home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2020, 10:51 PM   #1
BUtigger5
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Renting from ScooterBug

Hey fellow MOs. This will be our first trip back since Disney implemented their new policy prohibiting Kingdom Strollers and Magic Strollers from delivering and dropping off at Bell Services. I see that ScooterBug is now the only approved vendor. Has anyone used them for the strollers? Are they as clean and well kept as the other vendors were? Appreciate any feedback.
BUtigger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:45 PM   #2
GoofyCoaster

We used scooterbug for a stroller rental in mid December. We got a single Bob and it was clean and looked brand new. It was delivered right on time and was waiting at bell services. My credit card was also charged correctly. Hooray.

We had previously used magic stroller but with the bell services changes, did not want to bother with the extra logistics.

Scooterbug was able to deliver to one Disney resort and pickup at another since we did a split stay. It could not be reserved that way online, but was arranged with a quick email.

FWIW, I preferred the city mini GT from magic, which scooterbug does not carry. The Bob is bulky and heavy getting on and off the bus. The GT is lighter and folds easier, IMO. But DS exceeded the height and weight limit of the standard city mini carried by scooterbug, so we had to move up to the Bob.

The only real negative was no option to choose a rain cover during the reservation process. So ended up with a wet kid and wet stroller.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #3
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyCoaster View Post
We used scooterbug for a stroller rental in mid December. We got a single Bob and it was clean and looked brand new. It was delivered right on time and was waiting at bell services. My credit card was also charged correctly. Hooray.

We had previously used magic stroller but with the bell services changes, did not want to bother with the extra logistics.

Scooterbug was able to deliver to one Disney resort and pickup at another since we did a split stay. It could not be reserved that way online, but was arranged with a quick email.

FWIW, I preferred the city mini GT from magic, which scooterbug does not carry. The Bob is bulky and heavy getting on and off the bus. The GT is lighter and folds easier, IMO. But DS exceeded the height and weight limit of the standard city mini carried by scooterbug, so we had to move up to the Bob.

The only real negative was no option to choose a rain cover during the reservation process. So ended up with a wet kid and wet stroller.
It's too bad to hear that the Disney preferred vendor doesn't offer products that work well for the guest. An email both to Disney and Scooterbug describing your experience and needs could help them upgrade their offerings.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
John2247
Two Bedroom

This is good to know as my brother-in-law is planning on renting one on the next trip.

John
Old 01-14-2020, 10:23 PM   #5
GoofyCoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
It's too bad to hear that the Disney preferred vendor doesn't offer products that work well for the guest. An email both to Disney and Scooterbug describing your experience and needs could help them upgrade their offerings.

Dirk
Good suggestion. I sent a quick email this evening with the feedback. Scooterbug replied within the hour and seemed appreciative.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:39 AM   #6
FCivish3
One Bedroom

We used Scooterbug in late October, soon after Disney came out with their new policies, and, frankly, Scooterbug seemed overwhelmed. They did not get information correct, did not get billing correct, did not record changes that we called to ask for, which they said they would take care of, and a few other things. In addition, we had 4 people in our party of 12 who were using scooters. One of them called Scooterbug several weeks before our trip to cancel their reservation. Scooterbug person said it would be taken care of. So we stayed at one resort for 2 or 3 days and then switched to a different resort and finally a 3rd resort. We were 7 days into a 10 day trip when Scooterbug called us to ask us why we had not picked up the scooter that they had dropped off for this person at the first resort.

The problem was severe enough that I have decided to bypass them and I purchased one of those smaller, more portable scooters that easily disassembles into 4 parts, none of which weigh more than 30 pounds, for my wife to take on our trip in 2 weeks. It should be easy enough to take on the airplane and we won't have to deal with double billing and similar problems.

I'm sure a lot of Scooterbugs problems were simply the fact that they suddenly had too much business and must have hired some new, inexperienced people, but it was frankly a big mess for us.

Poly, AKL, BLT

FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Good suggestion. I sent a quick email this evening with the feedback. Scooterbug replied within the hour and seemed appreciative.
I'm certain they'll respond if they get enough suggestions. After all, there is money to be made and Scooterbug's unique access is a huge plus.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:21 PM   #8
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCivish3 View Post

The problem was severe enough that I have decided to bypass them and I purchased one of those smaller, more portable scooters that easily disassembles into 4 parts, none of which weigh more than 30 pounds, for my wife to take on our trip in 2 weeks. It should be easy enough to take on the airplane and we won't have to deal with double billing and similar problems.
Just realize that if you're in the park and her scooter breaks down, or God forbid, gets stolen, you're on your own. If you rent one, they'll replace it and your vacations saved. That's why, even though I have a scooter exactly like you describe, I leave it at home and still rent at WDW.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
runner1219

Quote:

I always bring a bunch of those cheap ponchos on every trip. When my son was in a stroller (I brought my own cheap umbrella stroller) I used to just throw that over it to keep everything dry. It also made it easier to find in the sea of other strollers when it had a whatever colored poncho on it.
runner1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #10
FCivish3
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Just realize that if you're in the park and her scooter breaks down, or God forbid, gets stolen, you're on your own. If you rent one, they'll replace it and your vacations saved. That's why, even though I have a scooter exactly like you describe, I leave it at home and still rent at WDW.
I realize this, but I'm not concerned.

First of all, I am testing my wife's scooter out over the last few weeks to determine exactly how far it can go.

Second, if it breaks down, I can always rent one temporarily at the front of the parks, from Disney, or I can call any one of a half dozen companies and have one delivered the next morning, though I will have to be there to receive it.

I'm not saying Scooter Bug is all bad. Far from it. Anyone can have problems and I'm sure, like I said, they were just overwhelmed at first or had some new people, and probably have corrected everything. Also, my 36 year old daughter, who appears to be in perfect health has a long term fracture in her back, which will never heal. Her surgeon has told her she cannot walk more than 20 minutes at a time. So, she uses a scooter at times, and she still likes to get it from Scooterbug. She is also going on our trip and is going to try to walk, despite her doctor's orders, but if she can't she will most likely call Scooterbug.

Most rental places will have availability on short notice. I have had other people call them up, like the 3rd day we are in the park, to get a scooter. We have not had problems with availability from the private vendors at Disney World except in the most busy seasons, sometimes.

Poly, AKL, BLT

FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote