home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #1
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

Default Song of the South

So I had a thought, and it's not completely worked out, but...well...isn't that what we do here in our discussions?

Anyway, obviously the title movie is buried deep in the vault, and is being removed from the Splash Mountain ride in the parks. Regardless of what you think about the original movie, or the reason for it being hidden away and removed from the parks, the stories in the movie are pretty popular. I still see references to "laughing place" and "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" all the time.

Plus, I remember some of the stories from the original movie about Brer Rabbit and Brer Bear, but I don't really remember any of Uncle Remus. My understanding is that these stories come from African folk tales. I just wonder if the movie could be remade telling the same tales, and possibly using the popular songs, but in a way that would fit with our more modern sensibilities.

What do you think?
cpnkirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #2
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

No. Too many people to be offended, one way or the other. Best to just let it lie.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #3
jflatto
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
No. Too many people to be offended, one way or the other. Best to just let it lie.
In today's climate, someone is offended about anything and with Twitter, Facebook, etc., has a ready available method to share their "offendiveness" with the world.

I do not see Disney wanting to open that "can of worms" as I think there is very little upside to Disney to remake the movie regardless of the intent to redo the movie.

Please do not read this to imply that I do not see an issue with the original movie, rather a general sadness on how someone will be offended by something which then becomes some sort of "cancel culture".

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV; Christmas 2019 - RR and BLT
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Nope, don't think so. It wasn't just Uncle Remus that was the issue. While the author had decent intentions, he was still a product of his time. He lifted the stories from Africans who had been enslaved and put spins that really are playing on poor stereotypes of enslaved and/or recently freed enslaved at the time. As I said his intentions were good, but the time when written even those fighting for rights, still often had biases due to how they were raised.

I'm actually not for locking up movies though. We use them as learning and talking points which are important to me. We even enjoyed riding Splash and were able to remove some ideas even having my spouse and kid being of blood lines traced back to enslaved people. The characters were so removed from some bad stereotypes - though not entirely - that we could enjoy. I get why many could not though.

Sorry for rambles, but I think it's best to not glorify these stories with another remake. Sadly with the history we cannot remove the biases that were there when written. I do think we need to learn from the stories though and not just remove it entirely though from history. That's just as dangerous as not understanding the issues to begin with.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:44 AM   #5
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

I have a huge Disney storybook that released after the movie, It's awful. Just terrible.

There's another book of the Tales of Uncle Remus as told by Julius Lester, illustrated by Jerry Pinkney. Julius Lester was an author of many collections of folklore, especially for children's literature. Try Knee-High man and other Tales, Lester, award-winning African-American children's book illustrator, illustrated dozens of wonderful children's books of folk tales, from Aesop, to American legends like John Henry, to African stories. I would recommend their collaborative work, Tales of Uncle Remus, Adventures of Brer Rabbit for the stories. It's not in the format of a children's picture book, it's more narrative with illustrations throughout.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:51 AM   #6
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

In today's world.....no.
Perhaps in sometime in the future, when people are not offended - one way or the other, parts of the movie can be reused or remade or re-purposed.

The interesting thing about this particular controversy is that a majority people don't even know that the song "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" has anything to do with a movie or that particular movie. To them, its just one of those happy, toe tapping Disney songs to brighten your day.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:10 AM   #7
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

Unless Disney improves their sound system - or I get ear amplifiers - it doesn't matter to me what is played on Splash Mountain, Navi River or Frozen because I can't make out the words. I understand PoC, the Muppets, Lil Mermaid, Finding Nemo and most parts of the Haunted Mansion.

Does anyone know if you still have to stand thru Philharmonic? I don't really remember that except standing for a long time, which is why I've never re-experienced.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:13 AM   #8
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
Unless Disney improves their sound system - or I get ear amplifiers - it doesn't matter to me what is played on Splash Mountain, Navi River or Frozen because I can't make out the words. I understand PoC, the Muppets, Lil Mermaid, Finding Nemo and most parts of the Haunted Mansion.

Does anyone know if you still have to stand thru Philharmonic? I don't really remember that except standing for a long time, which is why I've never re-experienced.
Philharmagic is seated. And cute!
Old 06-18-2021, 11:23 AM   #9
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks, we have always avoided it because it seemed like we stood in it the only time we went, which I think was about 20 years ago. I wonder if we have it confused with something else.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:

One of mine and my family favorite attractions.....so simple, yet so good. As a plus, great A/C when its a bit much outside!

Which reminds me.....I miss the old theater, back past Tony's.