home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Doing Disney After DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Opting for a Second/Vacation/Retirement Home
Why would we opt for another home? We have DVC points! 16 16.00%
We haven't thought much about it. Maybe someday. 23 23.00%
We've been dreaming of a place. I really want do to this! 29 29.00%
We are actively looking for a place. Cross your fingers and wish us luck! 8 8.00%
Yes, we have a place. 27 27.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #81
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Boring Story Time:

When we took our almost-6 year old son J to meet his kindergarten teacher, we of course brought his almost-3 year old brother P along. Apparently they had been studying shapes in that classroom, and had taped paper cutouts in various shapes on the window. At one point P pointed to one and said "Hexagon!" Even I was a little surprised, but said "Yes, P, that's a hexagon!" I have often wondered what that teacher was thinking.....

This was during the "golden age" of children's CD's, and one of those we had did shapes, so P knew all about them!
At 3, Em could tell you ďIf itís wet and itís not yours, donít touch it without gloves on!Ē My Mom said that I warped her by reading my Med-Surg textbook instead of Dr Seuss. But the kid wouldnít sleep, and I had to study at some point...
Old 12-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #82
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
We looked at Tampa/St Pete area (to be close to MacDill AFB) during the Great Recession but nothing we saw left us impressed.

I glanced at some Orlando properties last night and the cost looked very reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
There's also the possibility of getting something small (think condo-sized) near family in Pompano Beach, FL.

Cheers.
We bought an oceanfront condo in Myrtle Beach so not even in FL. Of course this was just before my son bought his first home in Jacksonville and moved my granddaughters away from me! LOL.

Simple truth, we wanted OF/GF with a balcony on the waves and budget was that was not happening in FL.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #83
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post
We bought an oceanfront condo in Myrtle Beach so not even in FL. Of course this was just before my son bought his first home in Jacksonville and moved my granddaughters away from me! LOL.

Simple truth, we wanted OF/GF with a balcony on the waves and budget was that was not happening in FL.
Myrtle Beach is home & most of my family is there. Someday, we'll build a small place there, most likely in Murrells Inlet. In the unlikely event that all my retirement planning all goes according to schedule (HA!), starting in about 15 years our time will be split between RV traveling, place in Florida, place in the inlet and a place in the mountains. All three homes will be in/around vacation destinations so short term rentals a retirement stream will always be an option. Hopefully we will have planned/saved well enough that will always be a "just in case" or "for extra money" not something we ever need to count on to pay the bills.

After watching Moving to Orlando for about an hour or so last night, I realized I wasn't really learning anything new. But I did have a thought. I may try to talk my friend Keisha the Orlando real estate agent into doing a channel along those lines from her perspective. She would be far more interesting to watch, at least in my admittedly biased opinion.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #84
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

I have a really good friend from HS that has lived in Murrels Inlet for about 30 years now. She has a house with nice pool, on the channel for their boat and walks to the beach almost every morning with their dogs. Looks amazing and what a fun life.

I think we will establish residence in MB for over 6 months. The rest here in VA because I like my little town and have made good friends and golf buddies. But of that time in MB, about a month of it may be in DVC rooms in Jan/Feb with my current points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post
Myrtle Beach is home & most of my family is there. Someday, we'll build a small place there, most likely in Murrells Inlet. In the unlikely event that all my retirement planning all goes according to schedule (HA!), starting in about 15 years our time will be split between RV traveling, place in Florida, place in the inlet and a place in the mountains. All three homes will be in/around vacation destinations so short term rentals a retirement stream will always be an option. Hopefully we will have planned/saved well enough that will always be a "just in case" or "for extra money" not something we ever need to count on to pay the bills.

After watching Moving to Orlando for about an hour or so last night, I realized I wasn't really learning anything new. But I did have a thought. I may try to talk my friend Keisha the Orlando real estate agent into doing a channel along those lines from her perspective. She would be far more interesting to watch, at least in my admittedly biased opinion.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #85
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post

My son's in-laws moved to Murrells Inlet and love it there. Sounds like a very nice place - not in the midst of the MB craziness.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #86
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

I grew up in the inlet, so it will always be home to me. One set of great grandparents moved there from TN before the turn of the last century. I distinctly recall my granddad talking about laying in some grass as a boy, watching the first telegraph lines go up. He couldn't quite figure out how they were going to string letters along those lines fast enough to send a message. Granddad lived through the space age to the info age before he passed. Sometimes when the pace of change seems too fast, I think about his generation and how much their world changed. That helps.

Murrells Inlet is still a much more relaxed pace than MB proper, but not even close to the chill of when I was a kid there. Just like other places that have seen rapid development, I drive through and think about what used to be in spots that now have subdivisions or commercial space. Sometimes I miss the trees and the quiet. It makes me grateful for places like Brookgreen and Huntington Beach state park. Those spaces give a sense for the land before the growth.

If you like MB but haven't made it to Huntington, it is well worth a visit. It is also a good park to RV, with campsites just a row of dunes away from the ocean.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #87
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

There are a few YT channels to watch about moving to Florida...not necessarily Orlando. We watch three YT channels on moving into the Villages... We get the rose colored glass view, the pros and cons, and the expenses not normally talked about views. Very fun and informative. My husband doesn’t understand why I keep watching these channels when we are “ not moving to Florida”...
Old 12-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #88
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post

Good point. There is something to be said for a waterfront view. Even a small condo in Pompano would go way up in price on the water (haven't priced it,but I know that). We are familiar with some pricing in the area as my brother and I bought mom a nice place in an over-55 community some years ago. Very nice place with great landscaping. She has passed and my brother now rents it out. But I know pricing there...not terribly close to the water.

Cheers.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #89
nrspepe
Grand Villa

We have two vacation homes...one in St Augustine Beach FL and another in Big Bear Lake CA. Love both. See ourselves retiring to St Augustine Beach one day.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #90
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
We watch three YT channels on moving into the Villages...
I watched a few of those. They quickly and decidedly talked me OUT of any thoughts of moving The Villages. Seemed like an absolute PRISON system to me. Ugh. I would hate it.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote