home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
rbird8
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Questions from a potential owner

Hi everyone! My wife and I (along with our 3 kids) love Disney and have been looking into DVC as something we might want to get into. We often come up with excuses not to take vacations, and I think this might help "force" us to take a trip (whether we go to WDW, or rent out the points and use the cash for a different trip).

At the moment, we are talking about a small (100 points or even less) resale buy in to OKW, simply for the low cost of entry and to get our feet wet. We will only pay cash, so the less expensive the contract, the sooner we will be able to move forward. We also considered SSR, but we need room for 5, at least for the first few years until our oldest has left the nest, and a 2-bedroom seems cost prohibitive for us at present. So on to the questions:

1. Because of our Disney preferences (we find summer there miserable) and our kids still being in school, I would guess we would mostly visit in January, or possibly February. Would this indicate that a February UY is our best bet? Or does this really matter much?

2. Obviously 100 points (or less) is not a lot. We would be interested in adding on within a few years, possibly direct to get those benefits. Is it difficult to get direct points at OKW? What is the minimum direct purchase to add on, and does that amount get you the full direct member benefits? Are direct add-on points for OKW always good through 2057? Should we add on elsewhere instead, and if so should the UY be the same?

3. Is it worth hunting down an extended contract for OKW? I've seen a few available, and didn't notice that there was always a huge price difference.

4. Are there other resorts we should be looking at besides OKW? Our two criteria are low(ish) cost of entry and easy ability to sleep 5 people. We aren't interested in VB because we would not ever stay there.

Thanks for any responses and input. I've read a bit but still feel like I need advice from the experts!

Last edited by rbird8; 07-06-2018 at 10:26 AM.
rbird8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Joeli
Studio

I thought this link might help you a bit in regards to buying direct at OKW.

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pr...g-a-promotions

Also, as an FYI we originally purchased points at SSR and there are 4 of us. As you can see from my signature below, we have never stayed at SSR. With the exception of Poly (and the Swan of course), we have ALWAYS stayed at a 1BR. A lot depends on the amount of days you want to be spending at WDW to get the best use out of your points. There are also Studio rooms at some of the properties that DO sleep 5.

Upcoming:
Mar 2019 - BWV
Jan 2019 - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea
Nov 2018 - Swan
Sept 2018 - BWV/AKV (Kidani)
Aug 2018 - Hilton Bonnet Creek

Done:
June 2018 - Swan x 2
May 2018 - BLT
Jan 2018 - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea
Oct 2017 - BRV
May 2017 - BLT
Jan 2017 - VGF
May 2016 - BRV/BWV
Feb 2016 - PVB
Sept 2015 - BCV
2014/2015 - AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)
Joeli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
rbird8

That's a great resource. It shows a 50 point minimum for new members and 25 for current members. If we buy resale at first, does that qualify us as current members? I could easily see adding 25 points at a time.

It's very interesting because I thought I read that 100 was the minimum direct purchase for new members.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

1. Because of our Disney preferences (we find summer there miserable) and our kids still being in school, I would guess we would mostly visit in January, or possibly February. Would this indicate that a February UY is our best bet? ***I am not a use year expert but I would think an October use year would be better because if you have a trip planned in February and have to cancel it, you have more time in your use year to use up the points. If your trip is in February and you have to cancel , you have no time to use the points in a different way.

2. Obviously 100 points (or less) is not a lot. We would be interested in adding on within a few years, possibly direct to get those benefits. Is it difficult to get direct points at OKW? What is the minimum direct purchase to add on, and does that amount get you the full direct member benefits? Are direct add-on points for OKW always good through 2057? Should we add on elsewhere instead, and if so should the UY be the same? ***I just want to add in my opinion about direct points. We bought SSR direct in 2008 and it was a good deal at the time. The current price of direct points is so high that I would not consider a direct purchase personally. There are some perks and discounts but to me it is not worth paying the high price of direct points just to get those perks. Plus , perks change over time and what is offered right now, can and probably will change later…

3. Is it worth hunting down an extended contract for OKW? I've seen a few available, and didn't notice that there was always a huge price difference. ***An expended contract may cost you more but you get more life on your contract so it is probably worth it. SSR is also a good option…..dues are not too high and the point charts are very reasonable. SSR will get a refurb next year and I like that Disney Springs has now been updated and SSR is so close

4. Are there other resorts we should be looking at besides OKW? Our two criteria are low(ish) cost of entry and easy ability to sleep 5 people. We aren't interested in VB because we would not ever stay there. ***as mentioned above, definitely look into SSR and possibly even Boardwalk. Poly and GR both sleep 5 in a studio but for just a few more points per might you can have a one bedroom at SSR or OKW or BW and have more space and a full kitchen. Also, as you are looking remember to ask about the dues per point at each resort since some are higher than others

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS21 DD15

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #5
SAMAYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbird8 View Post
3. Is it worth hunting down an extended contract for OKW? I've seen a few available, and didn't notice that there was always a huge price difference.
I would say yes as the price difference today is no where near to the original $25 per point offer to extend for a further 15-years or the later option of $15 per point to extend.

Just need to consider that in 15-years time there will only be 9-years left on a 2042 deeded contract whereas a 2057 contract will still have 26-years remaining.

Good luck on becoming a DVC member soon and hope you can find an extended OKW contract.
SAMAYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
That's a great resource. It shows a 50 point minimum for new members and 25 for current members. If we buy resale at first, does that qualify us as current members? I could easily see adding 25 points at a time.

