home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #31
carolina_yankee
Administrator

As others have noted, July can be miserable, unbearable hot. That said, I had an awesome July trip last year, including an open-to-close day over three parks, but we paced ourselves very carefully.

General survival tips: Just spring for some ponchos. Don't argue. Just do! If you are out in the afternoon, you will get drenched. We own 4 Disney ponchos and keep them in our Owner's Locker. We always have a pair with us (2 adults), and leave the used pair to dry on the balcony the next day. We've gotten very good at tightly folding them up like when they are brand new, so they don't take up much space. Also, Disney ponchos are a better material. I loathe the 99 cent Saran Wrap ponchos you can get at Tar-Mart, etc. I don't get as hot in the Disney ponchos because they don't cling as badly.

Should it rain (It will), stay in the parks with your ponchos. The lines will shorten as people leave.

Rope Drop, mid-day-break, evenings in parks is the general strategy, but I agree that is hard for Westcoasters and night-owls. If you keep with your West Coast time, plan your cooler stuff in the PM, such as shows, long attractions, etc. Use your FP planning wisely, also, to avoid long lines in the heat in the afternoon.

Resort monorail shouldn't be bad at all outside of open and close times.

Since mini-golf is an outdoor activity, it will be busier in the cooler parts of the day.

We've had a couple of trips where we did resort mornings followed by afternoons and evening in the parks. The nice thing was that the pools were generally empty in the morning and we did feel relaxed and refreshed for the day.

Just don't underestimate the heat, plan to move slowly when you get hot or tired, bring sunglasses, where a summer straw hat (not a baseball cap!) for shade and ventilation, and stay hydrated.

Crowds will take care of themselves. Disney is always busy these days and if you just wrap your mind around anticipated wait times (check Touring Plans Lines app for its predictions for individual attractions on your date - fairly accurate), use FP+ wisely, and take mini-breaks, you will have fun!

BTW - if you are mini-golf people, go in the morning before a park.

Dirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicAllAroundUs View Post
So, for the first time after about 6 trips to WDW in October/early November, we have little choice but to go to WDW in mid-July with our 5 year old. When I booked, the daily crowd index on touringplans had every place listed between a 5-6 out of 10, but as of a few days ago, most days will be an 8/10.

What exactly does this look like? How much should I start adjusting our plans? I generally make spreadsheets and daily itineraries for every day that I'm there to keep track of dining and non-park activities, and I'm curious how much longer simple tasks might take when the crowd index is high.

For example:
1.) Minigolf + Non-Park Recreation
Heading to Fantasia for minigolf after Epcot closes at around 9:45-10pm. How long would the wait typically be at this time during the summer? Similarly, how long would the wait be for the wagon or pony rides at Fort Wilderness?

2.) Monorail
We are staying at Animal Kingdom Villas for 1 night then moving to Bay Lake Tower + Polynesian. I know the monorail can be a pain at times, but we like to use it for the mid-day transfers to get to brunch spots at the monorail resorts and head to the theme parks at around 1pm or so. There used to be no line/wait at that time of day; how different would it be in the summer?

3.) Dining Reservation Flexibility
Sometimes, we arrive a little bit late/early. We try to be on time, but at Disney and/or with a kid sometimes things come up. Shoelaces come undone, sudden potty breaks need to happen, the monorail stops working mid ride, a ride stops working mid line and delays everything by 20mins, etc. Usually CMs are very accommodating when this happens. Seeing as they may be less about individual care and more about crowd control in July, does this mean they're also less flexible with those who are late for ADRs and FPs?

4.) Late Arrivals
We generally stick to California time, so we wake up at around 10-11am and start with breakfast at a lunch/brunch TS location at 12pm, when we imagine the heat is most unbearable in July. We start our day in the parks at around 1:30pm and stay at the parks until closing or an hour after. Do you think sticking to this will help us or hurt us in the summer?

Is there anything else you regret not doing on your trip to WDW in July? Or anything else you'd like to share about going in the summer?
Old 05-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #32
oufpat
Two Bedroom

If nothing else, stay hydrated! We've been going in July or August the last several years and last July was the first time I actually saw guests being treated by medics for "heat stroke" in both EPCOT and HS.
oufpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #33
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

We have been going every summer since 06. It is hot, but ironically these last few years do not seem as hot as the first few year. some tips
1. stay hydrated drink plenty of water
2. purchase those minifans with water spray bottles
3. either choose to do rope drop or stay to park close - since you are from CA, I would sleep late, go to the pool, nap, then head to the park and stay until they close (park open and close have least lines)
4. Plan dinners near parks you plan to end the night
5. Plan for afternoon thunderstorms -ponchos or raingear.
6.Sunscreen
7. If kids are small purchase a stroller from wallmart - that way you have your own, either take uber there or rent a car-it is better than renting a stroller from the parks) We always did this and would leave the stroller behind when we checked out.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #34
kaedeesmom
Two Bedroom

We're on Mountain Standard Time, so usually do the "wake up late, stay up late" schedule. When we went in mid-July 2016, we desperately wanted to break that pattern and do the smart thing: go early, nap midday, go back out, and stay up late. I had a beautiful schedule in Excel - with plenty of sleep time every day - that supported this approach.

We could not pull it off. We got to parks early, but left too late to get back for a midday nap...then got cranky....really cranky. We missed FPs because we were running late. We overslept because we were too exhausted from the heat and staying up late the night before. We never did make a single rope drop.

Once we embraced a non-commando night owl schedule, we were pretty darn happy. We banned all rushing - too hot. We slept in very late and ate "breakfast" at lunch time. We did resort activities or FPs in the afternoon, then stayed in the park until close. It's not our first choice of seasons, but we'd do it again.

I agree with Dirk about the Disney ponchos - they're sturdy, afternoon showers are very common, and ride lines get really short when everyone else is cowering under shelter. Your shoes will probably get very wet in the runoff. One lesson we learned is that the frequent afternoon showers shut down the pools and boat transportation, so plan accordingly.

Last edited by kaedeesmom; 05-15-2018 at 09:12 PM.
kaedeesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #35
JaneBanks
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by oufpat View Post
If nothing else, stay hydrated! We've been going in July or August the last several years and last July was the first time I actually saw guests being treated by medics for "heat stroke" in both EPCOT and HS.
Last July I got so heat sick, I was stuck in the room for two days recovering.
I drink water frequently, try to take it easy because of the heat, but last summer it kicked my ass.
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #36
Commish
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaedeesmom View Post
One lesson we learned is that the frequent afternoon showers shut down the pools and boat transportation, so plan accordingly.
I had been wondering why I was down on BCV as my trip last summer just wasn't as great as some of our other stays. This post reminded me why - every afternoon the pools were closed - full week at BCV and didn't get to enjoy SB (when the pools close you see a steady flow of people in bathing suits heading through the BC lobby)

This trip I plan on going to the BWV pool right after lunch - and once the thunderstorms start NAP
Old 05-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #37
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
I had been wondering why I was down on BCV as my trip last summer just wasn't as great as some of our other stays. This post reminded me why - every afternoon the pools were closed - full week at BCV and didn't get to enjoy SB (when the pools close you see a steady flow of people in bathing suits heading through the BC lobby)

Indeed. Best time to sit in the lobby and relax for a while...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:51 PM   #38
ccsmith312
Two Bedroom

I say every year that we aren't going back in the summer. My need for Disney always wins out though and we've been the last two summers and have another trip planned this July.

It is ridiculously hot in July. And humid. We know that we will be soaked in sweat by the end of the day and plan accordingly. My DH no longer travels with us in the summer. I think you really have to love WDW to enjoy it in the blazing heat.

We do as others have said, hit RD and then back to pool or room for nap. It's totally doable as long as you manage expectations. I'm happy to do a few hours in the parks in the morning, then pool and have a nice dinner out in an air conditioned restaurant. That's a good day to me even when it's 100 degrees out.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:06 PM   #39
reblzmom
Grand Villa

A couple of years we had no choice but to go in August. Once the guys decided on early morning golf. My older son brought along a cheapo wallet. Well, it was so hot the dye bled off the wallet through his shorts. Even early in the morning it was so humid they were all soaked through.