home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #11
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi from RI View Post
It is good as a new AP holder...but opens the door for people to have others use their band that aren't AP...
The story states that the AP holder must have an active Disney-resort (no off-property) reservation while using this feature. So while others could use another's MagicBand, the discount would only work during the AP holder's resort stay.

and MNSSHP!

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #12
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
The story states that the AP holder must have an active Disney-resort (no off-property) reservation while using this feature. So while others could use another's MagicBand, the discount would only work during the AP holder's resort stay.
And the purchase has to be charged to the passholders room account to get the discount.

JaxFLBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #13
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

It about time!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #14
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
So, how long will it be before someone adds their friend who has an AP onto their room as an additional guest and then uses that band for the discounts. I'm not sure how rampant an issue it would be, but it seems a pretty easy workaround!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
And the purchase has to be charged to the passholders room account to get the discount.
This is the small hiccup for me. Perhaps it is better now, but I actually gave up on using our MB for TS dining because it was such a hassle when I did it a couple years ago. I found that cc's simply flowed much more easily. If they are tying room charging the the discount through the app (which I totally understand), I hope they have made that process a lot simpler overall.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:24 PM   #15
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
So, how long will it be before someone adds their friend who has an AP onto their room as an additional guest and then uses that band for the discounts. I'm not sure how rampant an issue it would be, but it seems a pretty easy workaround!
It’s no different than my wife and I (who both have AP) using our MagicBands. Once the resort reservation ends, so does the discount.
It’s not like you can give your band to someone on the way out and they’ll be able to keep the discounts going...

and MNSSHP!

Old 11-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #16
disneyteach
Two Bedroom

So glad this is starting, and hopeful they will add DVC discounts in the near future. I forget to carry my AP card, especially when going to a resort QS. At Poly over the summer I told the CM that I forgot my card and she gave me the discount anyways. At the Contemporary last month I said I always forget my card and the CM said she can't give me the discount because there were cameras watching her. Oh well...just glad it's starting now!
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #17
bakerworld
Grand Villa

So half the bill is discounted with the auto 18% tip with food discounted but not auto tipped. Oh boy ...
Old 11-21-2017, 07:45 PM   #18
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
It’s no different than my wife and I (who both have AP) using our MagicBands. Once the resort reservation ends, so does the discount.
It’s not like you can give your band to someone on the way out and they’ll be able to keep the discounts going...
The difference is that in current practice, when you leave, no one can claim to be you because an ID is required. With this new setup, if you send your MB down with a friend, who has added you as a third guest in his/her room, that friend could use his/her MB to make purchases throughout the trip, receive the discount, and have the charges put on his/her card at the end of the trip. You would never have to be there at all. It would not be difficult for me to send my MB to any friend who is going and have them do that.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #19
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
The difference is that in current practice, when you leave, no one can claim to be you because an ID is required. With this new setup, if you send your MB down with a friend, who has added you as a third guest in his/her room, that friend could use his/her MB to make purchases throughout the trip, receive the discount, and have the charges put on his/her card at the end of the trip. You would never have to be there at all. It would not be difficult for me to send my MB to any friend who is going and have them do that.
I guess I still don’t understand the problem. What’s the difference if your MB is used by you on your reservation, or your friend on “your reservation”? As long as you’re both not using it at the exact same time, Disney’s not losing any extra money. It’s still a resort guest using an AP.

and MNSSHP!

Old 11-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #20
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I guess I still don’t understand the problem. What’s the difference if your MB is used by you on your reservation, or your friend on “your reservation”? As long as you’re both not using it at the exact same time, Disney’s not losing any extra money. It’s still a resort guest using an AP.
If the friend is not an AP holder and they AP holder is not there too, then yes, Disney is not making as much money on the sale as they otherwise would.