home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #21
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCjj View Post
Sorry, you are right. I guess I was looking for an actual room instead of both shower capability in the same little washroom. That isn't a great option for my guests or family that come with me but it would work out for other guests with little ones I'm sure.

Pretty washrooms too.
PVB is definitely the best having two different spaces to shower and get ready. I hate when bathrooms put the toilet and sink in another room instead of just adding another sink, also. Technically they are different rooms since you can close the door in between and exit to the hall, but it's not an ideal setup.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #22
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarco11 View Post
Is this the recommended order of operations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
That makes it easiest - resale first then direct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMagic View Post
But would that matter if I end up with two different resorts? We wanted to buy Poly since the moment we heard it was going to happen
Here's my thoughts. You love the Poly, so buy there. Unless you might want 1B's or 2B's someday, since the Poly doesn't have those. If you might, then get BLT instead. It's just as easy to access Epcot with the monorail right there. I personally don't consider Poly a good buy because of the room choices being Studio-only. These is much competition for these rooms and you don't want to be in that bucket. So I'd recommend BLT over Poly, which we bought to be just as close to everything but have options.

Recommended order... there's obviously two paths...

Resale first... Closing on a resale contract will take time. Maybe 6 months. That contract may or may not come with enough points or close fast enough to book your first trip. You're committing to HAVING to buy direct to get those benefits, so there's no half-way. You're going in resale AND direct if you start resale. But, you can buy just 75 direct.

Direct first... Here it'll be easy to get what you want and close within a month. However the minimum new customer buy-in is 100 pts (someone confirm?) so you're buying 25 points more direct than necessary to qualify for the blue card perks.

But, you could very well buy just those 100 Poly points, be happy and chill for several years. There's no pressure at that point to get more, so your total expense can and likely will cap there, until such time in the future that you decide you want more than those 100. If the 100 works for you, you're good. If you want to add on, add on resale.

Your guide will tell you Poly and BLT are not an option, but if you waitlist them, they should come thru. Maybe it'll take a bit. I think I was lucky to get our small direct BLT buy come thru when we did it.

Don't get 2 resorts... Unless you simply want 2 resorts. Better to have 1 to have a unified pool of points at one place. If over the years you feel you're going all the time and you really need a 2nd resort, consider it then but at least up front there is no need to go in so heavy.

I would get the 100 direct now, wherever you love most (keeping in mind the Poly only has Studios and Bungalows). Then see how it goes and (maybe) add on in a few years resale.
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #23
cw62803
One Bedroom

I have a combination of resale and direct points (all at SSR.) I bought resale first and then added direct points. I'm glad I did it in that order. The resale process took a long time: several months. Adding the direct points was a snap. One phone call to Disney - paid by credit card over the phone - points were available to use almost instantly.

I was able to purchase the exact number of points I needed to get a blue card, which was great considering the inflated price Disney charges for direct points. Use year was matched automatically. If they do not have the exact contract you want, they put you on a waitlist. They are very good at finding the contract you seek.
cw62803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #24
ajc
Grand Villa

if you want Poly ask to be placed on a direct purchase waitlist.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #25
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCjj View Post
Sorry, you are right. I guess I was looking for an actual room instead of both shower capability in the same little washroom. That isn't a great option for my guests or family that come with me but it would work out for other guests with little ones I'm sure.

Pretty washrooms too.
There's a door dividing the 2 rooms. It really is two separate shower areas. Just like VGF except they switched the sink into the section with the tub and the toilet into the section with the walk in shower.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #26
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Okay so this is interesting. I hadn't given thought to which to purchase first, and I'm not 100% clear on why? Is it the use year factor? But would that matter if I end up with two different resorts? We wanted to buy Poly since the moment we heard it was going to happen, but it's taken until now to really be able to do something about it. We probably spend more time visiting that one resort than any other... including the resort we usually stay in POR.

Mostly, the new resort, while not Poly has direct access to EPCOT and that's our favorite. So I know anytime we'd spend there we'd be happy, but our cultish love for Poly (our summer cottage is named Ohana House ) made me want to buy that resale.

My cousin owns at BLT and gave me the heads up on the bigger changes to direct vs resale. I've been on this site off and on, trying to keep up since 2008, but apparently REALLY fell out of the loop. So I wanted to try to have the same benefits as what existed in my head for DVC, but still stay at Poly, which is our big ol' dream

Also : apologies if this is something you guys always answer, I'm trying to catch up on the forum as well so I can get a clue!!
Because resale contracts are not standard - ie, number of points in the contract, number of points available in the contracts, price per point etc. it's easier to do the resale first and purchase a contract you like and can come to an agreement with the seller on. Then once that closes you can add in direct with Disney and they match the UY. There's no negotiating direct - just pick up the phone and say you want to add on. Resale contracts have a lot of variance so a little flexibility in UY is good to have since most buyers have at least a couple of UY's that will tend to work well for them.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #27
MouseMagic
Studio

Okay, I think there were some questions on what type of room.

Right now we're able and used to staying in POR in a typical 1 room/2 bed setup when at Disney. We just go to Poly almost daily for food etc, but have never had the chance to stay.

We also could be happy staying at 1 resort for one trip and the other for the next.

There is only three of us, our daughter is 13, but since we travel for her soccer almost bi-weekly, we're used to sharing hotel space without issue Maybe someday down the line when she gets her own SO, we'd need more space, but that is almost "cross that bridge when we get there"

The fact that DD is entering high school also means I am sure our vacation patterns will change, so when I was on the DVC website playing with the calculator I used "flexible".

Another note - my parents live in Orlando (bought last year) during the winter, so I anticipate being down in FL more frequently by default over time, so I am also trying to sort out how to use DVC to find rooms at times likely without the 11 months of notice. I realize this might make it very hard to get my home resort all the time.

I do like the BLT, but I thought with the lounge etc, that it might be truly hard to book there, even with 11 month window?

Obviously the appeal of PVB resale is cost savings. And we're not in the world's largest rush if it takes time. Ideally I'd buy after the New Year when things like bonuses come through. We have a soccer college showcase in NC in early Dec, so I think that would be the next time we'd be near WDW. Considering that would be an add-on quick trip, we'd be okay at POR, or even just staying with my parents

As an aside, we went to Disneyland Paris as part of an extended trip for the Women's World Cup... while we enjoyed France and all our travels, both the spouse and I came home somewhat ashamed that DLP was our favorite part of the trip (short of the soccer ) and each of us sent the other DVC listings without realizing the other was doing it!
MouseMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #28
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Hi all,

Quick question. The last time I looked at resale years ago, there were not the restrictions I saw in the membership that I see today.

For getting the full benefits offered - like dining or any discounts like resident annual passes - if we bought through DVC direct for a smaller contract, but added points at the actual resort we want (Poly) resale, we'd still be able to get those discounts and access lounges etc, yes?

Thank you so much!
Purchase resale the resort you want of its poly, pur base direct at the cheapest resort for the member perks. You need 75 points total direct that can be broken up any way you want and across resorts if you want. Riviera direct is not a bad deal imo. Is ould either purchase direct at okw, ssr or riviera.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #29
ajc
Grand Villa

When I bought direct at AKL I got a full year of points as a bonus so I was happy. Hopefully they are still incentivizing the direct purchase with extra points.
100 points is the direct start up purchase but since you want Poly and the studios are at points premium that may determine how long you get to stay (such as 3 days vs 5 days/yr) so extra points that may not be a bad thing.
Also buying at 2 separate resorts is a bad idea if you want to combine the points for one stay since 7 months is difficult at this time.
The best reason for separate resorts is a split stay or an alternate year stay.
If the extra 25 points is cost prohibitive you can put the biggest chunk of $ as a downpayment and finance the smaller balance.
I know OP say: DO NOT FINANCE but I say buy and pay it off quickly.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #30
pdude81
Grand Villa

Multiple resorts will get you multiple home resort windows if that is appealing to a buyer. If the same use year then all points are equal at 7 months and can be combined regardless of resort. I have 3 resorts and 2 uy and don't find myself having much trouble managing, but each of my contracts are big enough to handle a studio stay each year if need be. If 100 points or more I prefer having the variety of resort windows as we love split stays. Ymmv
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote