home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #171
richviii
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Then Air Tran came to Baltimore and the price wars between SWA and Air Tran had us bouncing between the two. Delta and United really are not options in Baltimore. Historically, it was a US Air hub before they consolidated to Philly. Once US Air moved, SWA came in and quickly became the dominate airline at BWI. United and Delta barely serve the BWI market and never compete price wise.
Since all the airline mergers, pricing has been crappy all over. Around the Baltimore-DC-Philly market, it seems that each airport has just a single dominant airline. And there is little competition between each airport or airline.
I miss the AirTran/SWA price fair battles. I can get to DCA, IAD and BWI in about the same time. BWI is such an easier airport in many ways. With a companion pass for the second year and a-list status, I pretty much only fly SWA at this point. Prices have continually crept up at BWI but don't have much choice. I find others with far fewer options to get as many places as we can via SWA so we are somewhat spoiled.

Recent
2019 Jan - AKV, Apr - HHI, Apr - CCV, BCV, May - Off-Site 2018 Jan - Swan & Dolphin, Apr - BCV, July - Disneyland, Sept - BLT, Nov - Swan & Dolphin, BLT 2017 Apr- BWV/BLT, Aug - VGC and Aulani, Dec - BWV & BLT 2016 Dec- BLT, Dec - Disneyland, Aug - Disney CX Summit - GF, Apr - BWV/BTL, 2015 - Nov - BWV/S&D, June - Off-Site, Apr - Contemporary/Off-Site, Feb - S&D, Jan 15 - Off-Site, 2014 - Nov - BLT, Aug - Off-Site, May - Off-Site, Mar - Off-Site, 2013 - Nov - Off-Site, Jun - Off-Site, 2012 Nov - Off-Site
richviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #172
cali09
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
Does anyone have any idea when Spirit is going to release their fares, or is that a secret?
I'm not sure when they opened, but the schedule through at least early January 2020 is up on their website.

Prices on our route are not great

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:43 PM   #173
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali09 View Post
I'm not sure when they opened, but the schedule through at least early January 2020 is up on their website.

Prices on our route are not great
Thanks for letting me know. Our prices were ok...if we didnít bring any bags and didnít pick our seat. Haha. Looks like Iíll be waiting on a fare sale.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #174
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Southwest next opening flight dates. On July 10, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through March 6, 2020. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #175
swat08
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
Southwest next opening flight dates. On July 10, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through March 6, 2020. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.
Thank you!!
swat08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #176
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by richviii View Post
I miss the AirTran/SWA price fair battles. I can get to DCA, IAD and BWI in about the same time. BWI is such an easier airport in many ways. With a companion pass for the second year and a-list status, I pretty much only fly SWA at this point. Prices have continually crept up at BWI but don't have much choice. I find others with far fewer options to get as many places as we can via SWA so we are somewhat spoiled.
I just miss AirTran, period. Nonstops Dayton to Orlando! A business class section that was easy to upgrade to! These days I have to drive to Columbus to fly Southwest. At least that's still a nonstop.
Who is flying those 717's these days? Or are they just parked out in the desert somewhere?

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #177
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
It seems like every time they update this I have to buy more plane tickets to Orlando.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #178
TexasChick
Grand Villa

So...there is currently a fall sale on SWA advertising routes as low as $59 each way. I live in the 4th largest city in the country which is one of the hubs for SWA. Here are the routes which qualify for $59/way:

Houston to Corpus Christi, TX
Houston to Harligen, TX

The next cheapest is Houston to Austin, TX for $104/way. Where is the sale?!?

I cannot imagine flying to Corpus, Harligen or Austin. We'd just drive. Am I the only one who rarely seems to see an actual sale? Oh, and those prices to those places aren't really sales prices. If they charged more than that, almost no one would fly there from Houston. Austin is 2.5 hours from Houston, Corpus is about 3.5 hours, and Harligen is only about 5 hours away. You'd get there faster if you drove rather than driving to the airport, parking, doing all the things you do in an airport, then the flight time, and then getting out of said airport. Maybe you could fly to Harligen quicker, but not if there is a delay of any kind. Sorry for the rant. I am just so sick of these prices being advertised as "sales". Where are the real sales in the last year or so out of Houston?!?
Old 06-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #179
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
It seems like every time they update this I have to buy more plane tickets to Orlando.
I normally would but we moved our March trip a week to make sure F&G has started when we arrive. Started the day after we left last year.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #180
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
So...there is currently a fall sale on SWA advertising routes as low as $59 each way. I live in the 4th largest city in the country which is one of the hubs for SWA. Here are the routes which qualify for $59/way:

Houston to Corpus Christi, TX
Houston to Harligen, TX

The next cheapest is Houston to Austin, TX for $104/way. Where is the sale?!?

I cannot imagine flying to Corpus, Harligen or Austin. We'd just drive. Am I the only one who rarely seems to see an actual sale? Oh, and those prices to those places aren't really sales prices. If they charged more than that, almost no one would fly there from Houston. Austin is 2.5 hours from Houston, Corpus is about 3.5 hours, and Harligen is only about 5 hours away. You'd get there faster if you drove rather than driving to the airport, parking, doing all the things you do in an airport, then the flight time, and then getting out of said airport. Maybe you could fly to Harligen quicker, but not if there is a delay of any kind. Sorry for the rant. I am just so sick of these prices being advertised as "sales". Where are the real sales in the last year or so out of Houston?!?
Turns out that we live in Harlingen (you forgot the "n", but that's OK) and I really appreciate the notice about the sale. For those of us who drive to MD Anderson in Houston on a regular basis, it's a choice of a 10+ hour round-trip, or the cost of an overnight in a hotel. Usually, even on "sale" it costs over $100 each way to fly, but this sale may be doable. Thanks!
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote