home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Community Hole
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Today, 08:34 AM   #21
CathyS
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I was going to use the shutdown to take time to hone my bread baking, but the stress and constant re-designing the way things work in my professional life but the kibosh on that.

I subscribe to Milk Street, Chris Kimballís new endeavor after leaving Americaís Test Kitchen, and often find cool new recipes in there. This month, itís Kladkakken, a Swedish sticky chocolate cake. Super easy and quite tasty. Maybe a little too easy . . .

Jim cam home with a little basket of peaches as a thank you gift for taking a funeral. I need to figure out something to do with them before they go bad. They are big, and just about perfectly ripe so wonít be around more than a few days.

Dirk
Iíve been subscribed to the NYTimes food newsletter for s few years now. Itís about the cost of 2 cookbooks per year (to actually see the recipes... the newsletter is free). Itís a great way to get exposed to lots of new and different recipes. But theyíve got a peach ice cream recipe that is quite fantastic. No eggs, so you donít have to stand over the stove stirring your custard. Just donít make the full recipe... it needs to be halved for the home kitchen .

(Oh, you should also add the trick of peeling peaches easily. The recipe didnít say that. You drop the peach in boiling water for 30 seconds and then move it quickly to an ice bath. Works great)

Weíve also made peach jam that turned out excellent. But canning it all is a ton of work. (I think we did that before kids)

Peach pie is tricky because itís usually soupy.

Grilled peaches with a scoop of vanilla ice cream would be delicious. But I donít think Iíve successfully done this before.

Weíve been enjoying the peaches this year. Mostly just eating them. Theyíve been delicious. (And ice cream. A metric ton of ice cream...)
CathyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:08 AM   #22
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I was going to use the shutdown to take time to hone my bread baking, but the stress and constant re-designing the way things work in my professional life but the kibosh on that.

I subscribe to Milk Street, Chris Kimballís new endeavor after leaving Americaís Test Kitchen, and often find cool new recipes in there. This month, itís Kladkakken, a Swedish sticky chocolate cake. Super easy and quite tasty. Maybe a little too easy . . .

Jim cam home with a little basket of peaches as a thank you gift for taking a funeral. I need to figure out something to do with them before they go bad. They are big, and just about perfectly ripe so wonít be around more than a few days.

Dirk
I was not a Kimball fan on ATK so I didn't follow him to Milk Street. Actually I'm not a big fan of ATK as I think they have a tendency to "dumb down" the recipes for the home cook. I do like the equipment reviews on ATK.

A big plus in moving from the west cost to the east coast has been the spring peaches. Although it seems like a crime to not eat them as they are off the tree one of my favorite things to do is to half them, burlee and add some burrata cheese to center.

Bread- Carbs glorious Carbs!
When I retired I started baking all of the bread for both our house and my daughters house. Interesting enough my daughter use to have mild issues with bread which we though might have been some kind of reaction to the gluten. As it turns out she has 0 issues when eating my home baked bread making us wonder if it was something in the chemicals added to commercial breads. Anyway that being said I tend to make bread once or twice a month (we actually don't eat that much bread) and when I do it is usually naturally leavened (Sourdough). Once you understand the process it is pretty easy to do but it is a bit time consuming. As reference sites for different bread that I make I would suggest:

Theperfectloaf.com - for artisan loafs, potato brioche burger / sausage buns and cinnamon rolls. Site has a lot of good general info on sourdough baking. While I have had good success with the SD recipe on this site lately I have been using a recipe out of Josey Bakers book (yes Baker is his real name).

https://blog.crystalcruises.com/sund...za-margherita/ - for pizza dough and focaccia this is from a chef that is part of the Crystal Cruise culinary team that has been doing FB live shows since the cruising has stopped. BTW his other recipes have also been spot on. The Pizza dough IS NOT thin NY style, it is more bready than that.

For a great sandwhich rye bread that is made with pickle juice try - https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...e-bread-recipe
Old Today, 10:29 AM   #23
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Wow - some good ideas. I thought of a cobbler. We'll eat a couple fresh but I worry about getting them all eaten before they go bad, and they GOOD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
I was not a Kimball fan on ATK so I didn't follow him to Milk Street. Actually I'm not a big fan of ATK as I think they have a tendency to "dumb down" the recipes for the home cook. I do like the equipment reviews on ATK.
I think Chris Kimball is a snob, but I do learn from him.

