. Seriously - three-day-old stale bread tough. I really couldn't fathom why the dish was so popular. I would chalk it up to a bad lot, except one table mate had the same experience and another enjoyed hers. Though I'm no highly suspicious of her food credentials for having done so!

If go back, it will only be because there are other items I want instead of the chicken.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #35
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki View Post
Skipper Canteen was a one and done for us. It just was blah and not good all around. Too bad because it is nicely themed. It’s been awhile but I remember a dry chicken dish, a steak salad that had very little steak and not memorable. We all left saying, we wouldn’t hurry back again.
Most places at MK leave a lot to be desired in our opinion. We usually avoid eating a meal there. Most of the time we end up at Columbia Harbour House upstairs to get away from the crowds, or as others have said, way back in Pecos Bills. But our preference is to leave the park all together for a meal.
We enjoy Columbia Harbor House for the same reason. I'm amazed at how easy it is to get a table in the link looking out over the Fantasyland walkway.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #36
Boundin'
Grand Villa

I ate there when they first opened and did not like the food. I should probably give it another shot. But why bother when the egg roll cart and a Dole whip are so close.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #37
Joeli
Two Bedroom

Does Pecos Bills still do the Fajita plate that has enough food on it to feed 2 people? When there last week made a mistake and ordered the chicken nachos (it was still tasty, but was trying to feed two people).

Upcoming:
Sept 2020 - DCL Fantasy
May 2020 - PVB
Apr 2020 - PVB
Mar 2020 - PVB
Feb 2020 - BWV
Dec/Jan 2020 - PVB/BWV (Split for NYE)
Dec 2019 - RCCL Allure of the Seas
Nov 2019 - BWV
Oct 2019 - BWV

Done:
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan, BWV, BLT
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #38
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
We enjoy Columbia Harbor House for the same reason. I'm amazed at how easy it is to get a table in the link looking out over the Fantasyland walkway.

Dirk

Funny.....We "rarely" ever eat in MK. We EAT AT rystal Palace about once a year, for the characters. And Columbia Harbor House about once every 2 years. If anything, Mk is more of a "snacking" park for us.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #39
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Definitely inconsistent but still a must do for us in the MK due to themeing and I love hamming it up with the wait staff. DW says my retirement gig should be a boat captain on Jungle Cruise as I am a master of campy jokes.

Our first visit after it first opened and a more eclectic menu was better than our last. Menu is getting less interesting but still better than anything else in the park and wine is reasonably priced.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #40
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Dirk
We ate there our first day to avoid loud and crazy. Sadly it was exactly the opposite location for us our last MK day. So we left the park and went to Contemporary to eat instead. Really do like CH though but sad that there aren't better options.