home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Oh, No, They Didn't!!!!! (Guests Behaving Badly)
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
DisPoly15
One Bedroom

Default Fantasy Island

I'm sure his days on the island were way less exciting than I picture them in my head, but definitely more fun than most people are having right now.

Though all I can think of is during the shutdown and all those videos of kids at the abandoned river country, this probably won't be the last we hear about people at least attempting to get onto this island..

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/loc...outputType=amp
Old 05-02-2020, 06:34 PM   #2
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisPoly15 View Post
I'm sure his days on the island were way less exciting than I picture them in my head, but definitely more fun than most people are having right now.

Though all I can think of is during the shutdown and all those videos of kids at the abandoned river country, this probably won't be the last we hear about people at least attempting to get onto this island..

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/loc...outputType=amp
That's a pretty tame day for Orlando reporting. Just another day in paradise.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

But he was practicing social distancing...
Old 05-02-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
Fiveresorts
Two Bedroom

How did he get there? Is the water there not land locked by Disney owned land or is the northern side not owned by Disney?
Fiveresorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #5
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

What the heck? I agree with PP, how did he get to the Island?

Where I'm Going 2020:
Aulani - Sunday, December 20 - Friday, January 1, 2021
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:10 PM   #6
DisPoly15
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
What the heck? I agree with PP, how did he get to the Island?
When I read the story I did a Google satellite search and the only thing I can think of is that he paddled a long way from the north east where he had someone drop him off with a kayak and he portaged a LONG way. Unless he was somehow able to drive all the way into fort wilderness and put in at the dock there without being seen. Either way i give the guy a ton of credit for getting there, despite the whole trespassing thing. He was definitely determined.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:22 PM   #7
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

We will rent water sprites to look to see how grown over it is. I'm kinda jealous even though it was illegal.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:44 PM   #8
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

It's "Discovery Island", or so it was called at one time. I'm pretty sure I've been there; there are a couple small islands in the middle of Bay Lake and I think this is the larger one. My first visit to WDW was summer 1980 and we took a boat to this island -- at the time it was an active attraction. There were a small number of animals, including giant tortoises and several bird species. It has been closed to guests for a long time.

Last edited by erikthewise; 05-02-2020 at 10:51 PM.
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:01 PM   #9
DisPoly15
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
It's "Discovery Island", or so it was called at one time. I'm pretty sure I've been there; there are a couple small islands in the middle of Bay Lake and I think this is the larger one. My first visit to WDW was summer 1980 and we took a boat to this island -- at the time it was an active attraction. There were a small number of animals, including giant tortoises and several bird species. It has been closed to guests for a long time.
My wife (who's been going to Disney much longer than I have) mentioned this and also suggested that since it was built as a type of animal care facility currently operates as an auxiliary outpost for the animal kingdom. True or not, the mind wanders as to what this guy found on the island. He was definitely not there long enough to find the "others"
Old 05-02-2020, 11:05 PM   #10
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Yep. Fond memories of that place as a kid. The giant tortoises were my favorites. (Probably back in 75/76)