home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 09:05 AM   #6671
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I don't get why people want to be at bars right now. I really don't. We only ate inside once recently and it was a huge very high ceiling food court with maybe 20 other people in it. Really not into being crowded by people.
Some people will do just about anything right now for even a tiny semblance of “normal.” I get it. Every patient I’ve taken care of lately has admitted to suicidal thoughts. Humans are not naturally able to tolerate this sort of isolation, and younger singles are having a worse time than some other groups. And with no end in sight, bad decisions are going to be more prevalent.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #6672
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Some people will do just about anything right now for even a tiny semblance of “normal.” I get it. Every patient I’ve taken care of lately has admitted to suicidal thoughts. Humans are not naturally able to tolerate this sort of isolation, and younger singles are having a worse time than some other groups. And with no end in sight, bad decisions are going to be more prevalent.
I admit I am not a bar person so maybe I don't get that part. I am sadly not surprised at the mental health of this country as a whole. This is depressing or anxious (or both or more) to most people. I get wanting normal though. Like I love my kid but he needs to leave more lol. Seriously I get it though. Even my widowed dad who is introverted is lonely.

Right now I really feel for a friend who is single and just had surgery. Usually lives with a parent (takes care of the elderly parent) but right now they are in the hospital with their own health issue. My friend is so alone and in pain and... well it sucks.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #6673
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I admit I am not a bar person so maybe I don't get that part. I am sadly not surprised at the mental health of this country as a whole. This is depressing or anxious (or both or more) to most people. I get wanting normal though. Like I love my kid but he needs to leave more lol. Seriously I get it though. Even my widowed dad who is introverted is lonely.

Right now I really feel for a friend who is single and just had surgery. Usually lives with a parent (takes care of the elderly parent) but right now they are in the hospital with their own health issue. My friend is so alone and in pain and... well it sucks.
for your friend.

We became bar people when we started vacationing in WDW as a couple. We found that choosing to sit at the bar meant we could do 'walk up' seating which eliminated a need for ADR at most restaurants. The bar and lounges of WDW introduced us to a whole new way of casual vacationing. It's not something we do at home though - we usually eat out only on vacations.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #6674
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Yeah, not a bar person either. But not everyone understands our fascination with Disney.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:41 AM   #6675
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
for your friend.

We became bar people when we started vacationing in WDW as a couple. We found that choosing to sit at the bar meant we could do 'walk up' seating which eliminated a need for ADR at most restaurants. The bar and lounges of WDW introduced us to a whole new way of casual vacationing. It's not something we do at home though - we usually eat out only on vacations.
We'll stop in again today to see them to help out. We go at least every other day to do cat chores. We hope both will be home together soon. A few of us are on call to do a hospital pick up. Since none of us are family we cannot do hospital visits either.

Yes, at Disney bar walk ups are good! At home we'd rather do take out. Sitting at a bar with a 12yo doesn't feel right to me.

Quote:
Yeah, not a bar person either. But not everyone understands our fascination with Disney.

True. For me I don't drink for health reasons and being short I often look stupid climbing stools. Then I cannot blame being tipsy for being clumsy
Old 06-30-2020, 10:19 AM   #6676
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
We'll stop in again today to see them to help out. We go at least every other day to do cat chores. We hope both will be home together soon. A few of us are on call to do a hospital pick up. Since none of us are family we cannot do hospital visits either.

Yes, at Disney bar walk ups are good! At home we'd rather do take out. Sitting at a bar with a 12yo doesn't feel right to me.

True. For me I don't drink for health reasons and being short I often look stupid climbing stools. Then I cannot blame being tipsy for being clumsy
My mother’s only sister was married to an abusive alcoholic. I watched them fight and scream and separate routinely until she passed away. It made a big impression on me and left no tolerance in my world for alcohol. I was probably 30 before I realized that there was a safe area between abstinence and alcoholism. DH has vivid memories ( young child) of going to pick his dad up from the drunk tank. FIL finally quit drinking when his health would no longer allow. By that time, hubs had some pretty set ideas about alcohol as well. We might occasionally see something at Disney that looks pretty/interesting and try it. But that’s about our limit. We’re just boring.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #6677
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
My mother’s only sister was married to an abusive alcoholic. I watched them fight and scream and separate routinely until she passed away. It made a big impression on me and left no tolerance in my world for alcohol. I was probably 30 before I realized that there was a safe area between abstinence and alcoholism. DH has vivid memories ( young child) of going to pick his dad up from the drunk tank. FIL finally quit drinking when his health would no longer allow. By that time, hubs had some pretty set ideas about alcohol as well. We might occasionally see something at Disney that looks pretty/interesting and try it. But that’s about our limit. We’re just boring.
Awww hugs. I can imagine! A dear friend's dad was an alcoholic and I know it has lasting effects on things. Destroyed their family really in many ways. Died young too due to health issues related to alcoholism too. I was only a friend... I cannot imagine living it.

Mine is more pathetic. Decided I liked ice cream more than alcohol when it came to losing a bunch of weight in my 20s (stupidly packed on in college). Ice cream won and alcohol was left out. Once in a blue moon brought in. Then dealing with infertility I dropped even occasionally. Now I'm a lightweight and still prefer ice cream to alcohol. Being in that 40s stage with *ahem* woman changes, I'm still being super careful. Though this pandemic was kicking me for a while. I'm back and still love my ice cream lol

Though I have no frozen yogurt right now. A Costco run Sunday had the freezer not loaded and not shut right so we need to go shopping again ugh as the temp was near 30 and everything was starting to melt. Freezer seems fine now, so i think we just didn't seal it. Good thing garbage day is tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #6678
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Awww hugs. I can imagine! A dear friend's dad was an alcoholic and I know it has lasting effects on things. Destroyed their family really in many ways. Died young too due to health issues related to alcoholism too. I was only a friend... I cannot imagine living it.

Mine is more pathetic. Decided I liked ice cream more than alcohol when it came to losing a bunch of weight in my 20s (stupidly packed on in college). Ice cream won and alcohol was left out. Once in a blue moon brought in. Then dealing with infertility I dropped even occasionally. Now I'm a lightweight and still prefer ice cream to alcohol. Being in that 40s stage with *ahem* woman changes, I'm still being super careful. Though this pandemic was kicking me for a while. I'm back and still love my ice cream lol

Though I have no frozen yogurt right now. A Costco run Sunday had the freezer not loaded and not shut right so we need to go shopping again ugh as the temp was near 30 and everything was starting to melt. Freezer seems fine now, so i think we just didn't seal it. Good thing garbage day is tomorrow.
I have no issues with ice cream! (As my thighs will attest...)
Old 06-30-2020, 11:04 AM   #6679
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I have no issues with ice cream! (As my thighs will attest...)
Sadly neither do I. So I switched to frozen yogurt at home for now.

Does not help that we have a Graeter's a block from my house too. (That's a brand of reeeeeally good ice cream for those who don't know - why we thumb our noses at B&C really )
Old 06-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #6680
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I will bet you that is not a verified statistic and a false statement, just like the 6'-0" distance rule.
The 6' distance rule is based on the physics of the spread of particles of different size. Hardly "not verified." Some projectile emissions (coughs/sneezes) can go up to 27' based on trajectory.

I've not seen the data to support the specific indoor vs. outdoor number, hut the idea that it is much higher indoors should be apparent for a number of clear reasons. So the actual number is pretty much irrelevant.

Cheers.