home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #11
ziravan
Two Bedroom

I donít know where the lack of love comes from.

I saw it last night and I really really liked it. It tells a consistent story with only one major plot device fail in my book. Thatís miles better than 7 and 8, which I think are inconsistent messes.

Iíd rank it with Rogue One and thatís not a put down. Iíve rewatched Rogue One a dozen times. I think Disney has done a much better job lately with stand alone vs. cannon Star Wars. (Apparently though, or so I was told discussing the movie afterwards, Disneyís cartoon Star Wars is MORE cannon than the earlier movies. Go figure.)

Donít buy the negative hype. Itís Star Wars and itís a really good story.

Even the critique that the kid playing Han isnít like Harrison Fordís character is overhyped. Heís a younger Han without the life experiences that made Fordís Han. I see this portrayal with a more guffish ďaw shucksĒ portrayal as consistent with removing decades of jadedness from the character. Honestly, the criticism that they should have found a Han just like Harrison Ford is far too much of a burden to put on a young actor. He did just fine.

8/10 and I do believe that over time, that might go up.
ziravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #12
DeniseKayC
Grand Villa

We saw it yesterday and I thought it was a good movie. Iím not a huge Star Wars fan, but I was interested in a story about a young Han and how he met up with Chewie and this did not disappoint. I agree with the other poster that it had some of the same feel as a Rogue One, and thatís a compliment, not a criticism.
DeniseKayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #13
Kerri jo
Grand Villa

I thought it was meh, and I went in with low expectations. As a movie, it wasn't bad, but it definitely felt like a money grab to get as much out of the Star Wars franchise and fandom as possible. If it were an action film with no connection to Star Wars, it wouldn't have nearly the same hype or box office draw.

For perspective, I had the same low expectations of Rogue One, and loved that movie. It left no loose ends or weird wonders that would never be connected, which I think is important when weaving existing stories together.

On the other hand, my DD loved Solo because it offered the back story for several characters and made many connections that were not necessary but fun nuggets of lore.

We (DH, DD, DS and I) all agreed that the movie was long and would have liked an alternate ending (we discussed what that would be and all agreed on that as well).

As is with everything else, personal preferences are just that - personal. If you go to be entertained, you likely will be
2020 ~ AUL, BCV, BWV; 2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #14
jrm1504
Two Bedroom

It was good...I didnt think it was as good as Rogue One. One thing here....the theatre was EMPTY.
2007 DW All Star Sports
2011 DW Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 DW Dolphin
2013 DW BCV (our wedding)
2015 DW BLT (son's 1st b'day)
2015 VWL
2016 DL Grand Cal
2018 BLT and BWV

jrm1504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:15 PM   #15
Disneycat
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We went to the preview Thursday night and I really enjoyed it. I try not to see sneak peaks or read anything before a movie comes out as much as possible. With that said I had to remind myself a few times this is a young Han, I was not sold on the performance. Now Lando was perfect. Still thought movie was great. Loved the back story.
Disneycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #16
bobbafett
Grand Villa

I'm boycotting this and next star wars.
Need to get Kathleen Kennedy out. No more ajendas. Just make a good star wars movie please.
If you don't know what I'm referring to please look into it. I'm not getting into it here. But I'm sorry. The "force is not female".
And to actually state you are going to make movies that are not geared to the target audience....for an agenda. Really....
My god, flying popsicle princess....wtf.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17, AKL 18, 18. VGF 18, VAK 18. ASM 19

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #17
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Equal with Rogue One. Ron Howard is an excellent director and the movie does, in my opinion, a great job with a slightly lighter more heroic version of Hans.

If you are a Star Wars snob, there will be elements you won't like. The main complaint seems Han's is a bit to heroic, instead of roguish.

Honestly, it is a millions times better than the regular installments of VII and VIII. It does a fair job of giving both Hans and Chewy a nice backstory that fits well into the overall arch.
----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by ealvarado8899; 05-27-2018 at 03:40 PM.
ealvarado8899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #18
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziravan View Post
I don’t know where the lack of love comes from.

I saw it last night and I really really liked it. It tells a consistent story with only one major plot device fail in my book. That’s miles better than 7 and 8, which I think are inconsistent messes.

I’d rank it with Rogue One and that’s not a put down. I’ve rewatched Rogue One a dozen times. I think Disney has done a much better job lately with stand alone vs. cannon Star Wars. (Apparently though, or so I was told discussing the movie afterwards, Disney’s cartoon Star Wars is MORE cannon than the earlier movies. Go figure.)

Don’t buy the negative hype. It’s Star Wars and it’s a really good story.

Even the critique that the kid playing Han isn’t like Harrison Ford’s character is overhyped. He’s a younger Han without the life experiences that made Ford’s Han. I see this portrayal with a more guffish “aw shucks” portrayal as consistent with removing decades of jadedness from the character. Honestly, the criticism that they should have found a Han just like Harrison Ford is far too much of a burden to put on a young actor. He did just fine.

8/10 and I do believe that over time, that might go up.
The bigger the star wars fan, the narrower the expectations.

When you spend a great deal of time immersing yourself in a theme, it is very difficult to accept someone else's version. Same reason I can almost never read a book and enjoy the movie. My imagery is always different from the movie. For me, the ultimate disappointment was lord of the rings. Rumor has it that it did well at the box office despite Peter Jackson's butchering of the language of the series (I will give him a giant nod to on the screen imagery however).

I am with you; if you liked Rogue One you should enjoy this one as much. If you did not, then you likely will not. Equally agree with your estimation of Hans. He did a better job than I expected. Whole family loved it. Ages 16-51. I have seen every Star Wars on the big screen when they released. I have never read the books, perhaps why I can enjoy them.

Last edited by ealvarado8899; 05-27-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #19
bobbafett
Grand Villa

I have to kinda disagree with the first line of the above post.

Not just a star wars fan but just a movie fan.
They are making bad movies. Period.
Episode 1,2,3 we're bad movies. Not just a bad star wars pre. Just bad directing. Editing, and definitely casting. exept for Ewan.

Rouge one. Not a good movie. If it wasn't star wars. It would fail. Last Jedi. So bad. Bad script. Bad directing. Bad characters. All these movies are wrought with plot holes and discrepancies
A new hope had kinda one big one.
The hero's get separated on a space station. The size of a moon. But end up together and all get on the falcon together. But basically the movie makes sense. These do not. Unless their point is to show us a constant stream of social commentary of sexuality, race equality, female empowerment, etc. To hell with a story just teach us about animal rights and wookies becoming vegetarians.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17, AKL 18, 18. VGF 18, VAK 18. ASM 19

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #20
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
I have to kinda disagree with the first line of the above post.

Not just a star wars fan but just a movie fan.
They are making bad movies. Period.
Episode 1,2,3 we're bad movies. Not just a bad star wars pre. Just bad directing. Editing, and definitely casting. exept for Ewan.

Rouge one. Not a good movie. If it wasn't star wars. It would fail. Last Jedi. So bad. Bad script. Bad directing. Bad characters. All these movies are wrought with plot holes and discrepancies
A new hope had kinda one big one.
The hero's get separated on a space station. The size of a moon. But end up together and all get on the falcon together. But basically the movie makes sense. These do not. Unless their point is to show us a constant stream of social commentary of sexuality, race equality, female empowerment, etc. To hell with a story just teach us about animal rights and wookies becoming vegetarians.
You are rationalizing your bias. I do not expect to change your mind, as we all know that would be pointless. If we wanted to discuss the merits of individual movies, that would be fine but it seems the emotions run a bit deep for an objective review. Bombers in Space is enough said about VIII (I always say that in my most muppet's voice possible). However, plenty of movies do this nonsense. Hans solo did none of it.

From the character playing Hans (I thought he did great), to the sets, to the story, to the acting, to the action, to the directing; Hans Solo continued to deliver. Best movie ever? No. Original? No. Completely free of faults? No (none of them were). Hans solo, was just a good movie. Remove the bias, and most people with a penchant for Science Fiction would enjoy it.

I will say that my entire family, and most of my friends, enjoyed and respected Hans Solo and Rogue One. On the others, plenty of opportunity to criticize, but when the movie is declared terrible before you even see it. I don't see how you can not see the bias in that. I further suggest that the bias is based on a reasonable love of the originals, and that bias sways everything after.

Last edited by ealvarado8899; 05-27-2018 at 05:24 PM.