It's very interesting because I thought I read that 100 was the minimum direct purchase for new members.
I think that's some non-updated information as the rules were changed a few months ago. I'm seeing 100-point minimum for new members and 50 for existing members who either bought direct or resale (although some have been able to add-on only 25 points).
In order to receive member benefits, you must maintain at least 75 points direct from DVC. Your resale contract points don't count towards them.

Order the informational DVD or download it and then speak to a Guide.

and MNSSHP!

NOV 2005 Grand Floridian (cash) - engagement!
FEB 2007 Port Orleans Riverside (cash)
APR 2009 Polynesian (cash)
JUN 2011 Contemporary (cash)
OCT 2011 Contemporary (cash) - MNSSHP
! New DVC Owners !
OCT 2013 BLT/VGF opening day
MAY 2014 BLT
OCT 2014 BLT - MNSSHP
MAY 2016 AKV - MK After-Hours
AUG 2016 VGF
OCT 2016 BLT -MNSSHP
APR 2017 OKW
OCT 2017 VGF - MNSSHP
DEC 2017 BLT
APR 2018 Coronado Springs (cash)
SEP 2018 BCV
OCT 2018 CCV -MNSSHP

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

A couple of random things to learn from me:

If you are fortunate to be able to afford buying into DVC, and are close enough/have enough cash to go more than once a year really consider a slightly larger contract to start. I started in late 2013 with 150 BRV, and now have a lot more than that across a total of 5 resorts.

You say you may add on direct later to earn perks, but you really need to determine if the cost of those direct points is worth the perks you can use. Remember this about the perks:
  • Annual passes are (usually) only worth it if you can go for a at least two 3-5 day trips in a calendar year (or several really small trips)
  • A Disney Visa can get you a merchandise discount
  • Moonlight Magic events that happen while school is in session may not be easy to attend, and are a bit hard to score a spot for on top of that
  • The Epcot lounge is cool, but is it worth direct prices to get soda, snacks, air conditioning, and charging phones?

BUY WHERE YOU ARE HAPPY STAYING. You may think you know when you want to go right now, and scoring a reservation for those days may seem easy, but what if it isn't? What about holidays? Spring break? Cheaper rooms like AKV value/BWV standard/BLT standard? If you are happy staying at OKW that is great, but if it isn't your first choice you may want to look elsewhere. We only live once, and not staying where you wanted for a once in a lifetime anniversary/NYE/wedding/whatever trip can easily bother you for years to come.

I originally bought BRV because it was the cheap choice for a resort that had dedicated theme park access. No it isn't on the Boardwalk or the monorail, but if you like MK it isn't a bad choice at all (which is likely why CCV is selling so well). AKV is a bit cheaper but it is far away from everything, which is a deal killer for some.

My DVC homes: BLT, BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
rbird8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers View Post
***I am not a use year expert but I would think an October use year would be better because if you have a trip planned in February and have to cancel it, you have more time in your use year to use up the points. If your trip is in February and you have to cancel , you have no time to use the points in a different way.
This is a good point, I think I was fixated on counting back 11 months to make a reservation, and thinking that was when I needed the points by. I do realize that as long as the points are available at time of stay, we would be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers View Post
***An expended contract may cost you more but you get more life on your contract so it is probably worth it. SSR is also a good option…..dues are not too high and the point charts are very reasonable. SSR will get a refurb next year and I like that Disney Springs has now been updated and SSR is so close
We like the looks of SSR, but both Studio and 1-BR only sleep 4. That doesn’t work for us at the moment, and I think that even though we have the option to stay at many different places, our “default” needs to be a place that suits our family.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #9
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
1. Because of our Disney preferences (we find summer there miserable) and our kids still being in school, I would guess we would mostly visit in January, or possibly February. Would this indicate that a February UY is our best bet? Or does this really matter much?
UY really does not impact as much as you think. Many will tell you to get a UY 4 months before you plan to travel most since if you have to cancel your points will not go into holding.

Quote:
2. Obviously 100 points (or less) is not a lot. We would be interested in adding on within a few years, possibly direct to get those benefits. Is it difficult to get direct points at OKW? What is the minimum direct purchase to add on, and does that amount get you the full direct member benefits? Are direct add-on points for OKW always good through 2057? Should we add on elsewhere instead, and if so should the UY be the same?
I am guessing they are not doing a ton of ROFR on OKW so it could be difficult to get those points. If you bought direct I am pretty sure it is a 2057 contract. But, consider adding on somewhere else to get that 11 month advantage.

Quote:
Depends on your age and intent. We have a BWV and a BCV contract that will expire in 2042. Do I wish it was longer. Yes. But also know in 2042 I will be 77 years old. And now I also know about renting points. I can live with it. So, what will your plans be in 2042?

Quote:
4. Are there other resorts we should be looking at besides OKW? Our two criteria are low(ish) cost of entry and easy ability to sleep 5 people. We aren't interested in VB because we would not ever stay there.
Depends. I think eventually they will have the pull down or something that allows all studios to sleep 5 (that is my opinion). BWV Standard points are one of the best bargains there is, especially at the holidays. There is more to straight buy in cost. First, and most important..buy where you want to stay. I did not heed that with my first SSR contract (ironically, we actually love to stay there now with the new Disney Springs). And that is one of the reasons we added on so quickly. So, while OKW may be low buy in costs, where does it sit on annual maintenance costs and how restrictive is its point charts?

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #10
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Default My 2 cents

Firm believer in buying where you wouldn't mind staying. We ended up adding a small BC contract for home field advantage to stay there in October (55 points - we stay every other year).