home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > "Mick"-boxing (a.k.a. The Exercise Forum)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #11
mikemax32
Two Bedroom

Default "Breaking" News Update

I couldn't avoid the pun and foreshadowing in the title

Our last training runs were the weekend before Christmas. We did 10 miles on Saturday and 20 miles on Sunday. We took a couple days off, then ran our traditional Christmas Day 5k around the neighborhood. As JenMax got to the end of our street, she looked down to stop her run on her watch, slipped on black ice, and broke her leg in two places

Bad news, no race for her this year.
Good news, we still get to celebrate her birthday and our 15th anniversary at WDW.

We've been trying hard to focus on the big picture and all the positives. She's in a walking boot now, should heal in 6 weeks, and be back running in early March. She's determined that we're going to complete the Dopey Challenge, so we'll be training for the 2021 race.

M.O.D. # 95 ~ AKA The Road from CT to WDW
2013 MO "Classic" Mountain FFL Champion
mikemax32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #12
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemax32 View Post

Good news, we still get to celebrate her birthday and our 15th anniversary at WDW..
Give our best to JenMax for a speedy recovery and do her proud in the challenge!

Cheers.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:52 PM   #13
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I couldn't avoid the pun and foreshadowing in the title

Our last training runs were the weekend before Christmas. We did 10 miles on Saturday and 20 miles on Sunday. We took a couple days off, then ran our traditional Christmas Day 5k around the neighborhood. As JenMax got to the end of our street, she looked down to stop her run on her watch, slipped on black ice, and broke her leg in two places

Good news, we still get to celebrate her birthday and our 15th anniversary at WDW.

We've been trying hard to focus on the big picture and all the positives. She's in a walking boot now, should heal in 6 weeks, and be back running in early March. She's determined that we're going to complete the Dopey Challenge, so we'll be training for the 2021 race.

Oh no! Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #14
mikemax32
Two Bedroom

Default Short story

The short story is that the weekend was fantastic, despite the oppressive heat and humidity. The first two races went better than planned, the first 10 miles of the half went just as planned, then a little slower b/c the humidity caught up to me.
The marathon was basically survival mode. After 22+ miles over 3 days and another day of heat and humidity, I went with plan C, which was run 10 miles, walk/run until that gets to be too much, then walk. It was really, really humid - kind of like running while having a wet blanket wrapped around you and having to breathe through it. But, can't do anything about the weather except tweak the plan, which worked and I finished.
Disney did a great job organizing everything. I have zero complaints and only suggestions for mild improvements. In the pixie dust department, Jen was able to get ChEAR Squad for the 1/2 and full, which gave her a much needed guaranteed seat, shade, liquids, and dedicated restrooms. Mary from Run Disney was fantastic helping Jen out.
I'll post more later, and if we can figure out how, we'll post pictures, too.

M.O.D. # 95 ~ AKA The Road from CT to WDW
2013 MO "Classic" Mountain FFL Champion
mikemax32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:46 PM   #15
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
The short story is that the weekend was fantastic, despite the oppressive heat and humidity. The first two races went better than planned, the first 10 miles of the half went just as planned, then a little slower b/c the humidity caught up to me.
The marathon was basically survival mode. After 22+ miles over 3 days and another day of heat and humidity, I went with plan C, which was run 10 miles, walk/run until that gets to be too much, then walk. It was really, really humid - kind of like running while having a wet blanket wrapped around you and having to breathe through it. But, can't do anything about the weather except tweak the plan, which worked and I finished.
Disney did a great job organizing everything. I have zero complaints and only suggestions for mild improvements. In the pixie dust department, Jen was able to get ChEAR Squad for the 1/2 and full, which gave her a much needed guaranteed seat, shade, liquids, and dedicated restrooms. Mary from Run Disney was fantastic helping Jen out.

Congratulations! Glad all went well.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:16 AM   #16
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:

Congrats on completing the races....looking forward to seeing your photos!
Old 01-15-2020, 09:38 AM   #17
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Quote:

Congrats on finishing!

Our daughter Did the dopey and was through before they shortened the course and closed the Blizzard Beach loop. That was probably the right decision on Disney’s part, I have never seen so many runners with Ice bags on the course before.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:46 PM   #18
brp
Add-on Aficionado

It is currently a half and full marathon. What did they shorten it from? I think that may be unlikely, but perhaps they changed the course keeping the length the same. Ice packs at races of any distance is not at all uncommon.

Cheers.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #19
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
It is currently a half and full marathon. What did they shorten it from? I think that may be unlikely, but perhaps they changed the course keeping the length the same. Ice packs at races of any distance is not at all uncommon.

Cheers.
Just to be sure we are the same page; the Dopey is the 5,10,1/2 and full, the Goofy is the 1/2 and Full.

On Sunday for the full marathon some time after the start towards the later part of the race the out and back section that took the runners to Blizzard Beach was removed from the course. It was announce on the PA and on the Run Disney web site. This shorten the course by about a mile or so and the runners who finished after the course was shorten still received a time and a medal. Our daughter started in the F corral and ran the BB loop. I'm not sure what they did with the Balloon ladies or how they enforced the pace limits. We saw several runners running in the parking lot post race to account for the missing distance.

This is the third Dopey for our daughter and we have been spectators for all of them, yes ice bags are common but I still had not seen as as many as we saw on Sunday. I would say roughly 1/2 the runners had bags of Ice on their heads or necks. It may have been that we were closer to a medical tent than usual but there was definitely more than we have seen in the past.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:41 PM   #20
Rozzie
Grand Villa

Another Dopey survivor here. I can be a witness to the brutal conditions for the Full on Sunday. I was fortunate enough to be in "A" corral and finished up before the true blazing heat began. Had some friends stuck in back corrals that really had it rough. That's the thing with these MASSIVE Run Disney races---some corrals start up to an hour after the starting gun. That makes for even tougher conditions on a hard day.

I think shortening the marathon course was the only logical decision as the heat built up for the late starters.

My best wishes to JenMax for a speedy recovery. What terrible luck but look forward to hearing about her great race next year.
Rozzie is online now   Reply With Quote