home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > WELCOME TO THE DVC BOARDS AT MOUSEOWNERS.COM > Welcome to the Forums!
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #21
parlay
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubster View Post
Back on topic.

I am seriously considering renting a scooter for our upcoming trip. Left knee is a total train wreck and am between injections. This thread is very interesting in that I have the same questions. Having panic attacks about trying to maneuver the transportation. Thinking maybe about just using it to get around DS as we are staying at SSR.
My friend fell over her vacuum 2 days before her Disney trip late July. She jacked up her knee and back. She ordered a scooter the night before their flight and it was waiting for her at the resort BUT she didnít use it for the first 2 days because her 14 yr old was embarrassed - she finally had enough and she said the day she started using it the quality of her park visits was amazing because she wasnít in pain trying to keep up with her boys. She just kept commenting on how helpful and kind Disney Transportation was! She was staying in Gran Destino Tower and navigated the elevators too. Donít hestitate to get that EVC!
parlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #22
bubster
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlay View Post
My friend fell over her vacuum 2 days before her Disney trip late July. She jacked up her knee and back. She ordered a scooter the night before their flight and it was waiting for her at the resort BUT she didnít use it for the first 2 days because her 14 yr old was embarrassed - she finally had enough and she said the day she started using it the quality of her park visits was amazing because she wasnít in pain trying to keep up with her boys. She just kept commenting on how helpful and kind Disney Transportation was! She was staying in Gran Destino Tower and navigated the elevators too. Donít hestitate to get that EVC!
Thank you! I know that if I donít I will regret it.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #23
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen99 View Post

Not sure if itís policy or what but I wasnít allowed to use the ďregularĒ gondolas in January and had to wait for the specially equipped ones to come in.
I didn't know that certain gondolas were "specially equipped". I used an ECV when I rode the Skyway, and to me the gondola I was in looked like all the others. How are they different?
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:55 PM   #24
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I didn't know that certain gondolas were "specially equipped". I used an ECV when I rode the Skyway, and to me the gondola I was in looked like all the others. How are they different?
The inside of all gondolas are identical. There is a control mechanism on all of the gondolas that determines if that gondola stays in the normal load area or is sent to the ECV load area. Something like every 10th gondola is set to go into the ECV load area. Only IG, DHS, CBR & AoA/POP have the separate ECV load area.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:51 PM   #25
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
The inside of all gondolas are identical. There is a control mechanism on all of the gondolas that determines if that gondola stays in the normal load area or is sent to the ECV load area. Something like every 10th gondola is set to go into the ECV load area. Only IG, DHS, CBR & AoA/POP have the separate ECV load area.
Which leaves out... Riviera... that's all I've got!
Old 09-02-2021, 07:58 AM   #26
jflatto
Grand Villa

Quote:
From what I could tell, there was no difference between the gondolas other than a hidden mickey sticker on the window. Those gondolas has a small pair of wheel chocks to put behind the ECV when loaded. The chocks kept the ECV from moving and potentially rolling backwards, forcing the door open, letting the ECV and occupant fall out while high above the ground, in other words, a new Thrill Ride.

In reality, when stopped, an ECV does not move without pushing the controls or flipping the lever at the back to disengage the wheels to make free wheeling. It is possible but unlikely for the ECV to move so I guess the wheel chocks make sense. But each station could have a supply of wheel chocks rather than just leaving wheel chocks in select gondolas.

I would find it very, very unlikely that only these certain gondolas have the ability to be pulled off the line to allow stopped ECV loading.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV; Christmas 2019 - RR and BLT
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #27
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
I donít know about the inside of the compartments-

Was just really annoyed that I had to go to separate loading area - IMO there was no need for it- Curious if itís a policy that mobility devices have to board separately.

We were 2 families traveling- so it was incredibly inconvenient.
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:34 PM   #28
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
From what I could tell, there was no difference between the gondolas other than a hidden mickey sticker on the window. Those gondolas has a small pair of wheel chocks to put behind the ECV when loaded. The chocks kept the ECV from moving and potentially rolling backwards, forcing the door open, letting the ECV and occupant fall out while high above the ground, in other words, a new Thrill Ride.

In reality, when stopped, an ECV does not move without pushing the controls or flipping the lever at the back to disengage the wheels to make free wheeling. It is possible but unlikely for the ECV to move so I guess the wheel chocks make sense. But each station could have a supply of wheel chocks rather than just leaving wheel chocks in select gondolas.

I would find it very, very unlikely that only these certain gondolas have the ability to be pulled off the line to allow stopped ECV loading.
Got it! Thanks for the explanation. And thanks for explaining how ECVs really can't just roll backwards. Otherwise I would have thought twice about ever going on the Skyway again-that kind of thrill ride doesn't really appeal to me at all.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #29
jflatto
Grand Villa

Quote:
Got it! Thanks for the explanation. And thanks for explaining how ECVs really can't just roll backwards. Otherwise I would have thought twice about ever going on the Skyway again-that kind of thrill ride doesn't really appeal to me at all.
One item I keep in the owner's locker is a retractable key ring holder that I attach to the ECV key. See https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088MQ9JI as an example. I clip it to my belt loop so I can't lose the key or more likely, when I forget to remove the key in the park when I get off for a ride or to eat or ...

I always turn off the key and remove it when loaded on a bus, monorail, gondola, etc. With the key turned off, the ECV can not roll, effectively "park" in a car. To get it to roll, there is a lever by the rear wheels that must be moved to put the ECV into "neutral".

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV; Christmas 2019 - RR and BLT
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote