home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-22-2022, 05:31 PM   #11
DMKEDM
Two Bedroom

Hi, folks...it's now Wednesday evening...and yes indeed this trip is going by fast! It was a work day (paid work that is) for both DSIL and me this morning, but we were both done by 1...and a good thing that was because we had Space 220 reservations at 2...

We all started early at HS because that was our park reservation...and we had to tap into there in order to get into Epcot on our park hopper passes later in the day...My first work meeting was at 10, so I just walked over, tapped in, and walked back out again...DSIL's meeting was at 9, so he and his family went over when that meeting ended, around 10:30, and they did some Star Wars Land stuff before heading to Epcot --they got to Epcot at 1:30, but the Epcot folks at the park entrance (International Gateway) would not allow my DD to enter Epcot that much before the 2 p.m. hopper time (I'd told her she MIGHT get in 5 minutes early, but like all kids, regardless of their ages (past 2 anyway), she didn't believe me...she tried to tell the CM at the entrance that she had a Space 220 reservation at 2 and was told the Space 220 people would hold our spot for 20 minutes and we had plenty of time and we could not enter before 2)--I had a hard time refraining from saying "I told you so" but I did...and when I met them at 1:50 we talked for a minute and then decided to try to get in just a couple of minutes early, and that worked fine...per my watch it was 1:55 when we tapped in and they did let us in then...and Space 220 did indeed hold our reservation...

First: Space 220 is very cool...we all enjoyed the experience (you take a "stellevator" to the restaurant, which is on another planet (rocket launch, but it feels just like an elevator, w/pix of the sky above and pix of the Earth (FL) below)...no thrill ride speed or twists or dips at all...)--the restaurant is very cool, too...very sleek, w/"porthole views" of outer space (including astronauts ambling by, the Space Station, and a "rim view" of the Earth below)...

The food is good, but not great (2 of us--the kids (16 and 18) raved about their spaghetti; my DD really liked her burger & Burratta/artichoke salad; my DSIL and I (he had the steak and calamari; I had the Burratta and chicken breast) found our food good, but saltier than we would have liked...

I had originally thought this would be a "one and done" for the experience, due to the price (for lunch, it was prix fixe at $55/each...w/drinks and dessert extra)--now that we've done it, it probably will be a one-and-done, but not due to the price...Disney's food prices have gone up exponentially and it's REALLY noticeable for a party of 5 (not quite as noticeable when it's just one or two people eating) so the almost $300 tab (counting drinks and tip, but we did not have dessert) wasn't all that much more than our five-person dinners at Raglan Road and at Chefs de France...anyway, it was "worth it"...the experience was cool and the CMs were fantastic...all of them (check-in person, "stellevator" operator, upstairs check-in person, and waitress)...

It's hot today (and going to be even hotter and more humid tomorrow), so we we wandered slowly and just a bit around Future World...DGD wanted to check out Club Cool (she found "Beverly" coke as disgusting as its reputation; she also disliked the China variation, but pronounced the other flavors "very good"), and we browsed (but didn't buy anything) at Creations...then we all headed back to our rooms (I'm at BCV; they're at BWV) and we'll meet up again in an hour or so at one of our pools (we're on each other's reservations so we can use each other's pools)...probably Stormalong Bay...DGS wants to try the Pirate Ship water slide...we'll figure out dinner later...right now we're all full and in need of some "cooling time" before venturing out again...

Tomorrow is our last day (Animal Kingdom)...I still have Friday, but they go home on Friday...it's been a grand trip (despite some predictable teenager "angst" (particularly w/respect to each other)...I'll be sad to see it end...
DMKEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:01 PM   #12
DMKEDM
Two Bedroom

Quick addendum: forgot to tell you-all that we actually got a boarding pass (virtual queue) for Guardians of the Galaxy when we got into Epcot at 1:58 this afternoon. ... got group 189, which got called at 8:30 p.m. So, we are now 3 for 3...got the virtual queue pass Monday morning at 7 (group 66; got called to ride around 12:30 or so) got a pass at the 6 p.m. extra hours window last night (don't remember the group number, but we got on the ride around 8), and got the 1 pm window (at just before 2) today...my DD and DGS absolutely adore the ride...they say it's their favorite ride times 10...I like it, a lot, but still like Flight of Passage and Soarin (and Forbidden Journey at Harry Potter Land) better...my DSIL and DGD refused to even try it, and DD said it was true that they'd hate it (each for different reasons)...

We got off Guardians tonight just as Harmonious was starting, so wound up seeing it, too (how wonderfully convenient it is to be able to just stroll across the park to the International Gateway and "home")...I must admit, I'm not a fan of Harmonious. I didn't hate it; in fact I sort of like it...but I loved Illuminations so for me Harmonious is not a "win." But I'm not a fireworks person (and rarely do I have the energy to be out at 9 at night!)...so no big deal for me. DD thought it was "pretty"; DGS thought it was too loud. On the other hand, my DS (who has a degree in computerized theatre lighting/design) will be fascinated by it when he gets to see it...

Crowds are definitely bigger than they were earlier in the week. So, I'm really really surprised at how easy it is to get the virtual queue boarding pass...and Guardians IS a very good ride...

Now, to sleep before our 7:30 (planned) arrival at AK tomorrow morning...g'night, all...
Old 06-23-2022, 09:05 AM   #13
Raspus
Grand Villa

Sounds like you’re having a great trip. Enjoy the AK.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:16 AM   #14
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMKEDM View Post

We got off Guardians tonight just as Harmonious was starting, so wound up seeing it, too (how wonderfully convenient it is to be able to just stroll across the park to the International Gateway and "home")...I must admit, I'm not a fan of Harmonious. I didn't hate it; in fact I sort of like it...but I loved Illuminations so for me Harmonious is not a "win."
Agree totally. In particular Illuminations soundtrack was(is) much, much better than Harmonious. And of course Earth globe was far better than whatever you want to call that thing in Harmonious.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:54 PM   #15
DMKEDM
Two Bedroom

Today was both really really good and at the same time not so good...

DD and the family couldn't get out of bed for early opening at AK--I had gotten up and was all ready to go by the time she texted me to say they were going to be later than planned, so I went on ahead to AK on my own...arrived just as they began letting people into the park (7:25 or so)...

Did FOP first--30-minute wait on the app; 45-minute posted on the sign at the entrance (which we didn't get to until a good 10 minutes after I got to the end of the line--back to just over the bridge to Africa)...105 minutes by the time I got off the ride...my wait really was just about 30 minutes (maybe a minute or two less)--

After that I headed to Safari where I found a 50-minute wait--didn't want to do Safari bad enough to wait 50 minutes, so kept going...passed the lake in front of Expedition Everest just as they were starting Kite Tales (which I'd never seen)...it was cute; not great, but cute and a nice 15-minute interlude...from there I headed to Dinosaur where I found a 10-minute wait and enjoyed the ride...

By that time, the early morning "cool" (mid 70s) was giving way to a beast of a hot, humid day (it was 99 and humid an hour ago)...DD and the family texted to say they were just arriving at AK, and I was more than ready to leave (it was a very good 2 1/2 hours, tho)...

Anyway, I met the family at the bus stop, where DD said she had a bad sore throat, so she asked to return to BWV/BCV w/me, if I'd wait til she tapped in (so she could go wherever she wanted on park hopper as of 2)...of course I agreed.

I had worn my bathing suit under my tshirt and shorts, so I was fine w/going to BWV with DD to do some pool time...DD had taken some Motrin and was feeling better, so we did an hour in the community pool at BWV and then decided we were hungry...and by then DSIL and the kids were returning from AK (it was brutally hot by this time so they gave up on the park after riding Dinosaur and finding waits too long for their energy level everywhere else), so we agreed to meet for lunch at Big River Grill (it was good)...DD and DGS then headed to Epcot to see if they could get another boarding group for Guardians (they couldn't; the virtual queue was closed by the time they tapped into Epcot a couple of minutes before 2)...I came back to BCV; cleared some work email and then decided to spend a bit of time at Stormalong Bay...

Did you-all know they've now got the sandy bottom in the whole pool, not just the end where the very littles do their thing? I hadn't known that. I don't much like the sandy bottom, but did enjoy a turn or two around the lazy river...

Came back to my room to discover DD is feeling bad again...will check in on her again in an hour....DSIL "dosed her" w/Motrin and took the kids to Disney Springs...DD wants to go back to Epcot tonight (there's a "spicy hotdog" that has pineapple chutney on it that she absolutely loved and she wants another one of those)...hopefully she'll feel well enough to do that and I'll go w/her if she does.

And so it was a good day for me, except for DD feeling a bit under the weather...the family goes home tomorrow and I'll miss them (they live in CT and I live in VA), but will see them again soon, I know...and DD and I have a mother-daughter trip scheduled for September and we have that to look forward to...

Have no idea what I'll do tomorrow, on my own, after I bid the family good bye around 9 tomorrow morning...my park reservation is MK, so it's likely I'll start there...

Happy Thursday evening to all...
Old 06-23-2022, 06:49 PM   #16
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

FWIW I remember a sandy bottom in one part of the main pool for several years. But I thought that was discontinued. Maybe they're doing it again?
Old 06-23-2022, 06:57 PM   #17
MinnieSueB
Two Bedroom

Glad you had a nice trip - mixing in the good & the bad.
MinnieSueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:14 PM   #18
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Hope your DD is feeling better soon. On our trip, we had a member with double ear infections just before they left. Allergies are awful and made it worse. Sudafeded him up and he was better. Still no fun. Did some covid tests to be safe too.

I admit I am not a fan of Harmonious. My kid and I watched a little in March, he got bored so we left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
FWIW I remember a sandy bottom in one part of the main pool for several years. But I thought that was discontinued. Maybe they're doing it again?
Our last stay at BCV was in 2017 I think... it was sandy then. That's all I can add.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:00 PM   #19
cali09
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMKEDM View Post
I must admit, I'm not a fan of Harmonious. I didn't hate it; in fact I sort of like it...but I loved Illuminations so for me Harmonious is not a "win."
I loved, loved, loved IllumiNations too. Not only is Harmonious not a win for me, I downright hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Agree totally. In particular Illuminations soundtrack was(is) much, much better than Harmonious. And of course Earth globe was far better than whatever you want to call that thing in Harmonious.
Exactly. I just listened to the IllumiNations soundtrack in the car the other day. And yes, the Earth globe was far better. That "thing" is hideous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I admit I am not a fan of Harmonious. My kid and I watched a little in March, he got bored so we left.
We gave Harmonious a chance and neither of us liked it. We haven't bothered with seeing it since.

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:24 PM   #20
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali09 View Post
I loved, loved, loved IllumiNations too. Not only is Harmonious not a win for me, I downright hate it.

Exactly. I just listened to the IllumiNations soundtrack in the car the other day. And yes, the Earth globe was far better. That "thing" is hideous.

We gave Harmonious a chance and neither of us liked it. We haven't bothered with seeing it since.
I adored Illuminations to the point that I happily paid for Illuminations cruises more than once. I did reluctantly admit it was possibly time for new and was welcoming to change. I enjoyed what I saw of Epcor forever and was hopeful. But OMG no. No no no no no. Those barges during the day too

I saw the Harmonious in part on D+ It was better - most likely because the focus was on the performers and not the fugly stuff on the lagoon.

At this point I'd be happy to take Epcot Forever back and bomb the darn barges.