home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
FCivish3
Studio

Default DVC is Scary Expensive, but is it Worth It?

To figure out the value of DVC, here is something I compare to DVC.

My wife bought us a 30 foot travel trailer for about $28,000. Let’s say we use it once a year for about five days. Yeah, free vacation. Of course there are some maintenance fees. And upkeep. And driving it anywhere is expensive because I get 6 1/2 miles per gallon when pulling it. Driving to Yellowstone or other National Parks is expensive. But let’s assume that if I only use it for five days of vacation per year, then there are other days that I could ‘rent it out.’ And by renting it out, BESIDES my own 5 days of vacation, I could earn $1,100. Now, suppose that after a few years I got tired of ‘trailer’ vacations and decided I didn’t want to take them anymore. So, instead of using some of my days and renting some of my days, I rented them all out. Well, now I could get paid around $2,250 per year, to NOT take my vacation. But, wait. I do this every year for 25 years (taking some vacations and earning an additional $25,000 to $50,000 in the process, and THEN I decide I am tired of it and I want my money back. So, I take the trailer to the dealer and give him the trailer and ask for my money back. He says, “Oh, okay. Thank you. The trailer is worth more now than it was when you bought it. So, here is $45,000 back. Have fun.”

Well, that is kind of how it is with DVC. If you bought 150 points at Copper Creek (Direct from Disney) for $182 a point, then it would cost you $27,300. You would have to pay Maintenance Fees of about $1000 a year, BUT, I just spent 5 days in Pop Century and with ‘Room Tax’ the room cost me $1,150. (There is no room tax on DVC nights). For about the same cost in Maintenance Fees, you could stay 5 days at Copper Creek in October for 77 points. And it is MUCH nicer than Pop Century. Then you could rent out your remaining 73 points. The 73 points would bring in about $1,100. You could use that for vacation or use it to pay maintenance fees or use it to defray the initial purchase cost. If you rented out ALL of your 150 points, you would get about $2,250. AND, when you sell it 25 years down the road, it will probably be worth significantly more than $45,000. So, I think that is a heck of a lot better deal than buying a stupid travel trailer. I wish I had the money back that we spent on our nice shiny trailer, that mostly just sits by the side of my house.
FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCivish3 View Post

My wife bought us a 30 foot travel trailer for about $28,000. Let’s say we use it once a year for about five days. Yeah, free vacation. Of course there are some maintenance fees. And upkeep. And driving it anywhere is expensive because I get 6 1/2 miles per gallon when pulling it. Driving to Yellowstone or other National Parks is expensive. But let’s assume that if I only use it for five days of vacation per year, then there are other days that I could ‘rent it out.’ And by renting it out, BESIDES my own 5 days of vacation, I could earn $1,100. Now, suppose that after a few years I got tired of ‘trailer’ vacations and decided I didn’t want to take them anymore. So, instead of using some of my days and renting some of my days, I rented them all out. Well, now I could get paid around $2,250 per year, to NOT take my vacation. But, wait. I do this every year for 25 years (taking some vacations and earning an additional $25,000 to $50,000 in the process, and THEN I decide I am tired of it and I want my money back. So, I take the trailer to the dealer and give him the trailer and ask for my money back. He says, “Oh, okay. Thank you. The trailer is worth more now than it was when you bought it. So, here is $45,000 back. Have fun.”

Well, that is kind of how it is with DVC. If you bought 150 points at Copper Creek (Direct from Disney) for $182 a point, then it would cost you $27,300. You would have to pay Maintenance Fees of about $1000 a year, BUT, I just spent 5 days in Pop Century and with ‘Room Tax’ the room cost me $1,150. (There is no room tax on DVC nights). For about the same cost in Maintenance Fees, you could stay 5 days at Copper Creek in October for 77 points. And it is MUCH nicer than Pop Century. Then you could rent out your remaining 73 points. The 73 points would bring in about $1,100. You could use that for vacation or use it to pay maintenance fees or use it to defray the initial purchase cost. If you rented out ALL of your 150 points, you would get about $2,250. AND, when you sell it 25 years down the road, it will probably be worth significantly more than $45,000. So, I think that is a heck of a lot better deal than buying a stupid travel trailer. I wish I had the money back that we spent on our nice shiny trailer, that mostly just sits by the side of my house.
I’d like to meet the dealer who gives you more for a 25 year old trailer than you paid for it (especially after renting it out to people who don’t take care of things they don’t own)...

NOV 2005 Grand Floridian (cash) - engagement!
FEB 2007 Port Orleans Riverside (cash)
APR 2009 Polynesian (cash)
JUN 2011 Contemporary (cash)
OCT 2011 Contemporary (cash) - MNSSHP
! New DVC Owners !
OCT 2013 BLT/VGF opening day
MAY 2014 BLT
OCT 2014 BLT - MNSSHP
MAY 2016 AKV - MK After-Hours
AUG 2016 VGF
OCT 2016 BLT -MNSSHP
APR 2017 OKW
OCT 2017 VGF - MNSSHP
DEC 2017 BLT
APR 2018 Coronado Springs (cash)
SEP 2018 BCV
OCT 2018 CCV -MNSSHP

Mass Transit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

and you don't have to store DVC anywhere. My brother actually pays to have a place to park his $100k winnebago...

But, he does use it a lot more than 5 days a year.
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Can’t say this about most timeshares, but your travel trailer will depreciate over time where your DVC timeshare should remain equal if not increase some over time. So far, this has been the case. Not to mention the vacation savings over time ( albeit at least 12 years now to break even) and rental income.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

Sorry to hear that.
Friends of ours recently bought a new trailer too, something like 25 feet. They dragged it all the way to WDW and stayed at Ft. Wilderness. Meanwhile, we flew out of Providence and met them and we stayed at BRV. Given those two trips I'd choose ours every time.
I also learned from them that travel trailers depreciate even worse than cars. They lose about half their value in the first year.
Again, sorry to hear that.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

I'm probably in the minority, but after deciding to purchase DVC, I've never worried about the cost or tried to justify the expense. I could afford it, I wanted it, and I bought it. Now I just sit back and enjoy it! I will say that DVC is one of my few true "splurges", so it's not like I make those types of purchases everyday. Most of the time I'm pretty practical. The rest of the time, I'm a Disney addict!
Old 07-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
avsheffi
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but after deciding to purchase DVC, I've never worried about the cost or tried to justify the expense. I could afford it, I wanted it, and I bought it. Now I just sit back and enjoy it! I will say that DVC is one of my few true "splurges", so it's not like I make those types of purchases everyday. Most of the time I'm pretty practical. The rest of the time, I'm a Disney addict!
This is us exactly! We’ve purchased four contracts and are working on our fifth. We have never looked back! My only regret is selling our 100 point SSR that we purchased in 2011 for $56 pp. Even though ended up getting $105 for them 7 years later, I wish we still had them.

avsheffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Not expecting to get my money back when I sell, either. If I do, then lucky for me. If I don't, then I have the memories.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #9
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCivish3 View Post

My wife bought us a 30 foot travel trailer for about $28,000. Let’s say we use it once a year for about five days. Yeah, free vacation. Of course there are some maintenance fees. And upkeep. And driving it anywhere is expensive because I get 6 1/2 miles per gallon when pulling it. Driving to Yellowstone or other National Parks is expensive.

So, I think that is a heck of a lot better deal than buying a stupid travel trailer. I wish I had the money back that we spent on our nice shiny trailer, that mostly just sits by the side of my house.
I feel your pain. Been there, done that. It's still happening here.

And we our DVC!!

Quote:
What she said.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

Quote:
I'm with you! Having DVC just makes us happy and provides us with entertainment in many ways. I'm retired, although I did retire young, and now life is about family and fun... in other words Disney.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote