home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > WELCOME TO THE DVC BOARDS AT MOUSEOWNERS.COM > Site / Forum News and Events
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #1
administrator
Please don't make me want to smack you upside the head.

Default A message from the site owners

A message from the site owners:

As you know, MouseOwners has been in existence for nearly 16 years. Sixteen years! That’s longer than some marriages!

And let’s face it: There is much to celebrate about MO. We have provided a decidedly adult-centric place on the web for people who’ve wanted to talk about DVC, Disney, and, well, just about everything else (see Politics Thread) under the sun; with Disney and DVC as our lodestars, we have created a strong community.

During this decade and a half, however, we have to admit that we’ve witnessed some incredibly large and significant changes — changes at Disney, changes to the DVC program, and also changes in ourselves. And if we’re honest about it, we’re no longer happy.

Despite ridding ourselves of the agony that was the Rent/Trade Board, we’ve found that our interest in, and love for, Disney and the DVC program has waned and evaporated until nothing remains but nostalgia for “the good old days” — the days, for example, when there were no restrictions on DVC resales and when a Disney vacation could be a spontaneous, reasonably-priced guarantee of fun (even in the rain!) rather than an apparently outright corporate money-grab and exercise in uber-planning and likely disappointment. When we began to examine our Disney vacations in terms of time spent in line versus time spent in/on attractions, our eyes were opened and frankly, we swallowed hard and wept. Because we realized this was the end. We sold our points and withdrew more and more.

And so, here we stand, recognizing that the time has come to bring to an end what once was purely a labor of love.

MouseOwners as a forum will shut down effective Wednesday, September 15th.

The good news is that, given the number of members (not guests) who actually participate on MouseOwners (approximately 50 at any given time), Facebook provides an excellent forum for community members to migrate to. Start a “MouseOwners Alumni” group and continue your online relationships and community! If you’ve enjoyed interacting with each other here in a forum setting, there’s no reason you can’t do so in that environment.

We’d like to thank you for the past 16 years and we wish you well in your future endeavors.

Kim and Eric

P.S. — Special thanks to Dirk and Tom as well as those who have acted as administrators or moderators through the years (except, of course, for the douchebag who stole our database and tried to destroy our site): it’s a thankless job, but at least they won’t have to worry about it any longer….
Old 08-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #2
dschwarzbauer
Grand Villa

Default The end

I would like to thank you for this site. It has been fun and hopefully it can continue in some format. Without you I would not have gotten to read Sue's adventures, I do hope they continue somewhere. I do agree Disney has turned DVC into a moneygrab and I hope they will see the light!
Old 08-16-2021, 11:57 AM   #3
EEGRAM
Grand Villa

Thank you Kim and Eric and Tom and Dirk.
The hours you all put into this forum are GREATLY appreciated.
While I did not post as frequently as others and mainly lurked, I did come here every day and sometimes multiple times per day to keep up with the news.
I will miss this forum immensely but I do understand.
Good luck to you all.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:01 PM   #4
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

So sad to see this end. I agree with too many of your sentiments and will miss Mouseowners immensely! Thank you for all you’ve done over the years.

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but became neighbors of the Mouse!!!
Old 08-16-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Thank you Kim and Eric for a great forum!!
I don't do Facebook so will not be using that as a replacement.

Richard
Old 08-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #6
Disney Spaz
One Bedroom

I also want to thank you all for your tireless work. This board has been a real joy I appreciate everything Kim and Eric created and all the work Tom, Dirk and everyone else has put into making this a great place to learn and share.

Thank you.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #7
jflatto
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreamingDisney View Post
So sad to see this end. I agree with too many of your sentiments and will miss Mouseowners immensely! Thank you for all you’ve done over the years.
Mouseowners has been so invaluable to us after we bought DVC. Beyond that, many friends made here. Unfortunately, we also agree with your sentiments about Disney. Our December trip may be our last.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV; Christmas 2019 - RR and BLT
Old 08-16-2021, 12:25 PM   #8
mark0157
Two Bedroom

Default Thank you

Thank you for this site. It is the best one out there and I will miss it. We typically only used it when planning for a trip, but the information we found is invaluable!

Plus we found a really awesome TA for our first Disney Cruise on this site
Old 08-16-2021, 12:27 PM   #9
cwmouse
One Bedroom

I will miss Mouseowners. I wish I had found it sooner because it lent the reader great insight into the DVC Timeshare. Thank You for giving me a portal to better understand the many advantages of ownership and support when using DVC was difficult.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #10
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Frankly, I’ve been dreading this announcement for months. It hurts my heart, but I completely understand your decision. And I’m more grateful than I can say for the years of fellowship and support I’ve found on MouseOwners. I will truly miss visiting this site daily to check in with my mousepeeps.

Best of luck to Kim and Eric as they move forward! Thank you to Dirk and Tom for refereeing the site and keeping us in line. And a big thank you to all of my fellow addicts who have enabled me over the last 10 years. I’ll miss you!

And Richard… some of us can still find you, even without FaceBook. Just sayin’…