home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #21
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaakers87 View Post
Where you are staying or what you are using to pay for your stay has absolutely nothing to with your MM registration UNLESS you are taking more than 5 visitors. Anyone staying on property gets to register early.

From the DHS MM page:

This initial registration window for this event is open to Members with existing Resort reservations—booked prior to August 28, 2018—at the Walt Disney World Resort or at Disney's Vero Beach Resort....

...A Member can register themselves and up to 5 additional guests (total of 6)—or up to the number of guests on his or her Resort reservation. Children younger than 3 years old do not need to be registered for this event....

... If Members have multiple Resort reservations, additional party size guidelines apply depending on how the reservation was booked:

When staying using Vacation Points, Members can register themselves and up to the number of individuals on their Resort reservation(s). <-- This is the only time it matters if you are staying on points!

When staying using cash or RCI® points, Members can register themselves and up to the number of individuals staying in the same room as the Member.
Correct. It was that the online system has been glitch in allowing the booking if you have a membership that is unqualified resale and a qualified membership.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #22
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
There's two things - what you qualify for as a member and what the points themselves qualify for.

So - if you own points that qualify you for direct member benefits then it doesn't matter what points you are using - you receive those benefits. Often it doesn't even matter if you're staying DVC other than TOTWL, pool hopping or for booking dates for the Moonlight Magic. Even if staying offsite you'd get to buy a discounted AP and receive discounts on merchandise and dining. All you need is your blue membership card.

Then there's what the points themselves qualify for. Any new resale isn't able to be used for the Disney collection so in your case your SSR points could be used to book DLH but not the new PVB resale points.
That's helpful. With the various new parks, I haven't kept up with which are attached to an actual stay on a set of points vs. which are tied to membership status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post
I think you meant the contracts w/b under one membership number in this case. But each contract would have it's own contract number such as 1234.01 and then 1234.02 for the second contract. As another poster mentioned below, MS can see which points are associated with each contract and thus resale points will not qualify you for stays at non DVC hotels, like the DLH at DLR.
So, that's what I was wondering. In all likelihood, we would just add resale points to our August Use Year. So, MS can tell which points are resale and which are direct under one membership?

That would mean booking DLH with our direct points and using resale points for a WDW stay. Now, we might do that only 2-3 times over the next 10 years, so it's not a huge factor!

And, of course, I could rent the resale points and use them as cash. Is it possible to combine a cash and points DLH reservation?

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #23
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
My vote will be poly resale, any use yr whichever comes cheaper. Looking at current trend it will be hard to get studio at 7 month. If you don’t mind SSR all the time then no worry, find cheap SSR pts.
Yeah, that availability issue is the only driver in the PVB direction. I have to decide if it's better to have the opportunity to book a 1 bedroom for flexibility, or to have guaranteed access to PVB. I'm sure at some point the economy will crash and PVB availability will be easier or a year or two.

An SSR contract would be 160 points to double our load (thus, 1 BR option). A PVB contract might be 75 points to get us every 2-3 years, but wouldn't really help us out on the 1 BR angle.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #24
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Yeah, that availability issue is the only driver in the PVB direction. I have to decide if it's better to have the opportunity to book a 1 bedroom for flexibility, or to have guaranteed access to PVB. I'm sure at some point the economy will crash and PVB availability will be easier or a year or two.

An SSR contract would be 160 points to double our load (thus, 1 BR option). A PVB contract might be 75 points to get us every 2-3 years, but wouldn't really help us out on the 1 BR angle.

Dirk
For me 1 bedroom is always better then studio. But again you may get lucked out due to recent grand in bookings.

Any other cheap studio resort you like, AKL/BWV?

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #25
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
That's helpful. With the various new parks, I haven't kept up with which are attached to an actual stay on a set of points vs. which are tied to membership status.

So, that's what I was wondering. In all likelihood, we would just add resale points to our August Use Year. So, MS can tell which points are resale and which are direct under one membership?

That would mean booking DLH with our direct points and using resale points for a WDW stay. Now, we might do that only 2-3 times over the next 10 years, so it's not a huge factor!

And, of course, I could rent the resale points and use them as cash. Is it possible to combine a cash and points DLH reservation?

Dirk
You can not combine cash and points for one night but can book separate nights and link them, these can not be merged.

For point conversion to reservation points, MS will look at the eligibility.

Two use yr is not difficult at all to manage, just go for cheaper per point costs and use yr that works for you.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #26
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRAIG View Post
I have 14 Contracts, 7 Home Resorts and 4 UY that are a mix of direct and first grandfathered resale that I mix and match for WDW DVC trips. My direct give me the coveted blue card that I can use for ANY DVC perk - any DVC trip.
Holy Moly! I am super jealous! LOL! 14 Contracts and 7 home resorts!!! Nice!

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS21 DD15

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #27
Breyean
Two Bedroom

Quote:

Dirk
I've been told over the years by MS they can see which contracts are direct vs resale. We always try to use our resale points first when booking a DVC resort just in case we might need direct points for an emergency at a non DVC DLR resort hotel (which is our main park).

But I haven't yet had to actually do that, so I'm just passing along what I've been told by MS and not based on any actual experience.