home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-15-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
Crafty
Grand Villa

Default Resale booking problem

I had a weird experience yesterday. I was trying to book a room online. It needed a small number of borrowed points. I was well within the 50% borrowing limit.

I could get up until the last step and then I got dwarfs. I tried a couple of times and then called MS.

While I was on hold for about 45 minutes, I fooled around and decided to try another contract. This one worked with no problem and I got the room!!

I stayed on the line partly because I had been on hold so long.

Now comes the MS answer that made me mad. They told me that there was a computer glitch that they were not fixing until the 50% borrowing was eliminated. Apparently resale contracts (yes, resale only) if any points had been borrowed at all, could no longer borrow online to make reservations. They told me that in the future I could borrow only by calling MS and could not book online with borrowed points from those contracts.

Both my resale contracts now had small numbers of borrowed points and could not be used to book online by borrowing points. I would have to call.

I pointed out to them that calling involved long wait times and would prevent me from booking any rooms in high demand. It was also very inconvenient. They replied that the 50% borrowing would be over soon.

It seems to me that making the booking process for resale contracts more difficult should not be allowed. Their excuse that it was a glitch that they weren’t bothering to fix seemed lame to me.

If DVC is thinking that this will drive me to buy direct, they are incorrect. It is more likely to make me sell more points and vacation elsewhere. It is equally bad if they are trying to give a booking edge to direct buyers.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or was it just the person I got on the phone and her supervisor?
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #2
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
I had a weird experience yesterday. I was trying to book a room online. It needed a small number of borrowed points. I was well within the 50% borrowing limit.

I could get up until the last step and then I got dwarfs. I tried a couple of times and then called MS.

While I was on hold for about 45 minutes, I fooled around and decided to try another contract. This one worked with no problem and I got the room!!

I stayed on the line partly because I had been on hold so long.

Now comes the MS answer that made me mad. They told me that there was a computer glitch that they were not fixing until the 50% borrowing was eliminated. Apparently resale contracts (yes, resale only) if any points had been borrowed at all, could no longer borrow online to make reservations. They told me that in the future I could borrow only by calling MS and could not book online with borrowed points from those contracts.

Both my resale contracts now had small numbers of borrowed points and could not be used to book online by borrowing points. I would have to call.

I pointed out to them that calling involved long wait times and would prevent me from booking any rooms in high demand. It was also very inconvenient. They replied that the 50% borrowing would be over soon.

It seems to me that making the booking process for resale contracts more difficult should not be allowed. Their excuse that it was a glitch that they weren’t bothering to fix seemed lame to me.

If DVC is thinking that this will drive me to buy direct, they are incorrect. It is more likely to make me sell more points and vacation elsewhere. It is equally bad if they are trying to give a booking edge to direct buyers.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or was it just the person I got on the phone and her supervisor?
I booked in mid August, using a mix of resale and direct points with no issue. I did borrow to make the reservation, but did not have any previously borrowed points on my contracts.
cpnkirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:21 AM   #3
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
I booked in mid August, using a mix of resale and direct points with no issue. I did borrow to make the reservation, but did not have any previously borrowed points on my contracts.
That seems to be the issue. Resale contracts can only borrow online once, no matter how many points are borrowed.

The resale contract that I was able to finally use, had not been borrowed from previously. Both my contracts have now had small numbers of points borrowed and cannot be used to borrow more and book online.

We have a Dec UY and I was just adding a day to our Oct reservation. We won’t be borrowing again in this UY. I am hoping that this will reset with the change in UY on Dec 1.

In July, I banked my remaining points because we already had our reservations. Deciding to add a day precipitated this whole thing. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have been aware of it. The dwarf page did not indicate anything other than technical problems. This is why I tried repeatedly, never dreaming that having resale points caused the problem.

Halloween Horror Nights, here we come!
Old 10-15-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

Quote:
That seems to be the issue. Resale contracts can only borrow online once, no matter how many points are borrowed.

The resale contract that I was able to finally use, had not been borrowed from previously. Both my contracts have now had small numbers of points borrowed and cannot be used to borrow more and book online.

We have a Dec UY and I was just adding a day to our Oct reservation. We won’t be borrowing again in this UY. I am hoping that this will reset with the change in UY on Dec 1.

In July, I banked my remaining points because we already had our reservations. Deciding to add a day precipitated this whole thing. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have been aware of it. The dwarf page did not indicate anything other than technical problems. This is why I tried repeatedly, never dreaming that having resale points caused the problem.

Halloween Horror Nights, here we come!
What an odd bug. I'm guessing it has to do with checking to see if you've borrowed 50%, which would explain why it won't be fixed before they drop that restriction.

I did notice that it only offered me 50% when it asked about borrowing. If I remember correctly, at the beginning of that restriction, it would allow you to book and borrow more than 50%, but then cancel the reservation at a later time.
cpnkirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
What an odd bug. I'm guessing it has to do with checking to see if you've borrowed 50%, which would explain why it won't be fixed before they drop that restriction.

I did notice that it only offered me 50% when it asked about borrowing. If I remember correctly, at the beginning of that restriction, it would allow you to book and borrow more than 50%, but then cancel the reservation at a later time.
The thing that bothers me is that the problem is limited to resale contracts.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #6
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
If I were going to devote limited resources to an issue that will be going away soon, I'd focus on the higher-paying customers as well. With regard to "values to Disney" you represented less to them than others. Resources get devoted accordingly.

Game the system and sometimes the system games you back.

And I say this as a resale-only person.

Cheers.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:32 PM   #7
Adelard of Bath
Grand Villa

So....are we saying the 50% thing is going away soon?
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:34 PM   #8
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Not sure that's true. I've read reports elsewhere that it happens to some owners who have only direct points. Still sucks big time. Glad you were able to get what you wanted.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:46 PM   #9
runner1219
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
So....are we saying the 50% thing is going away soon?
I sure hope so. I may need to borrow for my trip next summer if some extended family decide to come. I would be short about 15-20 pts if the borrowing cap isn't lifted, but will be fine if it is.
runner1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:19 PM   #10
bubster
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
If I were going to devote limited resources to an issue that will be going away soon, I'd focus on the higher-paying customers as well. With regard to "values to Disney" you represented less to them than others. Resources get devoted accordingly.

Game the system and sometimes the system games you back.

And I say this as a resale-only person.

Cheers.
Aren’t you a grandfathered resale-only person??
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner1219 View Post
I sure hope so. I may need to borrow for my trip next summer if some extended family decide to come. I would be short about 15-20 pts if the borrowing cap isn't lifted, but will be fine if it is.
Can you use OTUP in your situation if the cap isn’t lifted?