home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TECH SUPPORT > Tech Support
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-28-2021, 12:03 AM   #1
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Default Links to Amazon Photos?

Has anyone used Amazon Photos to link pics? Something isn't working when I try to place them in a post. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?
Old 08-28-2021, 12:45 AM   #2
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

No clue. I’ve successfully used photobucket and postimage. Best of luck!
Old 08-28-2021, 06:43 AM   #3
crushturtle
Grand Villa

Stance. I don’t now how PrimePhotos works Vs Photobucket. However Seems I cannot copy and paste here any longer.
crushturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:59 PM   #4
carolina_yankee
Administrator

From what I can tell you cannot embed photos on a forum from Amazon Photos or Google Photos.

It might be worth looking into IMGUR. I believe it is free and designed for photo sharing using their desktop site. The free accounts cannot upload more than 50 photos per hour, but that shouldn’t be a problem if you plan accordingly. Upload 50, and then upload another 50 later.

MouseOwners 2.0 should be much much better when it comes to photo posting.

MouseOwners 1.0 requires having your photos hosted at a site that allows sharing (embedding) onto forums and such. Photobucket used to fit the bill for free hosting, but they went wonky.

I’ve been with Smugmug for 12 years or so, but it’s a paid service. They also own Flickr, which allows you to host 1000 photos free, and then pay after that. They also allow sharing, but I don’t know if the free account works that way.

IMGUR might be your best “photobucket” type bet.

The problem with embedding photos hosted elsewhere is that you need not online link, but also the proper size. Sites like Smugmug, IMGUR, Flickr, let you select your embed size (I use ‘medium’ or ‘large’ on Smugmug, which is about 600 pixels to 800 pixels across). If you don’t size properly, the photo will embed at full size, which can be ginormous these days.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. Smugmug and Flickr can be had for around $60 - $80 per year.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
From what I can tell you cannot embed photos on a forum from Amazon Photos or Google Photos.

It might be worth looking into IMGUR. I believe it is free and designed for photo sharing using their desktop site. The free accounts cannot upload more than 50 photos per hour, but that shouldn’t be a problem if you plan accordingly. Upload 50, and then upload another 50 later.

MouseOwners 1.0 requires having your photos hosted at a site that allows sharing (embedding) onto forums and such. Photobucket used to fit the bill for free hosting, but they went wonky.

I’ve been with Smugmug for 12 years or so, but it’s a paid service. They also own Flickr, which allows you to host 1000 photos free, and then pay after that. They also allow sharing, but I don’t know if the free account works that way.

The problem with embedding photos hosted elsewhere is that you need not online link, but also the proper size. Sites like Smugmug, IMGUR, Flickr, let you select your embed size (I use ‘medium’ or ‘large’ on Smugmug, which is about 600 pixels to 800 pixels across). If you don’t size properly, the photo will embed at full size, which can be ginormous these days.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. Smugmug and Flickr can be had for around $60 - $80 per year.

Dirk
I’m nowhere near your level with a camera, and I don’t really do any sort of editing, beyond an occasional “crop.” Some of those sites are just way above my level. Postimage is pretty simple and easy, and will allow me to “size for message board.” I was actually pretty proud of myself when I found that little feature… Im not sure that the other two are much better with cameras than I am, so we will be relying heavily on photo pass photographers. Hoping that goes well. And I’ll do my best to figure out whatever system MO 2.0 uses.
If you need an IV, blood draw, need to be suctioned, changed, medicated, or advocated for, I’m your girl! Just don’t ask me to take good pictures. Not my wheelhouse…
Old 08-28-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Thanks all. I used Photobucket in the past, but moved on from that when the costs arose.

Based on Ermindy's comments above, I gave Postimage a try, and it seems to be working for now.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:02 PM   #7
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Dirk
Imgur is not phone friendly anymore so if you do use it on a phone switch to desktop mode.

I actually switched over to using below myself for super quick uploads
https://imgbb.com/
Old 08-28-2021, 07:31 PM   #8
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post

Based on Ermindy's comments above, I gave Postimage a try, and it seems to be working for now.

Thanks for all the input.
I use postimage exclusively now and it works well for what I need.

Cheers.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:00 PM   #9
MamaB24
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
No clue. I’ve successfully used photobucket and postimage. Best of luck!
I lovingly (not) call photobucket photosucket. Finally moved my pics to smugmug.

OKW since 2016
"Tricky fish! Tricky fish!"
MamaB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:15 AM   #10
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Glade to hear about postimage and imgbb.

These days Google, Amazon, Apple all have good eco-systems for storing, editing, and sharing photos with family, friends, but are locked down on hosting for forums and other internet usage.

You really do need a both-and solution if you participate on boards.

I agree that sites like SmugMug and Flickr are overkill for the average poster, particularly if they already use their own operating system's photo management and editing options. Good to know there are some free or low-cost sites that are simple and still work!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote