home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #11
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwards View Post
Okay here are three examples. She took these from her iPhone 5. Im imagining this style of photography is what she will be doing most of.
Your daughter has a good eye and would clearly enjoy a better camera than in iPhone (though the 7+ is much better than the ones used for those pics and is super easy to carry around).

I think the Sony a6000 advice is great if your daughter will want to grow into photography. If she wants a great camera for pics but doesn't want to haul gear o make it a true hobby, a better quality point & shoot would suffice.

My experience of a dSLR is that it is a little black box into which one pours money as there are always better lenses, better accessories, better systems. If photography is a big interest to her, then the investment makes sense. If money is tight or she just wants a good, easy to carry camera, a point & shoot makes sense.

Here's a good rundown of review of different classes of cameras with recommendations for different price points.

https://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides

At the end of the day, the Sony a6000 might give you the best bang for the buck if the money is OK. And you might get good holiday deals - check bhphotovideo.com (the mecca for all things camera), Amazon, and warehouse club websites over the next few days.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_digital.html

Dirk
Old 11-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #12
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Your daughter has a good eye and would clearly enjoy a better camera than in iPhone (though the 7+ is much better than the ones used for those pics and is super easy to carry around).

I think the Sony a6000 advice is great if your daughter will want to grow into photography. If she wants a great camera for pics but doesn't want to haul gear o make it a true hobby, a better quality point & shoot would suffice.

My experience of a dSLR is that it is a little black box into which one pours money as there are always better lenses, better accessories, better systems. If photography is a big interest to her, then the investment makes sense. If money is tight or she just wants a good, easy to carry camera, a point & shoot makes sense.

Here's a good rundown of review of different classes of cameras with recommendations for different price points.

At the end of the day, the Sony a6000 might give you the best bang for the buck if the money is OK. And you might get good holiday deals - check bhphotovideo.com (the mecca for all things camera), Amazon, and warehouse club websites over the next few days.

Dirk

I am a big sucker. Got too many gears.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #13
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Great pictures by your daughter, Jean! What am amazing experience for her.

Got to upgrade to 7+. Was supposed to do so in October, but got annoyed when everything was on backorder for over a month.
Thanks, Brian! She has become a world traveler. She went to Junior Worlds in Slovenia last year and a trip to France as well. Layover in Turkey was pretty scary for her mother
jedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #14
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Dirk
THanks so much, Dirk. Your advice is always appreciated and informative!
Old 11-24-2016, 06:18 PM   #15
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
I have full set of lenses and body, full and APSC frame from Canon.

Also have full and APSC body and lenses from Sony.

For kids and with your pix above, your best bang for bucks will be Sony a6000 with 2 kit lenses. It is selling for around $700 from couple different sellers. If you want to add more like flash, I bought from Adorama brand flash for $110, this will give best reach with not much investment.

Off course supplementing this with a good smartphone will be good.
THanks so much! Hey, will I see you at HHI this Christmas?
Old 11-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #16
MichaelK
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Your daughter has a great eye, and seems to do quite well with the 28mm equivalent focal length of the iPhone. If she wants to keep it simple, travel light, and still come away with remarkable images, I'd consider a Rich GR (also 28mm equivalent). It performs well in almost all situations, is a joy to hold and use (unlike the Sonys I've had), and the IQ is amazing. I'd be happy to share some images if you'd like. There are also plenty of reviews online.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:18 AM   #17
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwards View Post
THanks so much! Hey, will I see you at HHI this Christmas?
We will reach 23rd Friday and leaving on 30th. I belive you will be there at the same time. We can get together some day.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #18
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Your daughter has a great eye, and seems to do quite well with the 28mm equivalent focal length of the iPhone. If she wants to keep it simple, travel light, and still come away with remarkable images, I'd consider a Rich GR (also 28mm equivalent). It performs well in almost all situations, is a joy to hold and use (unlike the Sonys I've had), and the IQ is amazing. I'd be happy to share some images if you'd like. There are also plenty of reviews online.
Thanks!
Old 11-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #19
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
We will reach 23rd Friday and leaving on 30th. I belive you will be there at the same time. We can get together some day.
Yes, we will be there the 26th - January 1. We should definitely have an MO meet!
Old 11-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #20
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

In my opinion the camera she uses the most will always be her phone, just because it will always be there. that being said I have both Canon gear and a Sony a6000, for the Canon I have several "L" quality leaves and for the Sony I have Ziess lens, plus a cheaper mid range zoom. Much off this discussion will be above her current price point but once you start down the road with an interchangeable lens you get somewhat locked in because of the expense of changing glass with the body type.

Opinions based on my gear:
The canon is far superior to the Sony in build quality and for action pictures. The lens selection for canon just can't be beat with several fairly fast (f2.8) mid zoom lenses. There are also several companies that will rent high end specialty lens that the ship to you. These cameras will do everything and are systems to build on.

The A6000 is a great travel camera with a growing lens selection but as of now they are weak in the mid to long range quality zoom glass. Since there is not a mirror covering the sensor you do need to be a little more cautious when changing lens as not to get dust on the sensor. I don't do much video by the Sony is supposed to have superior video capability. They do have convertors for the Sony e lens systems that will convert from Nikon or Canon mounts to Sony mounts. I tried one of these for my lenses and it slow the focus to an unacceptable level. I must say that my main Canon lens is a first gen 70-200L 2.8 and I have been told it works better with the Gen 2 lenses. If you go Sony when you start buying add-on glass I would suggest you look at glass that is compatible with the A7 (full frame), that way if she ever decides to move up to a better body her glass can still be used.

My daughter has the top of the point and shoot line Nikon that also takes great pictures that I have trouble matching with my Sony, It is a bit bigger since it is a all in one camera but does a great job at a better price point. The smaller point and shoots are no better than you phone in my opinon.

All are good camera and it just comes down to a few decesions:
1. Action (sport)- If she is going to want to shoot a lot of fast moving subjects The DLSR (Canon or Nikon) and their access to fast lenses win here, at least for now.

2. travel (size) Sony is a clear winner, great lenses are available especial of landscape or cityscape photography.

3. budget - IF $500 is a hard celling then I would look at the top end full feature point and shoots or wait and have her save her money.

I would also consider the extended warranty, especially if she is traveling where it is more likely the camera may take some abuse, especially if you go with the Sony or the point and shoot as neither of these cameras are water sealed.