home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-15-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Default Why is it MS has no access to DL stuff?

So called the MS yesterday figured I would knock out everything at once.

Asked about scheduling cabana and was told they donít have access to anything @ DL - no tickets no dining reservations ectÖ

I find this really odd- especially with the new DVC tower move along full speed.

Is there a reason besides that it is just a smaller inventory?

Do you think it will change once the new tower opens?
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:11 PM   #2
bwvBound
Grand Villa

It has been long reported that the computer systems and media (ticket) accounting are completely different, separate and unrelated. It might also be that the processes are also so different as to be considered too difficult to keep staff trained properly in both.

As a DL local ... I was once frustrated by the lack of coordination when we first started visiting WDW. Now, I just live with it. Two different 'systems.' Entirely different, somehow ...

Good luck with your ticketing, park reservations and dining reservations!

Edited to add: In times past (pre-Covid), dining reservations at DLR were not a worry and could, likely, be booked "day of." Since reopening, dining has become a competitive struggle. Do keep in mind that DLR's Downtown Disney is, to some extent, an extension of either park. Expand your dining horizons to include the restaurants in Downtown Disney!!!
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Yep, unfortunately has always been this way. Not expecting that to change anytime soon, even with an additional Disneyland DVC option.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
Sephorin
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
It has been long reported that the computer systems and media (ticket) accounting are completely different, separate and unrelated. It might also be that the processes are also so different as to be considered too difficult to keep staff trained properly in both.
My understanding is that Member Services would have to actually call a Disneyland cast member to get anything done for you over there.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:54 PM   #5
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephorin View Post
My understanding is that Member Services would have to actually call a Disneyland cast member to get anything done for you over there.
Which, to me, suggests a training issue/limitation.

Even if the two computer systems were not bridged ... I'd expect that either side, if needed, should be able to fire up an application, emulator, terminal window or browser to login and access the other side. I'm pretty certain, if I had valid credentials on both that I should be able to access them from my home ... but I've been a mostly-remote worker specializing in database systems since the 80s. So, both my experience and expectations are different ...
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:01 AM   #6
cali09
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Yep, unfortunately has always been this way. Not expecting that to change anytime soon, even with an additional Disneyland DVC option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephorin View Post
Yes. And it never seems to occur to anyone to account for the time difference between the East and West coast when reservations open for special events.

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:43 AM   #7
Sephorin
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
Which, to me, suggests a training issue/limitation.

Even if the two computer systems were not bridged ... I'd expect that either side, if needed, should be able to fire up an application, emulator, terminal window or browser to login and access the other side. I'm pretty certain, if I had valid credentials on both that I should be able to access them from my home ... but I've been a mostly-remote worker specializing in database systems since the 80s. So, both my experience and expectations are different ...
Oh, I'm sure you're right. If Disney really wanted to give Member Services access to Disneyland's system and train cast members on that system, they could.

But Disney almost certainly won't see this as worth the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali09
Yes. And it never seems to occur to anyone to account for the time difference between the East and West coast when reservations open for special events.
Good point.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:55 PM   #8
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Maybe they also refuse to acknowledge that there is a real Disney park in Anaheim...just like me

Cheers.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #9
nrspepe
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Maybe they also refuse to acknowledge that there is a real Disney park in Anaheim...just like me

Cheers.
That was us for a long while. Lived in the West for almost 20 years before going to DL…while trekking off to DW multiple times a year. Always thought we’d be overly disappointed.

Having finally made it there, we appreciate it for what it is and enjoy spending a few days between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote