home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-21-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
shell
Studio

Default Which fireworks boat?

As I understand, (for our trip in November) we can choose to go on a pontoon boat cruise with 10 or less people or the big cruise boat with many people and more food/snacks? If anyone has done these cruises - Id love your opinion as to which one we should try and if either is worth it. I was thinking the Magic Kingdom cruise as we wont be going to that park this trip. Thanks in advance for any advice.
shell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
bjackowski
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell View Post
As I understand, (for our trip in November) we can choose to go on a pontoon boat cruise with 10 or less people or the big cruise boat with many people and more food/snacks? If anyone has done these cruises - Id love your opinion as to which one we should try and if either is worth it. I was thinking the Magic Kingdom cruise as we wont be going to that park this trip. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Following along. I've been researching a fireworks cruise for our October trip, but haven't completely figured out all the options yet. I was thinking a pontoon MK cruise.
bjackowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I guess depends on the size of your party.

We have done the pontoon fireworks cruise several times. and have enjoyed each one of them. On occasion, we had two pontoon boats rented and sat side-by-side out on the water.

We had food and drinks catered each time.

The pontoon boats are wide and stable, and very open for nice views.

The big boats are for a splurge and a touch of luxury.

I don't really see a downside here.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:48 PM   #4
shell
Studio

Well, they are about the same price for four people- just wondered if one was fabulously better than the other. Where did you get your food catered from?
shell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:59 PM   #5
pdude81
Grand Villa

I'd book both right now and then cancel one after reviews come in. I say that because the boat view in Epcot will be to the side of the stargate. However, at MK you will be out in the water where it's hard to see projections. After the new fireworks shows are running, you can read reviews to see which is better.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:10 AM   #6
melk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post

We had food and drinks catered each time.
That sounds great. What kinds of things did you have?
melk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #7
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

We did this several years ago for Epcot. When we booked you got chips/pretzels and waters and sodas. For an up charge you could get beers, wines and I think a charcuterie board. For even more of an up charge you could get champagne.

I dont remember what all the extras came to but our kids were too young for us to get the alcohol extras to make it work out. My dad (85 at the time) was able to enjoy the fireworks without having to stand for a prolonged period waiting to see them.

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but became neighbors of the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #8
Jay324
Grand Villa

We have done the pontoon boat several times in both Epcot (well once) and MK for the fireworks cruise. We just got back from WDW three weeks ago and did a Sunday night fireworks MK cruise.

We really prefer the MK cruise for there is just so much more to see and enjoy where the captain takes you around the lake for about 40 minutes before the show and gives you a nice rundown of the lake with many stories of WDW history. The pricing has gone up by $50 (10 person used to be $349 not long ago) and it seems they no longer offer the 8 person pontoon which used to be $299 (now it is just the 10 person for $399). I also noticed that there are signs in the Grand Floridian (we said at VGF) promoting the fireworks cruise so they are trying to get more people to sign up for the trip. Such cruise used to be somewhat of a secret to those in the know like us mouseowners.

As for snacks, it is limited to chips, chex mix, pretzels and soda but you can bring your own snacks on board if you want something specific. And don't be shy about bringing beer and wine on board for we always bring a small cooler filled with beer and each captain hasn't turned us down yet. On our last cruise, the captain even said he encouraged guests to BYOB but he was glad that our group is very relaxed with the alcohol consumption (a couple of beers doesn't hurt anyone). He did say he had an issue a couple of nights earlier where he almost turned around before the fireworks due to a bachelorette party that got a little out of hand (he stuck it out though).

If you have 10 people it is one of the best "extras" to do in WDW at $40 a person. And don't forget to let them know you are a DVC member for they do offer a 10% discount for DVC so you will save $40 off the price.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:03 AM   #9
melk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay324 View Post
We have done the pontoon boat several times in both Epcot (well once) and MK for the fireworks cruise. We just got back from WDW three weeks ago and did a Sunday night fireworks MK cruise.

We really prefer the MK cruise for there is just so much more to see and enjoy where the captain takes you around the lake for about 40 minutes before the show and gives you a nice rundown of the lake with many stories of WDW history. The pricing has gone up by $50 (10 person used to be $349 not long ago) and it seems they no longer offer the 8 person pontoon which used to be $299 (now it is just the 10 person for $399). I also noticed that there are signs in the Grand Floridian (we said at VGF) promoting the fireworks cruise so they are trying to get more people to sign up for the trip. Such cruise used to be somewhat of a secret to those in the know like us mouseowners.

As for snacks, it is limited to chips, chex mix, pretzels and soda but you can bring your own snacks on board if you want something specific. And don't be shy about bringing beer and wine on board for we always bring a small cooler filled with beer and each captain hasn't turned us down yet. On our last cruise, the captain even said he encouraged guests to BYOB but he was glad that our group is very relaxed with the alcohol consumption (a couple of beers doesn't hurt anyone). He did say he had an issue a couple of nights earlier where he almost turned around before the fireworks due to a bachelorette party that got a little out of hand (he stuck it out though).

If you have 10 people it is one of the best "extras" to do in WDW at $40 a person. And don't forget to let them know you are a DVC member for they do offer a 10% discount for DVC so you will save $40 off the price.
Thanks for the info. We have one booked later next month. I had asked on the phone if we could bring our own cooler and they said yes so good to get confirmation on that.

Also, glad to hear they do honor the DVC discount. There had been conflicting info recently from other MOs when asking on the phone.

Also, I remember your trip reports from years ago. Your kids must be quite grown up now!
melk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:51 AM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Sorry...missed your question.

We ordered from Private Dining at the resort (Contemporary). Our last Fireworks cruise, we ordered snacks like cookies and hot chocolate.....it was a late October Cruise with the kids.

I am not sure that private dining is back at the resort. (Just checked and only available at Grand Floridian Resort).