home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #21
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HepperSchepp View Post
I think it's just interesting to see what the spread is between Disney Hotel vs DVC becuase it's really all over the map. With the Spring Sun & Fun offers, the effective value of DVC points is barely the rental price, while in the fall it's 2x that. Also the 1 bedroom premium screws things ups. Disney charges 1.5x for a 1 bedroom while the DVC premium is 2x.
I just ran the offer yesterday and for BWV the Standard studio is listed at $600+ per night in early March. Renting a preferred BWV studio at $20 is $380 per nightif it were available. I expect everyone to check all prices and discounts prior to renting.
If it’s not a good deal, don’t rent and go with the best option.
Bottom line, DVC members don’t have to chase discounts to rent.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #22
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafiro View Post
Just as we’ve seen the open market set the price for resale points (although there is a little interference with the ROFR brake), so too will buyers and sellers / renters and owners / demand and supply set the pricing for rentals. There is no “fair” or “right”. If someone gets a “gouging” price for their rental, then someone else perceived its value. If someone “subsidizes” with a low price rental, then someone else gets a deal. Just let it ride and follow the trends. No good or bad in this; just business as usual.
this is mouseowners...not mouserenters. premium owners need to recognize the value of their points.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #23
jpc1073
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
$17/point for premium resorts is way TOO reasonable...subsidizing renter's vacation. for vgf and blt? oh my. owners of premium resorts DO NOT need to rent below brokers and can certainly get more than brokers in some cases.
As someone who has, for the past many years, rented points through various brokers and NEVER ONCE had an issue getting the reservation I wanted, I have a hard time subscribing to this train of thought.

Ok, hear me out before you all pile on top of me.

As has been mentioned before, there is a certain comfort level in renting though a broker that is:
- probably licensed
- insured
- incorporated or an LLC.
- accredited through the Better Business Bureau
- can be reviewed by various unaffiliated websites

I would not achieve that same comfort level in renting from a complete stranger on a rent / trade board.

Let's switch gears for a second. Say you are in the market for a used car. You find two vehicles that are identical; same year / make / model / mileage / bells & whistles / PRICE. Once is being sold through a small time used car dealer. The other is being sold through a large nationally known car dealership. Both are reputable places, offering the exact same car at the exact same price. Who do you buy from??? I am willing to bet most people would prefer to make their purchase from the large nationally know car dealership. They probably feel if there is a problem with their investment, it would be easier to resolve with the larger national dealership rather than the smaller used car lot.

For that used car dealership (ie, individual on a rent / trade board) to steal my business from the nationally known dealership (ie, broker), they would have to incentivize me in some way, the easiest of which is lower cost. And the savings would have to be significant for me to forgo my comfort level and accept more risk.

Ok. Off my pedastal. Time to pile on the guy with the low post count!
jpc1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #24
Presley
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc1073 View Post
As someone who has, for the past many years, rented points through various brokers and NEVER ONCE had an issue getting the reservation I wanted, I have a hard time subscribing to this train of thought.
I understand being brand new to this board or any other board and not knowing anyone and if you can trust them. Do you think you will feel differently after you see the same people posting over the course of a couple years regarding their renting procedures?

I have a different take on that if I have seen someone post over a couple years, while they are still a stranger on the internet, I do feel like I somewhat "know" them and know what to expect. When dealing with the brokers, I have no idea who the third party owner is and if they are reliable or not. Yes, the brokers guarantee a place to stay. However, they have no way to guarantee the owner will pay their dues and not cancel your reservation. The broker will set you up somewhere else, but I'd rather know exactly who I am renting from. If I was going to rent from a broker, I wouldn't know who I was renting from because they are just a middle man.
Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #25
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

As has been mentioned before, there is a certain comfort level in renting though a broker that is:
- probably licensed
- insured

I would not achieve that same comfort level in renting from a complete stranger on a rent / trade board.

Let's switch gears for a second. Say you are in the market for a used car. You find two vehicles that are identical; same year / make / model / mileage / bells & whistles / PRICE. Once is being sold through a small time used car dealer. The other is being sold through a large nationally known car dealership. Both are reputable places, offering the exact same car at the exact same price. Who do you buy from??? I am willing to bet most people would prefer to make their purchase from the large nationally know car dealership. They probably feel if there is a problem with their investment, it would be easier to resolve with the larger national dealership rather than the smaller used car lot.

For that used car dealership (ie, individual on a rent / trade board) to steal my business from the nationally known dealership (ie, broker), they would have to incentivize me in some way, the easiest of which is lower cost. And the savings would have to be significant for me to forgo my comfort level and accept more risk.

You're basing on your own comfort level and choice. That's fine. Everyone gets to make their own decision. There actually have been times where brokers haven't had the points or had to increase their offers to owners to get the points. AKV was considered non-premium by them a year or two ago. And.....owners weren't going with them and we saw people complaining about not being able to book AKV any further than 7 months out with brokers.

There actually can be some pluses of booking with an individual that you won't get with a broker. So I'm not certain there's a pedestal you're on - you've just made a choice with your comfort level. And owners also get to choose how they rent their points and for what.

Last edited by Goofygrl; 01-16-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Goofygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #26
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

- probably licensed
- insured

Owners provide services at the personnel level brokers can not provide.
Owners know if they have points or not, brokers don't, they have to send out email before they will answer you.
Brokers do not have premium points at high numbers, try getting those reservation then let us know.

You do not need to rent from owners period, no one is forcing you.

AFAIK only 1-2% timeshares gets rented thru brokers most timeshares gets rented by owners directly.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #27
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Owners provide services at the personnel level brokers can not provide.
Owners know if they have points or not, brokers don't, they have to send out email before they will answer you.
Brokers do not have premium points at high numbers, try getting those reservation then let us know.

You do not need to rent from owners period, no one is forcing you.

AFAIK only 1-2% timeshares gets rented thru brokers most timeshares gets rented by owners directly.
Renting directly through an owner builds up a relationship if you plan on renting regularly .

And the price per point is often lower than the brokers price . 😏
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #28
Redhead58
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post
Renting directly through an owner builds up a relationship if you plan on renting regularly .

And the price per point is often lower than the brokers price . 😏

I don't rent much but some years I haven't gone and I have a small pool of renters who have rented from me a few times each in years I didn't go. It is a nice relationship and I feel comfortable with them, and vice versa I hope. We are Facebook friends so we see our personal activities some too.

BLT
BWV
CCV
Redhead58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #29
DougEMG
Grand Villa

If
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
$17/point for premium resorts is way TOO reasonable...subsidizing renter's vacation. for vgf and blt? oh my. owners of premium resorts DO NOT need to rent below brokers and can certainly get more than brokers in some cases.

Agree with you here.

I am renting out some BLT points for $18 and the second thing the renter asked was if I would do it for $17 since that is what everyone else was asking .

need the owners to realize what their points are worth and costs them so as to not let them go for a steal.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #30
jrm1504
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
If

Agree with you here.

I am renting out some BLT points for $18 and the second thing the renter asked was if I would do it for $17 since that is what everyone else was asking .

need the owners to realize what their points are worth and costs them so as to not let them go for a steal.

I did some BLT at $17 last month. I was asked about doing less. I compiled the average "ask" from two boards listing BLT points for rent and came up with a weighted average of $17.52. There wasn't any more discussion about price.

Not only that, no one had enough to make the reservation. Sort of puts you in the drivers seat.
2007 DW All Star Sports
2011 DW Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 DW Dolphin
2013 DW BCV (our wedding)
2015 DW BLT (son's 1st b'day)
2015 VWL
2016 DL Grand Cal
2018 BLT and BWV

jrm1504 is offline   Reply With Quote