home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #21
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJourneys View Post
Since Disney owns Marvel they can do whatever they like, the only exception being that because of the 1994 contract between Marvel and Universal, Disney cannot use any characters from The Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man, and Fantastic Four in Orlando. So they are allowed to build the Guardians of the Galaxy ride in Epcot because that is a separate “family”. And in California, Disney can use whoever they like, including Spiderman, Hulk, and so on.
Well the crossover between Aventers and Guardians along with the not so clear definition of what a family is could lead to an expensive court battle if both sides didn't already work out a deal. They say that anything even used in marketing by Unversal or someone in that "family" is a no go, and since Marvel stuck iron man in the Guardians comics decades after the first Avengers/Guardians crossover, it's not so cut and dry. Black Panther interestingly enough if definitely a nono for WDW as he is a one time member of the Avengers.

For the Marvel name, I take this clause to mean that no other park is supposed to use the brand name even if they are allowed to use the characters:

iii. East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #22
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Bugs Land was great for little kids. My kids adored being in the section of the park when they were little. Although I don't have small kids anymore, from a parent standpoint is sure is nice to have a place to go with your kids so they can ride and play on the splash pad. I think this is a sad loss for young kids. Heimlich’s Chew Chew Train was a must do ride for my family! We still joke to this day about the carrots..."they say carrots are good for your eyes, but I don't want to put them in my eyes, I want to eat them!" Although the last time I rode the train I think they removed that joke.

I didn't notice in the article (it probably said) when will Bugs Land close? I think I need one last ride on Heimlich’s Chew Chew Train if I get the opportunity.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #23
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
iii. East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing
It just affects FL/WDW and only certain characters there.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #24
Adelard of Bath
One Bedroom

I just found out about Bug's Land closing recently, so I'm a little behind...but just want to say how sad I am about it! Loved Heimlich's Chew Chew Train, Flik's Flyers, and the whole vibe of the area. Just this "secret garden" area with cute laid back things and a neat theme. Reminds me a little of Camp Snoopy a bit. (haven't been to camp snoopy in like 20 years so pardon if it's changed.) Like others, I'm totally not into the whole comic book movie scene, but I understand it's big money and I'm part of a minority.

Unfortunately not any options for a quick trip out to California this summer...oh well I'd probably just be sad riding Heimlich et al. anyway.
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #25
The.disney.couple
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Bugs Land was great for little kids. My kids adored being in the section of the park when they were little. Although I don't have small kids anymore, from a parent standpoint is sure is nice to have a place to go with your kids so they can ride and play on the splash pad. I think this is a sad loss for young kids. Heimlich’s Chew Chew Train was a must do ride for my family! We still joke to this day about the carrots..."they say carrots are good for your eyes, but I don't want to put them in my eyes, I want to eat them!" Although the last time I rode the train I think they removed that joke.

I didn't notice in the article (it probably said) when will Bugs Land close? I think I need one last ride on Heimlich’s Chew Chew Train if I get the opportunity.
The last I heard was "Late 2018" with Marvel Land slated for 2020

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote