home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Doing Disney After DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Opting for a Second/Vacation/Retirement Home
Why would we opt for another home? We have DVC points! 16 16.00%
We haven't thought much about it. Maybe someday. 23 23.00%
We've been dreaming of a place. I really want do to this! 29 29.00%
We are actively looking for a place. Cross your fingers and wish us luck! 8 8.00%
Yes, we have a place. 27 27.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #1
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Default Latest MO Trend: Vacation Homes

It seems like there's been an increasing trend for MouseOwner's to think about or move ahead with plans to purchase vacation/retirement homes. Out of curiosity, I thought it would be interesting to put up a poll & see what happens.

FWIW - I shared our story in some detail on this thread. Almost a year later, I'm still thrilled with buying in Regal Palms. I visited several times this year & DD + DH spent close to 3 months altogether in our Florida place.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
brp
Add-on Aficionado

I guess this will also depend on the definition of "vacation home." We've thought about getting another small place somewhere to spend more time after retirement, but I wouldn't call it "vacation" in that sense. Just a second location.

Thinking (currently) of New Orleans.

Cheers.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

I voted "we've been dreaming of a place" but DH and I have been dreaming of a place for quite sometime now.

We currently own 2 rental properties and honestly, overall they are just a pain in the butt. If we bought a vacation home most likely it would be another rental and I just don't know if I can deal with those headaches. Renters, in my experience (for the most part) are not very respectful of properties.

So, we continue to dream and consider selling our DVC points for a more permanent home, but for now, DVC is working out pretty good for us. We go, we use, we leave and it holds little worry. That has a lot of appeal to us [the little worry part].

Where I'm Going 2020:
Aulani - Sunday, December 20 - Friday, January 1, 2021
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #4
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

I voted that we already have a second/vacation home. But....in my opinion...it's in the wrong state!!! We were very blessed to be able to purchase a ranch home on 10 acres of hardwoods, backing up to the Huron Manistee National Forest in Michigan about 14 years ago. For me, I would prefer to have something somewhere warm, but for the rest of the family, it's pure heaven.

For those considering getting a second home, I do have to share it's not only extra maintenance that takes some time away from fun time, but its a bit of a mental strain too. Whenever we have any extra days off, instead of trying new things, it's always a trip up to Michigan. It's always on the mind that "I should get up there to do this and I better sneak over there this weekend to do that." There are a lot of rewards of having your own vacation home, but also added responsibilities that weigh on you too.

When we purchased though, we wouldn't have if we had to rent it out to afford it. I'm a germ freak as it is, and I just couldn't deal with someone not showing as much respect to my property as I would want. That's one stress I just was not willing to partake in. So, it's family and friends only. They know my rules...no smoking, no pets, bring your own tp and no money charged...if they want to leave something as a thank you, pay with a bottle of wine and a few beers left in the fridge.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Not for us. I really love hearing about other MOís travel/retirement plans! But unless we decide to sell all of our animals, (and with baby goats due in 16 days, I donít see that happening) we will never travel for more than 7-10 days at a time. And probably not more than 1-2 times per year. So a vacation home isnít in the cards for us. But Iíd rather have my farm than a vacation home, so it all works out.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:39 PM   #6
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

I'm a bit torn on this. As much as I would like a second home, I have no stomach for renting or the headaches of maintaining a property that will be empty for a fair amount of time. I'm content to rent VRBO/AirBnB/timeshares for the time being.

If I do buy elsewhere, it would be to move to establish residency in hopes of avoiding CA income taxes but not sure I would want to give up the property tax advantages I have with my CA home so we'll probably keep it forever.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #7
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Hmm, I'll have to think on this. DH dreams of having a home on the beach....but I think DH means we'll just live there all the time. Growing up in So Louisiana, and living through quite a few bad hurricanes, I do not want to live or maintain property on the beach. Close by maybe, but not on it.
But we both want to live in Florida, so who knows. Less likely for hurricanes on the western gulf side, so maybe Tampa....
I inherited 2 properties that I could've tried to rent, but I just didn't want the headache, stress, or any of it. both were out of state. Both of us stress too much over things like that. We don't even want to think about renting DVC points.
But, If we could find a condo/property with an excellent management company that would take care of everything, that might be different.
Just don't know .we would love to have another place in Florida, but will probably just end up moving there when DS graduates or soon thereafter if we can manage.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:52 PM   #8
AnnaS
Add-on Aficionado

I voted - we have thought about it, maybe someday.

We could purchase a condo now if we really wanted to but a combination of reasons are holding us back. There are days that I am tempted and I look/browse. Then there are days that I think of all the reasons why it might not be a good idea and brush it off.

My in-laws gave my husband and brother-in-law their condo in Jupiter, FL years ago (about 12 years ago). We ended up selling it (8 years ago). We were tempted to buy out my brother-in-law out but we would have overpaid for it. Dealing with family might not always result in the best transaction.

Is it a possibility? yes. The more time passes, the more it will mostly likely be a no. Then again I think, it will be there for the kids

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:01 PM   #9
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

We have DVC points. I look at it as a timeshare though, not a second home. Have no desire to have a second home. We have downsized. My next home will be six feet under in my cemetery plot.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:24 PM   #10
bubster
Add-on Aficionado

We have DVC points and want to use them so this year has definitely been a challenge. DH would love to buy a place in FL but that is not in the cards, too many dr appointments for both of us. Plus we could never leave the kids and grands.