home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
chunter
Two Bedroom

Default Do You Still Bring DSLRs? (phone HDR is amazing)

As phone cameras have gotten WAY better, do you still find it necessary to bring your DSLR?
My nexus 6p HDR lowlight capability is amazing. The Google pixel and Pixel 2 lowlight HDR quality is getting incredibly amazing.
I think its to the point that my phone can take certain night photos better than my T2i (without flash attachment).

Thoughts?
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I have not brought my DSLR to WDW for a few years now. In fact, the only time I use it anymore are for really special occasions and really special trips.

My mobile phone has become my go to camera. Its light, sleek (fits in my pocket) and the photos are instantly available to post and share, whether its in a text, photobucket, social media, etc.

I am getting the new Samsung soon and have read about the how fantastic their camera is on the new phone.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
chunter
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I have not brought my DSLR to WDW for a few years now. In fact, the only time I use it anymore are for really special occasions and really special trips.

My mobile phone has become my go to camera. Its light, sleek (fits in my pocket) and the photos are instantly available to post and share, whether its in a text, photobucket, social media, etc.

I am getting the new Samsung soon and have read about the how fantastic their camera is on the new phone.
Do you usually get the memory maker? If not, is it because you have an annual pass and go often?
Old 03-27-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter View Post
Do you usually get the memory maker? If not, is it because you have an annual pass and go often?
I have the Platinum Plus Annual Pass.

I do not get the photopass packages.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post

I just went to Sony a6500 mirrorless from Canon 6D full-frame dSLR. I'll be curious if I use it more in the parks! I think I will.

Phone cameras are getting better, and for many situations in excellent lighting, I'm good with my phone. However, I still appreciate the ability to use different focal lengths, blur background (the software version just doesn't cut it for true background blur), and have better low-light performance, a mirrorless or dSLR will always make a better image all things being equal.

That said, the T2i is an older camera, so modern phones will certainly catch up with its sensor.

Dirk
Old 03-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
chunter
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I just went to Sony a6500 mirrorless from Canon 6D full-frame dSLR. I'll be curious if I use it more in the parks! I think I will.

Phone cameras are getting better, and for many situations in excellent lighting, I'm good with my phone. However, I still appreciate the ability to use different focal lengths, blur background (the software version just doesn't cut it for true background blur), and have better low-light performance, a mirrorless or dSLR will always make a better image all things being equal.

That said, the T2i is an older camera, so modern phones will certainly catch up with its sensor.

Dirk
If a DSLR doesn't have the ability to do HDR, then I don't see how they're going to keep up with these phone cameras. Its the software that makes them so powerful. The ability to take lots of pictures at once, at different exposures, and stitch them together to get the best exposure for everything in the picture. With the exception of having a nice external flash to make up for it.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #7
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
If a DSLR doesn't have the ability to do HDR, then I don't see how they're going to keep up with these phone cameras. Its the software that makes them so powerful. The ability to take lots of pictures at once, at different exposures, and stitch them together to get the best exposure for everything in the picture. With the exception of having a nice external flash to make up for it.
Many camera offers HDR function. New phones can do good job in most conditions but cameras can outperform phones easily if you know how to use them.

Most who takes cameras on trip are camera enthusiasts who like to create different style pix etc.

Trips are only time I get to play with my cameras so yes I still take them, some times too many if I am driving.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:34 PM   #8
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
DSLR's have had HDR function since they came out. They still do better than any phone camera. One difference will be when you start to blow up the picture in size. The other will be certain difficult photo situations usually lighting related. There's no doubt that phone cameras are capable of doing amazing jobs and are wonderful for recording memories because it does very well and it's something you almost always have with you. But a DSLR is capable of doing better - it's just that better won't be required by most people.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
A dSLR or any interchangeable lens (ILC - dSLR or Mirrorless) camera is a different beast, which can do things phones will never be able to do. It all depends on what you want in a camera.

It's funny. When I'm at Disney, I frequently find my phone is good enough, especially when I don't want to carry gear. But then there are more creative shots I want to take, and I simply can't take them with my phone. And when I get home and review my photos taken with my iPhone 8+ (best iPhone camera out there) with my Canon 6D or Sony a6500, the ILCs blow the iPhone away for same shot.

I would never buy an ILC with the idea that it would be a "point and shoot" camera (which phones basically are). Nor would I take a phone to do a job that only an interchangeable camera can do with the right lenses. You have to make your decisions based on what kind of photography you want to do.

Newer ILCs can do panoramas, HDR, etc., because the processors can handle it and users want it, but that's not the purpose of an ILC.

I'm not a camera snob, either. Photographers who understand the tech and physics of photography can push an iPhone to do amazing things, but any photography is still limited to what the gear lets you do (and by their skill!).

Dirk
Old 03-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
DSLR's have had HDR function since they came out. They still do better than any phone camera. One difference will be when you start to blow up the picture in size. The other will be certain difficult photo situations usually lighting related. There's no doubt that phone cameras are capable of doing amazing jobs and are wonderful for recording memories because it does very well and it's something you almost always have with you. But a DSLR is capable of doing better - it's just that better won't be required by most people.
Bingo - a smartphone camera is best for memories and live sharing. For most on a Disney trip, that's all they need. The software add-ons for panoramas, HDR, digitally created background blur, etc., help up the quality of the photo or the flexibility of the phone, but it's never going to be able to pushed as far as an interchangeable lens camera can go.

Dirk