home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Oh, No, They Didn't!!!!! (Guests Behaving Badly)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #11
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Listening to DH tell me why a person shouldn't be on a wheeled device irritates the **ck out of me - as he knows. What I really don't like is my 35yo sons reaction - which I load on DH.

As for the 'phone absorbed', I beep. The high pitched sounds usually work. Course it irritates the **ck out of DH. 2-fer
Old 08-25-2019, 08:19 AM   #12
John2247
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
My mother would have grabbed me by the back of the neck and brought me over to apologize.
Mine too! What has happened to common courtesy in our world today? But I see this type of behavior on TV news all the time. I people feel they have to belittle someone else to make their selves seem important.

John
Old 08-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #13
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazy View Post
Sorry that happened. I’m sure everyone was tired and a little edgy, but that doesn’t make it right. I have a 17 yo and if he ever said something like that I would have belted him as soon as he opened his mouth. He wouldn’t ever, but if he did, he had better get out of arms reach fast and run.
While I appreciate the sentiment - and agree - I hope you'd wait until back in the room to belt him so I don't have to experience it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
what goes around, comes around.
Very true
Old 08-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #14
bassetbeauty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Woulda been better had the kid made the apology. Actually, woulda been better had he not said it in the first place, of course. At least the mom realized it was wrong.

Cheers.
THIS was exactly my thought.
The kid should have apologized. What lesson was learned by him...that mommy will always go to bat for him?
bassetbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:40 AM   #15
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

I am sorry that happened to your wife . Uncommon at wdw. I have often references to people’s weight using in a scooter. I heard a dad say to his young son “look at that miss piggy falling off the sides “ They both laughed .
This Miss Piggy was tempted to run them over .

Another comment I have hear was during an exit from Fantasmic was “ why all the scooters ? Why not make them wait? “.

I thought to my self why not let them go first . Now I leave during the fireworks so I can beat the crowd .

Last edited by Shewill; 08-25-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:02 PM   #16
disneycrazy
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
While I appreciate the sentiment - and agree - I hope you'd wait until back in the room to belt him so I don't have to experience it.

Very true
Not likely. He’d get a backhand to the arm. That said, he would never do it.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:29 PM   #17
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post

As for the 'phone absorbed', I beep. The high pitched sounds usually work. Course it irritates the **ck out of DH. 2-fer
When running, if people walking are blocking the whole path, I will wait until I am right behind them, and yell "on your left." Fun to watch them jump

Cheers.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #18
mdplus5
Studio

We had a similar (though non-Disney) experience a few weeks ago when I brought my kids and a few friends down to the Cape for low tide pools & sunset at Mayflower Beach. My 15 year old, who has ASD, has become very passionate about trash and recycling, and he brings a pincher & trash/recycling bags everywhere we go so he can clean up. As we were leaving the beach that night, I was several feet behind my kids & their friends, and a group of teenagers was making fun of my son & one of them asked the others if they saw the "retarded kid picking up trash."

I wanted to strangle him, but them I remembered:

1) My "retarded kid" is a talented artist with straight As in his Honors/AP classes
2) My "retarded kid" has a hobby that occasionally inconveniences me but is focused on helping the environment
3) I have too much joint pain- probably wouldn't get a good grip anyway
4) I hate when people say "retarded," but I would never actually inflict harm on anyone

I didn't say anything (this time) because I didn't want to cause a scene that might end up making my son feel self-conscious, but if they were 30 feet ahead, I probably would have.

Last edited by mdplus5; 08-25-2019 at 10:15 PM.
mdplus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:11 PM   #19
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

I’m sorry this happened. What a tool.

As for everyone talking about belting the kid and stuff like that, I hope you are just making a joke. As someone that lives with and works with youth physically beaten, I can give you a few simple realities:

1.) It doesn’t work. You just think it does and it feels like justice.
2.) It perpetuates a cycle. The violence will likely be returned to future children andr spouses.

This is when a bunch of anecdotal responses like to chime in and say “kids are soft today” and “my dad did that to me and I turned out fine.” Anecdotal evidence is not equal to statistical evidence.
“Too many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won't do that.” ~Walt Disney

Me(34) DW(33) DD(5)
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #20
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

I was at a dinner on a road trip driving through Idaho. We ate dinner with a couple of late teens at a Teppanyaki restaurant.

My 5 year old said after bragging about a gulp of water she took after pretending to be a fish with big cheeks “Daddy, I swallowed it all.” The teen girl mimicked a blowjob motion to her boyfriend and whispered to her friend.

It was the end of the meal and I handled the way I felt best. I asked my wife and daughter to go to the car. I stared them both and let them know exactly what I heard them say and do. I reminded them that they aren’t as clever or as quiet as they thought. At this point, my voice was firm and I was going to gauge their initial reaction based on what I would say next and since they had the “deer in headlights pantshitter look” I left it at that. I reminded them that they are lucky I am a levelheaded person and that their mouth would get them into real trouble one day if they didn’t wise up. They apologized. I accepted. End of story.
“Too many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won't do that.” ~Walt Disney

Me(34) DW(33) DD(5)
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote