home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Doing Disney After DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Opting for a Second/Vacation/Retirement Home
Why would we opt for another home? We have DVC points! 16 16.00%
We haven't thought much about it. Maybe someday. 23 23.00%
We've been dreaming of a place. I really want do to this! 29 29.00%
We are actively looking for a place. Cross your fingers and wish us luck! 8 8.00%
Yes, we have a place. 27 27.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #161
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post
I don't know anything about Paradise Palms. But we are here for the next week, so I can check with my real estate buddy. If she had any time, maybe I can talk her into taking me over to check it out for you.
Aw, thanks. But just enjoy your visit. We will be down there in 2 weeks to check things out. If you are nearby there....maybe you can do a drive thru. But, otherwise just have yourself a nice vacay!

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s): 12/27-2/26 at our FL house with few 1 night stays at DVC and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #162
Maddismom
One Bedroom

I voted Yes we have a place. It's only a couple years ago we finally made the decision, as scary as it was, to purchase a small place at the Jersey Shore. I've vacationed there since I was a child of have many happy memories with my late parents and family. Prices are high since it's a resort town but we have our slice of heaven we say for now.
Timing was perfect because of Covid and we were able to stay there almost full time since we're working remote! Looking forward to another summer of remote working and being able to sit by the ocean again...
Maddismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:26 AM   #163
JanszLoveOswald
Studio

We won't be able to retire for another 7 years or so.... Have to get the last child through college & man is tuition expensive!!

Our retirement plan is to travel cross-country in our RV several months each year. We don't plan on leaving the Northern Virginia area, at least right now.

We have a 40 foot fifth wheel, so it's more like "glamping" than camping.

Has anyone bought or considered buying a permanent RV site to use during retirement?
JanszLoveOswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:36 AM   #164
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanszLoveOswald View Post
We won't be able to retire for another 7 years or so.... Have to get the last child through college & man is tuition expensive!!

Our retirement plan is to travel cross-country in our RV several months each year. We don't plan on leaving the Northern Virginia area, at least right now.

We have a 40 foot fifth wheel, so it's more like "glamping" than camping.

Has anyone bought or considered buying a permanent RV site to use during retirement?
It was a thought. We have a 32” travel trailer (Ziva) right now. The intentions was to bring it down south for the winter but jobs changed, we moved and now own two houses so that has been put on hold. Plus right now we only use it locally. When we brought it from our MI house to IL house, it was quite stressful as half way there a severe storms broke out. Then recently we moved my Son out of state, involving pulling a moving trailer and mountains. Hubby and I decided during that trip we don’t enjoy “pulling” things. I sat there for 12 hours watching the trailer behind us. Looks like we will be selling her (which is sad because she’s perfect for our family) and then reevaluating what type of camper when we retire. Probably a Class C. But a permanent site in FL has always been a consideration once we retire.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:15 AM   #165
oufpat
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddismom View Post
I voted Yes we have a place. It's only a couple years ago we finally made the decision, as scary as it was, to purchase a small place at the Jersey Shore. I've vacationed there since I was a child of have many happy memories with my late parents and family. Prices are high since it's a resort town but we have our slice of heaven we say for now.
Timing was perfect because of Covid and we were able to stay there almost full time since we're working remote! Looking forward to another summer of remote working and being able to sit by the ocean again...
We've also had a place at the Jersey Shore for over 20 years. COVID made us realize we really want to be in our Happy Place, so last fall we sold our home up North and have become full time residents down here and we love it. So do the grandkids who have spent a lot of their remote learning time with us. Nothing like a walk along the beach to lift your spirits! Next step is to work on becoming "snow birds".
oufpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #166
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by oufpat View Post
We've also had a place at the Jersey Shore for over 20 years. COVID made us realize we really want to be in our Happy Place, so last fall we sold our home up North and have become full time residents down here and we love it. So do the grandkids who have spent a lot of their remote learning time with us. Nothing like a walk along the beach to lift your spirits! Next step is to work on becoming "snow birds".
I can never remember.... are snow birds the ones who migrate to avoid snow, or the ones who migrate to enjoy it?
Old 02-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #167
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
I can never remember.... are snow birds the ones who migrate to avoid snow, or the ones who migrate to enjoy it?

A sunbird travels from hot places to cool places
Old 02-26-2021, 01:49 PM   #168
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
When the snow hits you in the tail feathers you go south to the sun.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:51 PM   #169
SuzanneSLO
Grand Villa

We have had a vacation condo in Maui which we bought in 2002. We bought DVC in 2005 and bought a 2nd unit just down the hall in Maui in 2009. We rent the Maui units out and have had a steady rental income until 2020. We used to visit at least annually until we discovered Aulani.
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #170
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking Lake Nona

We’ve decided to snow bird, and perhaps eventually retire in Florida.

We’re buying a house in lake nona (about 40 minutes from disney). Closing in July.

Excited and scared as we enter a new chapter.

Goldi

Find me in the unofficial DVC Rental List:
http://bit.ly/SawickipediasDVCRentalList

Home Resorts: AKV+BCV+BLT+RIV+VGF+OKW+SSR+VBR
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote