home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-13-2022, 01:29 PM   #11
PurrfectPrincess
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHalfElf View Post
I will be interested in other MouseOwners' reactions to the new Obi-Wan Kenobi series (hereafter O-WK) on Disney+. Although I have tagged this post with "Spoilers", I have tried to minimize them.

Everyone has their own benchmark standards for made-for-streaming series. In my case, I feel Rosamund Pike set a very high standard in the "Weep for Manetheren" history lesson in Episode 2 of The Wheel of Time. From Disney, DW and I are very fond of The Mandalorian, and we also thought highly of WandaVision. Having watched Alec Guiness as Obi-Wan Kenobi decades ago, I was looking forward to O-WK with a mixture of enthusiasm and trepidation. The remarks below follow the first three episodes of O-WK.

On the positive side, the character Obi-Wan has some good moments in O-WK when he is acting as a natural teacher. For example, at one point he implicitly reflects upon and repents of his past criticism of Padme (... she's a politician. They're not to be trusted...") and re-characterizes her in a way that is touching. He also describes the use of the Force in a memorable way.

On the minus side, and unbelievably parallel to Luke's portrayal in Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, we are given another helping of "Lo how the mighty are fallen", courtesy of current Star Wars management at Disney. Plot-wise, that might work more conveniently for the perpetrators when they can have the Jedi master perish in the same work in which the degradation appears. However, because of his roles in Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Episode IV: A New Hope, Obi-Wan presents management with a two-point boundary value problem. His arc must travel smoothly and plausibly departing from III and arriving at IV.

That will take some fancy writing footwork in follow-ons to three initial plots that appear full of holes. Moreover, the finance folks will have to be persuaded to fund all the needed screen-time. A comparison of Rotten Tomatoes ratings of The Mandalorian (Tomatometer 93% and Audience 91%) versus current, "early days" ratings of O-WK (Tomatometer 87% and Audience 61%) might suggest a reason for financial caution.

Absent both the necessary fancy plot footwork and episode funding, I fear that O-WK will follow Episode VIII: The Last Jedi into Star Wars quasi-canonical never-never land.

Here is just one, specific supporting criticism. In Episode IV, Darth Vader famously remarks to Obi-Wan, "When I left (sic) you, I was but the learner. Now (sic) I am the master." In Episode 3 of O-WK, Star Wars management has apparently -- certainly arguably -- ret-conned the relationship of O-WK and Darth as presented in George Lucas' original film. My goodness.

PurrfectPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:14 PM   #12
hlyntunstl
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
But I am in it for popcorn value.

Iím also enjoying the mandelorian and the Orville. I plan to see paramount Star Trek too but havenít gotten to it yet

I couldnít ever get into Wanda vision. Even though Iíve seen some of the marvel movies it seemed like too many hidden references. Maybe I didnít give it enough of a chance. Didnít get theu the first episode.

But Iím like o-wK so far.

Itís been fun.

Goldi
If you want to give it another try, I had a lot of friends who said the same thingÖĒloathedĒ was used more than once. I told them watch until episode 3 before giving up. All made it through episode 3 and were hooked.
hlyntunstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:24 PM   #13
hlyntunstl
Two Bedroom

Iím enjoying it but my ability to suspend disbelief is waning. If they take me out of the plot too much, thatís where they would lose me. I can live with some of the canon changes since this obviously wasnít planned back then. I get annoyed by random things like why a single shot would crack a window in an underwater fortress. I actually love the acting overall. What will really annoy me is if we donít get an answer to the Reva revenge story.
hlyntunstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:46 AM   #14
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlyntunstl View Post
I’m enjoying it but my ability to suspend disbelief is waning. If they take me out of the plot too much, that’s where they would lose me. I can live with some of the canon changes since this obviously wasn’t planned back then. I get annoyed by random things like why a single shot would crack a window in an underwater fortress. I actually love the acting overall. What will really annoy me is if we don’t get an answer to the Reva revenge story.
Not only the single shot causing the crack but Obi held off the big burst while the 2 ladies ran out....then he let go and ran out safely and they closed the door without any water gushing out. But Star Wars franchise as a whole was always cheesy like that. Like a comic (like Walking Dead and the such).

I too hope they tie up the Reva stuff nicely. But guessing it will be disappointing.

Owners since 2006- BWV, CCV & AKV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote