home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > WELCOME TO THE DVC BOARDS AT MOUSEOWNERS.COM > MouseOwners Events and Event Planning
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #1
Diamndrose
Two Bedroom

Question D23 Gold Members? Is it worth it? Destination 23 at the Contemporary

Hi Everyone,

I am a D23 'general member.' I joined when they offered the special to get Disney+.

Now I am wondering if I should upgrade to Gold Member status. This November, there's a Destination D23 event at the Contemporary. I know that most of the D23 events have happened in California.

Are the perks of being a Gold member worth it? Please share your thoughts.

Here's what little info is available on D23 event:

https://d23.com/d23-event/destinatio...zEwY0dfMebrX_w

Thanks All.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

I've never been to one of these type events, because as you mentioned they are normally on the west coast. If the excitement of the crowds, seeing actors, Disney executives, etc. live is your kind of thing you might enjoy it.

Personally, what I want out of these events is the news & announcements, and I get those within hours on youtube or other web pages that specialize in Disney news, so I probably wouldn't be interested in going to one myself.
cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #3
Diamndrose
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
I've never been to one of these type events, because as you mentioned they are normally on the west coast. If the excitement of the crowds, seeing actors, Disney executives, etc. live is your kind of thing you might enjoy it.

Personally, what I want out of these events is the news & announcements, and I get those within hours on youtube or other web pages that specialize in Disney news, so I probably wouldn't be interested in going to one myself.
Thanks, Cpn. I appreciated your thoughts.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I was so excited when D23 was formed. I was an inaugural year member and enjoyed the first few years. But then I quit when I realized that D23 catered to Disneyland first, and gave WDW D23 members crumbs.

I wish they would have made a separate D23 for WDW, like they have done with the Club 33. Having almost everything at Disneyland sucks.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:40 PM   #5
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post

I was so excited when D23 was formed. I was an inaugural year member and enjoyed the first few years. But then I quit when I realized that D23 catered to Disneyland first, and gave WDW D23 members crumbs.

I wish they would have made a separate D23 for WDW, like they have done with the Club 33. Having almost everything at Disneyland sucks.

And this is why I don't do D23 anymore either.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:00 PM   #6
Diamndrose
Two Bedroom

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post

And this is why I don't do D23 anymore either.
You would think that the 'Powers that Be" at Disney Corp would realize that WDW is their 'honey pot' as far as theme parks is concerned.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:43 PM   #7
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Yep, can’t really disagree. I’ve gone to a few Expos in California so made it more worthwhile for me but you do indeed need to travel on their schedule. I too mainly care about the news and announcements and such, and quite true that the information is available almost immediately online. There were some special concerts and presentations that made it more worthwhile to me that were not available online (at the time), however. Particularly those hosted by Dick Sherman and Alan Menken.

That said, the Destination D event is the “lesser” event. I was able to attend one at the Contemporary years ago and plan on attending November’s (depending on price). While an enjoyable series of presentations by former Imagineers, I would not compare it to the Expo.

In short, perhaps worthwhile if you can see yourself making time for the special events both here and elsewhere. Otherwise only if you want the glossy magazine.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:03 PM   #8
Diamndrose
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Yep, can’t really disagree. ....

In short, perhaps worthwhile if you can see yourself making time for the special events both here and elsewhere. Otherwise only if you want the glossy magazine.
Brian, thanks for all your thoughts. We will be at WDW around the time of the D23 destination event. (We would probably miss the first day, but we will be there for the last 2 days.)

I was thinking of going "Gold" and just skipping the event (as we are hosting family for that Thanksgiving week.)

However, I got an email offering 30% off for DVC members, so now i am mulling it over again.

Hope to get to see you sometime soon (for the 50th or maybe D23? lol)
Old 07-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #9
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamndrose View Post
Brian, thanks for all your thoughts. We will be at WDW around the time of the D23 destination event. (We would probably miss the first day, but we will be there for the last 2 days.)

I was thinking of going "Gold" and just skipping the event (as we are hosting family for that Thanksgiving week.)

However, I got an email offering 30% off for DVC members, so now i am mulling it over again.

Hope to get to see you sometime soon (for the 50th or maybe D23? lol)

Saw that 30% off, that’s pretty significant. Perhaps worth giving it a shot for a year?

Looking forward to seeing you guys again soon regardless!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #10
Rigby
Grand Villa

We’ve enjoyed our Gold membership for years now. You get a beautifully put together quarterly magazine. There’s always a members gift every year that usually includes a bunch of pins or some other cool collectors item. Some years they’ve sent out free movie tickets for their next upcoming blockbuster. We’ve never made it to a D23 event because they’re usually during the week out here but there was a members mixer with food and free tickets to the premier of the live action Beauty and the Beast film that was here in Denver. This year we actually have VGF booked for the weekend of the D23 event so we’ll finally get to go. Seems worth it to me. I’d go for it!