home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-13-2021, 09:43 PM   #21
SherriH
Studio

Glad you brought up the 4G vs 5G on the Air. I didn't think about that. I can wait and see if they announce 5G. Maybe that will push me to the mini. I really love the size (though I know many people don't). It's easy to hold in one hand if reading, fits in my bag easily, etc.

Whatever I buy will be wi-fi + cellular which i have now. I don't mind paying a little extra each month for the convenience of cellular vs using my phone as a hot spot.
SherriH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:52 PM   #22
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I was thinking of your rural setting when I brought up Wifi or Cellular. It can be tricky! Fortunately, you can add a device for just a few device to most cellular plans.

In that case, I would recommend getting a device that is 5G capable. That will be so beneficial down the road and any device without it will be disappointing.

The current iPad Air doesn't have 5G, but Apple is announcing new upgrades to some devices on the 18th so the Air may be in that cycle. It's the only iPad to not get an update this fall.

My bet is the Air gets 5G, but Apple may hold off another year to keep the Pro "special" as the only model with 5G.

Now, if you don't have 5G in your area, that may be pointless, but again, you will have it eventually and that will be the norm. It sounds like you aren't a big replacer so it could make sense to buy the most forward looking model you can to avoid wanting to upgrade earlier down the road than you want.

Any iPad is going to have around 5 year life expectancy in terms of tech gains. New tech always requires new hardware advances (like chips) that older models just don't have.

Dirk
Yes, we do have 5G, though service is sometimes spotty. When it works, everything is lovely. My current dinosaur is a +cellular device, so I would just be replacing an existing device. No extra outlay there. And I’m definitely not a big replacer. I’m more of a “use it til it blows up, or just lies down and dies” person. I like to feel that I’ve gotten my money’s worth from a product…
Old 10-13-2021, 11:54 PM   #23
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherriH View Post
Glad you brought up the 4G vs 5G on the Air. I didn't think about that. I can wait and see if they announce 5G. Maybe that will push me to the mini. I really love the size (though I know many people don't). It's easy to hold in one hand if reading, fits in my bag easily, etc.

Whatever I buy will be wi-fi + cellular which i have now. I don't mind paying a little extra each month for the convenience of cellular vs using my phone as a hot spot.
Just do what I do and carry a bigger purse!
Old 10-14-2021, 02:49 PM   #24
SherriH
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Just do what I do and carry a bigger purse!
That's a great idea. Plus I get an iPad and a new purse out of the deal. I just don't want to have to start getting in to "tote bag" category.
SherriH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #25
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Before the pandemic I had zero use for a camera on my iPad. Since then, I've used it for Zoom. I like the flexibility for streaming that it gives me - not chained to a desk and don't have to dig out the laptop.

I still wouldn't use it for photography but it's getting better. It will never be as good as the iPhone camera, though.

I have to say, though, the camera on my iPad saved my "rump-uh-rumpus-room" the other night when Facebook's iPhone App wigged out and I couldn't go live for night prayer on our churches FB page! I quickly switched to the iPad and used the web version of FB. Fortunately, that problem seems to have corrected itself!

Yeah, I"m a heavy iPad user!

Dirk
Zoom isn’t something I had considered. I know of a few others who do the same.

Thanks!

……now if I can only find my chopsticks, it’s snack time….
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:18 PM   #26
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
That's a great idea. Plus I get an iPad and a new purse out of the deal. I just don't want to have to start getting in to "tote bag" category.
D&B make soooooo many cute totes! And they really aren’t that big… For park days, I prefer my Vera Bradley campus backpack. Well padded, comfy straps, and plenty of pockets. Plus the port at the top to connect your battery pack to your phone/tablet so that the backpack remains safely zipped. Well thought out design.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:00 PM   #27
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzrooster View Post

Thanks!

……now if I can only find my chopsticks, it’s snack time….

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:03 PM   #28
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:

The brand new mini gets great reviews. I think it’s perfect for that portability niche for people who don’t need a full size screen. Unfortunately, if you want 5G right now, the Pros are the only option.

I haven’t had +cellular for several upgrades because I didn’t want to pay extra, but I forgot how affordable adding another device is now. I may go back to it next upgrade (in a couple of years). I do tether of my phone when needed, but that creates other issues.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:05 PM   #29
JimP
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
I have always actually done the opposite. If I need a remote signal, I use my cell as a hotspot for the iPad. I surf, do emails, and stream video this way. No need, in my case, to carry two service costs.
You do save the service cost, but the savings does not come without an inconvenience... especially when on the move. You now have two devices using up battery power, there is the setup... although that can be largely overcome on a routine basis.

With WiFi + cellular, there is a simple elegance to having the device always connected, irrespective if you are at home, being a passenger driving down the highway, or waiting in doctors office. You just take the device and start using it... no setup necessary.

Personally, I would not recommend buying an iPad without cellular unless you never leave your house. Otherwise, I think it is worth the $10-$15 to add it to your plan.

/Jim

Look Dad, they're building a new one!!!
Quote (in jest) by: DS, DD#1, DD#2, Circa 2003

Annual pass holders since 1989
Click here to visit my family website

Last edited by JimP; 12-28-2021 at 07:40 PM.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:10 PM   #30
JimP
Grand Villa

Quote:
Before the pandemic I had zero use for a camera on my iPad. Since then, I've used it for Zoom. I like the flexibility for streaming that it gives me - not chained to a desk and don't have to dig out the laptop.

I still wouldn't use it for photography but it's getting better. It will never be as good as the iPhone camera, though.

I have to say, though, the camera on my iPad saved my "rump-uh-rumpus-room" the other night when Facebook's iPhone App wigged out and I couldn't go live for night prayer on our churches FB page! I quickly switched to the iPad and used the web version of FB. Fortunately, that problem seems to have corrected itself!

Yeah, I"m a heavy iPad user!

Dirk
Dirk, I spend most of my work day on Zoom/Teams/Webex/Google Meet/ etc. Unless, I know i am going to remain sitting in my home office, I use my iPad Pro for conferencing. I tend to like the mobility that the iPad offers.

/Jim

Look Dad, they're building a new one!!!
Quote (in jest) by: DS, DD#1, DD#2, Circa 2003

Annual pass holders since 1989
Click here to visit my family website
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote