home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #11
FCivish3
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
and you don't have to store DVC anywhere. My brother actually pays to have a place to park his $100k winnebago...

But, he does use it a lot more than 5 days a year.
Yes, $100 a month on up is a is typical price for trailer storage fees around here. I avoided that because I had room by the side of my house and put in thousands of dollars worth of concrete. More expenses. Of course.

I am just joking when I was talking about renting out the trailer or turning it in in 25 yesrs for more than I payed for it. But you CAN do that with DVC.

I just want people to see what DVC is really worth. DVC is expensive but it saves money for sure. IF you like to vacation at Disney. And otherwise, just rent it out!
FCivish3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #12
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCivish3 View Post
DVC is expensive but it saves money for sure.
Expensive is relative. It's certainly more expensive that staying at home. But compared to other vacations? For example, we pay about $110/night for a studio on the Boardwalk. Eating can be done quite inexpensively without a lot of effort. Park tickets are really the only pricey item. But, if one vacationed elsewhere, hotel is likely more, and there are still charges for things to do.

Frankly, I don't find Disney that much more expensive than most other vacations.

Cheers.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #13
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

buy a 150 point contract where you want to stay RESALE. it aint that big a deal.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:43 PM   #14
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

I agree with everything said.

If you feel you got a good deal, it’s a good deal.

My parents had a RV and snowbirded at Fort Wilderness for 15 years. All good!

We purchased DVC, all good!

No looking back, no second guessing. All good.

It’s all about timing.

So, yes it’s worth it.
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #15
bobbafett
Grand Villa

I was going to respond to the title. But it looks like you already answered your own question.

Dvc is definitely not scary. Your pre paying for your room in a deluxe hotel.

If you plan on going to Disney for many years and will be staying in deluxe rooms. Dvc makes total sense.
I already broke even and have already saved in staying with points from buying akl in 2008.

Also a camper is certainly not a good comparison but I understand your logic behind the argument
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17.

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #16
ajc
Grand Villa

My DH wanted to buy a travel trailer but we can't even drive out the driveway without an argument (turn left- you aren't going to work now).
Add on that I only have 15 days vacation per year and I don't want to spend it driving and working on a "vacation" via packing , cooking, cleaning up...).
Yeah, DVC suits us well!

Last edited by ajc; 07-08-2018 at 08:53 AM.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #17
bobbafett
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
My DH wanted to buy a travel trailer but we can't even drive out the driveway without an argument (turn left- you aren't going to work now).
Add on that I only have 15 days vacation per year and I don't want to spend it driving and working on a "vacation" va packing , cooking, cleaning up...).
Yeah, DVC suits us well!
Only 15.
In my business we get zero. 5 if your lucky.
Any more time off and you don't get paid or get replaced..
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17.

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #18
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

We have both....DVC and RV! It was a part of negotiations with hubby. 🙂 He wanted to move to Michigan during our empty nester days and I just can't fathom any more long winters so we just bought a 33 ft travel trailer. We will still use DVC for our vacation and my annual Me, Mom and Sister trip, but now I just made my 3 week reservation at Ft. Wilderness in January to break up the winter. Best of both worlds!
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #19
The.disney.couple
Studio

Worth it for sure! If you your going to use it then your just pre paying for vacations until you break even. For us it was a no brainer. Our break even if we paid cash was 6 years or 6 vacations or 9 years/ 9 vacations if financing. The secret is out and I think that's why we see prices going up at a quick rate.

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #20
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

In my opinion, DVC direct only makes sense if:
  • You occasionally do enough trips to justify annual passes. As in once every 2-3 years. Any less than that and the extra cost probably won't be recovered.
  • You can actually attend moonlight magic events (let alone successfully register for them)
  • You will go to Disneyland enough to where the discounts will add up (it seems DL/DCA offer DVC discount a lot more QSR dining than WDW)

Obviously if you want to own at a new resort you have a third reason, and the price might not be much different than resale.

Obviously to each their own, and I understand how nice it is to get points IMMEDIATELY, but the perks are only valuable if you can use them. The less points you own, the less you are probably using those perks.

My DVC homes: BLT, BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote