home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Is it a crazy idea to go on the member cruise in June 2021
Yes, this is a crazy idea. You'd be nuts to get on a cruise in June 12 44.44%
I don't think this is a crazy idea. I think by June Covid cases will be substantially down 15 55.56%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Default Poll: Member Cruise? Share Your Opinion

My new UY is beginning (August 1st) and the 7 month booking window for mid-March is opening up. I'm staring at my DVC account with a bunch of banked points pondering exactly how I'm going to use them between now and July 31, 2021.

Rentals are not in the cards for this year. I might be lucky to pull off a few rentals this year, but overall I'm not confident with rentals for 2020/2021.

As an alternative to renting these points, I'm pondering the June 2021 Member Cruise as a way to use up my banked points. Normally, this would be a bad trade, but in the world of Covid-19, it could be an alternative.

DCL wants full payment at the time of booking, so no backing out if I do decide to go this route.

I'm just thinking I would have to be crazy to get on a cruise ship next June, no?

What are others thinking about the Member Cruise?

Where I'm Going 2020:
Aulani - Sunday, December 20 - Friday, January 1, 2021

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 07-27-2020 at 07:39 PM. Reason: typo
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

So.....The Members cruise is an interesting thing right now. It's not like a normal DCL cruise.....its a private charter. Paying upfront for the cruise sucks, with no certainty the cruise will happen.

We went on one Members Cruise and really liked it. The cost is not so great, but the experience was awesome. I would check on the refund policy of this past years cruise and the updated policy for next years cruise to see what would happen if the 2021 cruise is to get canceled.

The cruise industry is in a pickle. The CDC has not issued any guidance on when the ships can sail again and are not really working on them either. Other countries, especially Caribbean islands are not allowing cruise ships to dock and have not issued plans on when they will be allowed.

At best, some US cruise ships will be sailing by December or January.....maybe. At worse, there will be no cruising until spring 2021 with limited itineraries available.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:27 AM   #3
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Tom,

I voted Yes, it is crazy but it has nothing to do with COVID.

The pricing on those cruise is just nuts Can almost do 2 cruises for one with that pricing.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post
Tom,

The pricing on those cruise is just nuts Can almost do 2 cruises for one with that pricing.

The Member's Cruise is about the experience, not the cost.

You can't measure everything in life by dollars and cents.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Tom,

Yes, the pricing is nuts. And as you and I have talked about, usually I sail with RCCL and get two connecting cabins for my family of 4. Since leaving DCL I've reached Emerald status with RCCL. At this point, I figured I'd never sail on DCL again.

Thanks for your thoughts and taking the poll!

Where I'm Going 2020:
Old 07-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
So.....The Members cruise is an interesting thing right now. It's not like a normal DCL cruise.....its a private charter. Paying upfront for the cruise sucks, with no certainty the cruise will happen.

We went on one Members Cruise and really liked it. The cost is not so great, but the experience was awesome. I would check on the refund policy of this past years cruise and the updated policy for next years cruise to see what would happen if the 2021 cruise is to get canceled.

The cruise industry is in a pickle. The CDC has not issued any guidance on when the ships can sail again and are not really working on them either. Other countries, especially Caribbean islands are not allowing cruise ships to dock and have not issued plans on when they will be allowed.

At best, some US cruise ships will be sailing by December or January.....maybe. At worse, there will be no cruising until spring 2021 with limited itineraries available.
Oh, I see, a private charter. That makes a lot of sense about the pricing now having to be paid upfront.

I was reading a bit last night about ports and countries not allowing ships to dock with no answer as to when that will happen in sight. Who can know? That's why planning right now for anything is just so, so, so difficult. All timeshare owners are in a tough spot right now.

So many times people wish they owned a lot of points -- this would be one time people with smaller point numbers are counting their blessings

Thanks Tom for your insight and sharing your thoughts.

Where I'm Going 2020:

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 07-28-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:51 PM   #7
leo122160
Studio

DW & i have a cruise booked April 2021 keeping our fingers crossed. Also looking fwd to a Member Cruise to Alaska in the future
Old 07-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #8
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Yes, the pricing is nuts. And as you and I have talked about, usually I sail with RCCL and get two connecting cabins for my family of 4. Since leaving DCL I've reached Emerald status with RCCL. At this point, I figured I'd never sail on DCL again.

Thanks for your thoughts and taking the poll!
I hear what Tom is saying. I get it that the activities and special events add extra value. But DANG.

4D DELUXE FAMILY STATEROOM W/ VERANDAH 6 454 $3,691
4C DELUXE FAMILY STATEROOM W/ VERANDAH 7 455 $3,699

5 nights.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #9
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
The Member's Cruise is about the experience, not the cost.

You can't measure everything in life by dollars and cents.
Yup. That's our view on PfTS and much of our travel.

Cheers.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:36 PM   #10
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I hear what Tom is saying. I get it that the activities and special events add extra value. But DANG.

4D DELUXE FAMILY STATEROOM W/ VERANDAH 6 454 $3,691
4C DELUXE FAMILY STATEROOM W/ VERANDAH 7 455 $3,699

5 nights.
That is the exact category I was looking to potentially book. I'm spending my morning one more time going through the availability at the parks for Nov, Dec & Jan to see if I can nab a couple of desirable rentals. I think my bigger problem is if the rentals aren't successful or the resorts close down again, I need a place to reallocate those points for a reservation my family will use. Right now availability for Spring Break in WDW is wide open. I'd rather go to Disneyland because it's closer and we can drive, but my DD is a Harry Potter fan and hasn't had the chance to go to Universal in Orlando. She's pushing in that direction -- but, I'd rather stay at Universal if we head to Universal for the front of the line passes. That doesn't help my point dilemma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo122160 View Post
DW & i have a cruise booked April 2021 keeping our fingers crossed. Also looking fwd to a Member Cruise to Alaska in the future
We took a RCCL cruise to Alaska and everyone loved that destination. Maybe you're on to something... Maybe I scrap the current MC (no one in my family really loves those destinations anyway - we've been to all of them) and hold out for Alaska on a Member Cruise

Where I'm Going 2020:

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 07-28-2020 at 01:37 PM. Reason: correction