home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Bibbity Bobbity Buying
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #151
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post
Hey everybody - I'm checking in with an update. In our new covid world, we have re-evaluated and decided not to try to rent our new place, at least for the rest of 2020.

Instead, we (finally) were able to work with the tenants in our Arkansas rental. After giving them several months of notice, we got the house back ~10 days ago. We decided to list that one as a cosmetic fixer upper & market it as a great deal. Here's the listing for the house in Arkansas. We had 2 offers in the first 24 hours. We wound up going under contract on Sunday. Fingers crossed it closes as scheduled on June 19.

Selling the Arkansas rental house frees up the monthly budget so we can cover the Florida place without renting it. Plus, if all goes well & we close as planned at the agreed sales price, it gives us additional funds to actually update the townhouse the way we want, rather than slapping some paint on it & calling it good for renters.

Craig and Samantha plan to head to Orlando the last week of June to work on the Florida place, pending the closing on the Arkansas house. Samantha is super excited. She would happily ditch Oklahoma for Florida right now.

I understand that. I would too, if not for the whole "JOB" thing.

So, it feels good to start planning for our life in Florida. It may be another 15 years before we move there full time. That's okay. I'm a planner & having our retirement home already is great. Plus, given that I've moved like a dozen times for my career, it feels awesome to have a stable home that won't change, even if we move again for work. Actually, that's highly likely as I anticipate at least two more relocations before I retire.

After checking with an attorney, we could claim Florida residency as soon as this year. I'm holding off on making that call until I talk to our financial advisor and tax lady to make sure it makes sense now rather than later.

The current pandemic makes clear why so many people advised us to go ahead with this if we could afford it without rental income. We rolled the dice a bit on that part, but I think it is going to work out just fine.

And of course, now I'm thinking about how this whole experience might make another book. Maybe.......what do you think? "Buying Disney" anyone???

Congratulations again on selling your other home and so quick too. I am always amazed at how much house one can get out of NY with so much less $$.

I have enjoyed following your journey. Thank you.

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:54 AM   #152
Tessa
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
Congratulations again on selling your other home and so quick too. I am always amazed at how much house one can get out of NY with so much less $$.
We were amazed as well- we moved to North Carolina into a gorgeous home. After 10 years, I moved back to NY. Now I think of my time in North Carolina as a lovely, extended vacation.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #153
coastak
Grand Villa

I have been in and out of the loop the last few years but I thought you lived in Savannah? Oklahoma and Arkansas mentioned? Either way I am glad you got something in Florida, it would be nice about now to have somewhere to escape and forget about worries of day to day life even if parks and pools arent open
coastak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #154
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Congratulations! So happy for you.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:18 PM   #155
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

It has been fun, and re-educational rereading this thread.

Glad it all worked out for you. The price difference for what you can buy at Disney area vs. Clearwater/St. Pete Beach area is truly eye opening...

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #156
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks!

Brian, I remember you were considering a place in FL as well for the future. Next time our trips overlap, let me know if you’d like a tour.
So, does this mean Samantha gets a dragon(?) bedroom? Wasn’t it dragons instead of princesses? My brain may be a little foggy. Pretty sure not princesses, though... Guess Brian could have the princess bedroom...
Old 05-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #157
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
So, does this mean Samantha gets a dragon(?) bedroom? Wasn’t it dragons instead of princesses? My brain may be a little foggy. Pretty sure not princesses, though... Guess Brian could have the princess bedroom...

Whoohoo!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #158
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Quote:
Hey everybody - I'm checking in with an update. In our new covid world, we have re-evaluated and decided not to try to rent our new place, at least for the rest of 2020.

Instead, we (finally) were able to work with the tenants in our Arkansas rental. After giving them several months of notice, we got the house back ~10 days ago. We decided to list that one as a cosmetic fixer upper & market it as a great deal. Here's the listing for the house in Arkansas. We had 2 offers in the first 24 hours. We wound up going under contract on Sunday. Fingers crossed it closes as scheduled on June 19.

Selling the Arkansas rental house frees up the monthly budget so we can cover the Florida place without renting it. Plus, if all goes well & we close as planned at the agreed sales price, it gives us additional funds to actually update the townhouse the way we want, rather than slapping some paint on it & calling it good for renters.

Craig and Samantha plan to head to Orlando the last week of June to work on the Florida place, pending the closing on the Arkansas house. Samantha is super excited. She would happily ditch Oklahoma for Florida right now.

I understand that. I would too, if not for the whole "JOB" thing.

So, it feels good to start planning for our life in Florida. It may be another 15 years before we move there full time. That's okay. I'm a planner & having our retirement home already is great. Plus, given that I've moved like a dozen times for my career, it feels awesome to have a stable home that won't change, even if we move again for work. Actually, that's highly likely as I anticipate at least two more relocations before I retire.

After checking with an attorney, we could claim Florida residency as soon as this year. I'm holding off on making that call until I talk to our financial advisor and tax lady to make sure it makes sense now rather than later.

The current pandemic makes clear why so many people advised us to go ahead with this if we could afford it without rental income. We rolled the dice a bit on that part, but I think it is going to work out just fine.

And of course, now I'm thinking about how this whole experience might make another book. Maybe.......what do you think? "Buying Disney" anyone???
I'm glad things are working out, and you're able to move forward! Good luck with the closing in Arkansas, and hope that goes smoothly. So glad you'll be ok for awhile without needing the FL rental active. I'd def like to read more, do a blog (and a book!) we keep saying we plan to move to FL when the youngest graduates....5 more years......
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:35 AM   #159
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
We were amazed as well- we moved to North Carolina into a gorgeous home. After 10 years, I moved back to NY. Now I think of my time in North Carolina as a lovely, extended vacation.

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:35 PM   #160
jrm1504
Two Bedroom

Quote:
WDO - wood destroying organisms (termite) inspection is complete. No issues.

No rental history will come with the unit. Current owners have lived there since buying it & occasionally rented the downstairs bedroom/bath through ABB. It's like a lock-off, as that bedroom has a separate outside door. I will ask property management company about renting it as 3-1 v 4 bedroom, as there does not seem to be that much difference in nightly rates between 3 v 4 bedrooms at Regal Palms.
So I take it regal Palms will let you just live there all year...Bahama bay I think you said was not ore than 180 days or something. So in your search, did most let you live there all year? Like say, a whole school year...................
2007 DW All Star Sports
2011 DW Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 DW Dolphin
2013 DW BCV (our wedding)
2015 DW BLT (son's 1st b'day)
2015 VWL
2016 DL Grand Cal
2018 BLT and BWV

jrm1504 is offline   Reply With Quote