home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
jw8774
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Gopro vs DSLR

I have always taken my dslr to all our WDW trips but I am considering taking my Gopro for our next trip. Have any of you used a Gopro in the parks and if so how would you rate the still pics on it?
jw8774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Why would you want the GoPro vs DSLR?
PSULion22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
jw8774

Because it is smaller and easy to carry. I am not 100% sold on taking it instead of my DSLR just wanting to see if anyone has and if the pictures were any good. I have used it at Yellowstone, Zion, and the Grand Canyon but I only used it for video I used my DSLR too for stills.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

I'd use my phone for stills before a GoPro.

My nephew took his GoPro a couple of trips ago. Said it made for some "interesting" perspectives. Problem for him was gauging what he was shooting at.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw8774 View Post
Because it is smaller and easy to carry. I am not 100% sold on taking it instead of my DSLR just wanting to see if anyone has and if the pictures were any good. I have used it at Yellowstone, Zion, and the Grand Canyon but I only used it for video I used my DSLR too for stills.
That's what I'm asking. Are you primarily looking to take stills or video? Depending on your DSLR, it may take video at a much better quality than the GoPro, with an added benefit of the interchangable glass. GoPros definitely have their purpose, video where portability and durability are paramount. I don't know that it's a suitable DSLR replacement, particularly for stills.

i get the size and weight issue. But if that's your main concern, look into a Sony a6xxx mirrorless system. They're relatively inexpensive and have pretty good image quality, both stills and video (even more so for video). I think your cell phone might take as good stills as that GoPro, and possibly even video, in all honesty.
PSULion22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
jw8774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I'd use my phone for stills before a GoPro.

My nephew took his GoPro a couple of trips ago. Said it made for some "interesting" perspectives. Problem for him was gauging what he was shooting at.
Being able to gauge what I am shooting was one reason I wanted to see what others had experienced.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #7
jw8774

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
That's what I'm asking. Are you primarily looking to take stills or video? Depending on your DSLR, it may take video at a much better quality than the GoPro, with an added benefit of the interchangable glass. GoPros definitely have their purpose, video where portability and durability are paramount. I don't know that it's a suitable DSLR replacement, particularly for stills.

i get the size and weight issue. But if that's your main concern, look into a Sony a6xxx mirrorless system. They're relatively inexpensive and have pretty good image quality, both stills and video (even more so for video). I think your cell phone might take as good stills as that GoPro, and possibly even video, in all honesty.
Thank you for the suggestion! I will definitely check the Sony out. My DSLR does amazing videos but when we are hiking it stays safely in my pack, the quality is better than my Gopro but the durability is the main reason I use it for videos hiking.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #8
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw8774 View Post
Being able to gauge what I am shooting was one reason I wanted to see what others had experienced.
He said it made it difficult and had to discard a lot.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #9
jw8774

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post

I will definitely check out the Sony!
Old 07-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #10
jw8774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
He said it made it difficult and had to discard a lot.
That is what I was afraid of!