I believe that was one of the reasons he left ATK. He wanted to branch out into more complex flavors and the team wanted to stay "middle America." I feel bad for him, because it was his baby, but he landed on his feet well.

I like their recipes - learned a lot. The joke around here is that an ATK recipe starts with "pull every pot, pan, and mixing bowl out of the cabinet."

However, my taste buds are more into Milk Street now. They both adapt recipes to make them accessible and easy for a standard home kitchen and cook who wants to learn but not have top skills.

The fun of the internet is many recipes to look and compare so you can see what is "dumbed down" and what is more authentic.

I will say, regarding both schnitzel and Swabian potato salad (vinegar and oil instead of mayonnaise), ATK honed my skills enough that my German step-mother was quite annoyed and jealous at some of the simple tweaks (like peeling and slicing potatoes first, and then simmering them with broth and vinegar instead of simmering first and then adding at the end.

Milk Street is heavily influenced by world cuisine, lots of central and South American, Asian, and Middle-East. Yummy.

Quote:
A big plus in moving from the west cost to the east coast has been the spring peaches. Although it seems like a crime to not eat them as they are off the tree one of my favorite things to do is to half them, burlee and add some burrata cheese to center.
Growing up in South Carolina, I was quite annoyed that NJ thought they had great peaches. Then I had some.

Quote:
When I retired I started baking all of the bread for both our house and my daughters house. Interesting enough my daughter use to have mild issues with bread which we though might have been some kind of reaction to the gluten. As it turns out she has 0 issues when eating my home baked bread making us wonder if it was something in the chemicals added to commercial breads. Anyway that being said I tend to make bread once or twice a month (we actually don't eat that much bread) and when I do it is usually naturally leavened (Sourdough). Once you understand the process it is pretty easy to do but it is a bit time consuming. As reference sites for different bread that I make I would suggest:

Theperfectloaf.com - for artisan loafs, potato brioche burger / sausage buns and cinnamon rolls. Site has a lot of good general info on sourdough baking. While I have had good success with the SD recipe on this site lately I have been using a recipe out of Josey Bakers book (yes Baker is his real name).

https://blog.crystalcruises.com/sund...za-margherita/ - for pizza dough and focaccia this is from a chef that is part of the Crystal Cruise culinary team that has been doing FB live shows since the cruising has stopped. BTW his other recipes have also been spot on. The Pizza dough IS NOT thin NY style, it is more bready than that.

For a great sandwhich rye bread that is made with pickle juice try - https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...e-bread-recipe
Thanks! I'll look at those. From Christmas to Shutdown, the only sandwich bread we had was whole wheat loafs baked using an ATK recipe and King Arthur flour. It was really great and lasted well.

My predecessor prepped her sermons while baking. I should consider it a spiritual discipline, and then I can do it on work time.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:24 PM   #24
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
half them, burlee and add some burrata cheese to center.

Do try the low carb bread I posted above. it is really quite good, and on a par with very good "regular" breads. But there is always space in life for carbs (we eat gelato and do not settle for frozen yogurt )

Cheers.
Old Today, 01:24 PM   #25
nrspepe
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyS View Post
Iíve been subscribed to the NYTimes food newsletter for s few years now. Itís about the cost of 2 cookbooks per year (to actually see the recipes... the newsletter is free). Itís a great way to get exposed to lots of new and different recipes. But theyíve got a peach ice cream recipe that is quite fantastic. No eggs, so you donít have to stand over the stove stirring your custard. Just donít make the full recipe... it needs to be halved for the home kitchen .

(Oh, you should also add the trick of peeling peaches easily. The recipe didnít say that. You drop the peach in boiling water for 30 seconds and then move it quickly to an ice bath. Works great)

Weíve also made peach jam that turned out excellent. But canning it all is a ton of work. (I think we did that before kids)

Peach pie is tricky because itís usually soupy.

Grilled peaches with a scoop of vanilla ice cream would be delicious. But I donít think Iíve successfully done this before.

Weíve been enjoying the peaches this year. Mostly just eating them. Theyíve been delicious. (And ice cream. A metric ton of ice cream...)
OMG, I am salivating. We never get good peaches here in the Las Vegas valley.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote