home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-28-2021, 10:45 PM   #1
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Default Busch Gardens Williamsburg quick TR

Really enjoyed our family trip to Williamsburg, VA last week. Dates and logistics changed a little, but still had a wonderful time!

Arrived in the area Tuesday around 1:00 PM, DH and I agreed on going to Yorktown. Opted for the Battlefield driving tour. Kids opted to play on their phones/listen to music while DH drove the tour, listened to the driving tour app.
It was enjoyable, not as developed as some other sites/tours, but still interesting. looking forward to doing more research

Chose poorly for supper. Fat Tuna, meh. Food was fine, but nothing that great for the price. Next 2 nights were Five Guys burgers for convenience, and finally wonderful Thai takeout the last night. Hoped for more seafood, but was just too put off by first overpriced, mediocre place.

Next 2 days were Busch Gardens theme park...DH's brother, and brother's family live in Fredericksburg. SIL actually laughed out loud when I told her we planned to rope drop Tuesday, they are NOT rope droppers. So while we were at the parks at 9:30 for 10: 00 AM opening, they got there about 3....but they go quite often, so no need to stress over missing things (kinda like us w Disney,) and their kids don't do any coasters. Anyway, VERY pleasantly surprised at how great the theming was. Park separated into several lands/European countries, very reminiscent of Epcot. First ride up was the Griffon....look that up, suspended mid-air, facing downward, 90 degree drop....I must not have been truly awake/had enough coffee, because I did do it twice...just not front row. ANother great coaster, w quite a surprise was Verbolten. I have a feeling it's similar to Hagrid's at IoA. I did that one, and I had enough. Kids and DH rode several others, but Griffon was the favorite. I hope we can add in Busch Gardens Tampa to a future Orlando trip. I know it's a different theme there, but it looks good too. Everyone had a good time at BG Williamsburg.

Thursday, enjoyed Water Country USA< it was BUSY, and we missed rope drop by about 1/2 hr, and that made a difference. Still got on a few slides/rides, then when in-laws/cousins joined us (again, around 2 PM, ) just had fun splashing in lazy river, and visiting.

Family stayed nearby, like across the parking lot, in a much larger suite at Residence Inn, so we got to just visit/hang out in the evenings. Kids hadn't seen their cousins in a few years, and it was so nice to catch up. with BIL/SIL too. I sure missed having something like a DVC room though, and some space.....too crowded for us at Spring Hill suites.....

Our last day, went to historic Jamestowne. That was VERY well done. They have a great archaeology museum on site, plus a good walking tour. After that, hit the road, and DH actually drove whole way back to TN, home at midnight. (DD was thrilled to stop at IHoP on the way back...our local one closed.)

Would so love to go back and do more in historic Williamsburg (sans whining, moaning, groaning teenagers (although they actually seemed interested in some of Jamestown.)) So many great Civil War battlefields there also, would like to go back and tour.

Great trip. Glad to get away, and even get out of our Orlando comfort zone.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:35 AM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Nice summary, thanks for taking the time to share. Glad you enjoyed. Visited once over thirty years ago, sometime Iíd like to return when I can appreciate it more. But around Christmastime, definitely not summer, hahaÖ
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:17 AM   #3
AnnaS
Add-on Aficionado

Thank you for sharing. Sounds like a great time.

We also went about 20 years ago with friends. We had a great time and have always wanted to go back. We also did BG, Water Country USA, Yorktown Settlement, Jamestown (?). The only tour the kids were not that interested in was the historical tour (homes, etc./can't remember the name).

So many places we want to get back to......and so many places we have yet to visit

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:29 AM   #4
amydevoe
Two Bedroom

Thanks for sharing. So glad you enjoyed your trip. We love BG, especially at Christmas time. The amount of lights they have throughout the whole park is amazing.
Agree that Jamestown is well done and we really enjoy Yorktown too. The American Revolution Museum at Yorktown is wonderful. They have colonial-era homes and farms to walk through and have musket and cannon demonstrations. There is also a great drive from Yorktown to Jamestown on the Colonial National Parkway, which is actually maintained by the National Park Service. Great for bike rides too. Really a wonderful area with a lot to see and do.
amydevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:16 PM   #5
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

Yay! Thanks for posting about your trip! This is one of those places we would love to take our kiddos.
disneyridleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:23 AM   #6
BuffaloJim
One Bedroom

I absolutely loved all of Williamsburg. I got single day Busch Gardens tickets on Groupon and bought the Historic Triangle tickets which gave us admission to Colonial Williamsburg, Historic Jamestowne, Jamestown Settlement, American Revolution Museum at Yorktown, and Yorktown Battlefield. It was definitely a fun and relatively educational week - and the teens didnít even complain too much.
BuffaloJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
tracy12502
Two Bedroom

We love Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. We will be going again next June. We stay in a 3 bedroom, at minimum, at Kings Creek. It is minutes from Water Country. We also hope to check out Busch Gardens in Tampa one day.
tracy12502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
NyNcOkw
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Thanks for posting, always nice to hear about other non DVC travels. We really enjoy Williamsburg/Bush Gardens with teens. We like to go in December for Christmas Town to see all the lights and add in some amazing nearby outlet shopping and history opportunities, it’s a win for my gang!
NyNcOkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:00 PM   #9
melk
Grand Villa

Thanks for the report. We stopped there several years ago on a drive back from Hilton Head and spent the day at Busch Gardens. I remember how much we liked it and how the kids really enjoyed the coasters.
melk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:51 PM   #10
SherriH
Studio

Thanks for sharing. I'm always interested in options for vacation in addition to our Disney trips.
SherriH is offline   Reply With Quote