home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Other Vacations After Selling DVC
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-19-2021, 03:28 AM   #1
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Default Selling up and seeing the world!

Yesterday’s Disney announcement was the final push my husband and I needed.

We are going to start selling all 860 points (Beach Club, Saratoga, and Animal Kingdom) and use the annual dues to stay at different Airbnb accommodations around the world.

One year of annual dues will get us three months of rentals in Europe; a month on a Greek Island, a month in Venice, and a month on a beach in Spain - just as an example. There are so many magical places to explore!

And then the proceeds of our sales will be awesome for flights, food etc.

I’ve decided it would be fun to “snowbird” to a variety of warm places. And it seems like there is no shortage of rentals available near Disney World for when I get withdrawal. (My husband goes to Disney out of love for me - he’d rather travel to other places anyway).

Now that it is so easy to book short term rentals around the world, I’m becoming less excited about vacation ownership. Especially when our dues keep rising, but the value of owning at Disney seems to be declining.

So I guess I’m joining the “after DVC” team!

Last edited by mountainjourno; 08-19-2021 at 03:34 AM.
mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:50 AM   #2
melk
Grand Villa

That sounds like a great plan, congratulations!!
melk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:30 AM   #3
EEGRAM
Grand Villa

Yep. I have been pondering this myself. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:20 AM   #4
chrisvee
One Bedroom

Congrats! Sounds like a wonderful plan.
chrisvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #5
tammymacb
Add-on Aficionado

We did the same and although I miss some of my stays (mostly big family trips to HHI) I don't regret anything else. If we do Disney these days, it's usually at Shades of Green for F&W and that's about it.
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

I sold all but one small contract over the past few years.

Don't miss them at all and based on current moves.. the last one will go soon! (Probably hold it a few months to sell with a full point allotment)
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:04 AM   #7
MinnieSueB
Two Bedroom

Good luck & enjoy your future adventures!!!
MinnieSueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Yep. Can totally relate. We went from 650 to 275 and I would sell more but the DH wants to keep some. We then bought a vacay property in FL to basically snow bird at and we rent when not using. Best wishes! Happy travelling!!

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s): 12/27-2/26 at our FL house with few 1 night stays at DVC and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #9
brp
Add-on Aficionado

This sounds like an excellent plan. If you had asked me a couple of years ago, I'd have said that we're keeping these until 2042, pretty much no matter what. Not gonna sell.

Well, we're still not selling as the benefits and magic for us still outweigh the negatives. I plan; I like to plan. So things that added planning were not negatives as it actually made the planning easier (and we now do less planning than we used to). So, while this was a negative to some, it was neutral to positive for us.

Of course, they're adding pretty universal negatives now - park reservations, Genie+, probably others I can't think of right now.

Again, still not selling at this point. But it's now no longer off the table in our minds. 2042 seems more nebulous as our end date.

And, another consideration is that we have, and have always only had, 250 points.

Cheers.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Congrats!!!

You had your years of fun and enjoyment and now you want to move on to "other" vacations. The best part is you will be netting some serious cash from your DVC sales after all those trips!!!