home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #11
knight427
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedwards View Post
DVC is perfect for once in every three year vacations. You bank one year and borrow from the next to have triple the points every third year.

When you can book has nothing to do with Use Year. No matter which use year you have, you are able to book for March in April of the previous year at your home resort.

Oh, I see now (also note that Crafty pointed this out to me as well). That helps alleviate a lot of the planning complication. So revising my previous scenario and bumping things out a year to accommodate reality.

I would get a plan year beginning in February (presumably not a stripped contract)
Feb 2019 - bank 2019 points into 2020
April 2019 - book vacation for March 2020
Feb 2020 - borrow 100 points from 2021 (now I have 300 points in the 2020 use year)
March 2020 - spend points on planned vacation

If I have to cancel, I at least have a shot at a 7 month reservation or have time to rent out points, right?

If I end up with a small remainder of points, I assume that it is not possible to rent them out if it's too few, right? What is the practical rental limit?
knight427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #12
Crafty
Grand Villa

Donít forget that calendar year and use year are not the same. With our Dec use year, we are still in 2017. We will remain in 2017 through the end of Nov 2018. Our use year and calendar year are only the same for one month a year, the month of Dec. Confused even more? It is not hard to deal with once you understand how it works.

Yesterday, June 26, 2018, we made a reservation at AKV starting April 3, 2019. We own at AKV and it is in our 11 month window. In other words, it is less than eleven months between yesterday and April 3, 2019. April 2019 is in our 2018 use year. We used all of our remaining 2018 points, but we didnít have enough. We borrowed some from our 2019 use year to make the reservation. Yes, the 2019 use year points had to be borrowed into calendar year 2019.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #13
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

IMO DVC isn't great for visiting every 3 years. Unless you own exactly 1/3rd of the points you need for the reservation you'll have stranded points and will need to somehow use them up or they will expire. Expired points start eating into any savings you might otherwise garner.

And even purchasing 1/3rd of the points you'll need for your reservation does not mean it will always work out as DVC can and has reallocated points which did mess with the plans that some current owners had for point usage.

The other issue is that you have 3 entire years of points tied up in a reservation. If something happens to that trip last minute you are very possibly out 3 years of points. Or you may be able to get somebody to rent them last minute but it could be at a greatly reduced rate.....and thus cutting more into any or all potential savings you were going to achieve with DVC.

As pointed out, the booking is not the issue but IMO going every 3 years is. Some make it work but hopefully this raised a few issues to consider and go into it with eyes wide open of the greater potential pitfalls of a 3 year plan.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #14
knight427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
IMO DVC isn't great for visiting every 3 years. Unless you own exactly 1/3rd of the points you need for the reservation you'll have stranded points and will need to somehow use them up or they will expire. Expired points start eating into any savings you might otherwise garner.

And even purchasing 1/3rd of the points you'll need for your reservation does not mean it will always work out as DVC can and has reallocated points which did mess with the plans that some current owners had for point usage.

The other issue is that you have 3 entire years of points tied up in a reservation. If something happens to that trip last minute you are very possibly out 3 years of points. Or you may be able to get somebody to rent them last minute but it could be at a greatly reduced rate.....and thus cutting more into any or all potential savings you were going to achieve with DVC.

As pointed out, the booking is not the issue but IMO going every 3 years is. Some make it work but hopefully this raised a few issues to consider and go into it with eyes wide open of the greater potential pitfalls of a 3 year plan.
These are precisely the kind of concerns I was fishing for. Thanks for your input.
knight427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #15
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight427 View Post

Oh, I see now (also note that Crafty pointed this out to me as well). That helps alleviate a lot of the planning complication. So revising my previous scenario and bumping things out a year to accommodate reality.

I would get a plan year beginning in February (presumably not a stripped contract)
Feb 2020 - borrow 100 points from 2021 (now I have 300 points in the 2020 use year)

If I have to cancel, I at least have a shot at a 7 month reservation or have time to rent out points, right?

If I end up with a small remainder of points, I assume that it is not possible to rent them out if it's too few, right? What is the practical rental limit?
Not quite, but closer.

April 2019. Bank Points from 2019 use year. You have eight months from start of UY to bank. Book vacation for March 2020. You will borrow 2021 points at this time in order to make the reservation.

March 2020. Enjoy.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #16
DeniseKayC
Two Bedroom

Quote:

As a note, the banking and borrowing transactions can all take place at the same time you book the reservation, so when you go to book in April 2019 you would first bank the 2019 points into 2020. Then during the reservation process it will note that in order to complete the reservation you need to borrow from the 2021 year to have enough points and will automatically do that as part of the transaction. No need for 3 separate processes, all can happen on the day you book the reservation.
DeniseKayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #17
Steamboat42

If I end up with a small remainder of points, I assume that it is not possible to rent them out if it's too few, right? What is the practical rental limit?[/quote]

When you reach 11 months from your desired vacation, you would call to make the booking. Lets walk through an example.

Aiming for March 2020 vacation with Feb use year.

April 2019 call to book your 2020 vacation. At this time you can bank your 2019 points into 2020 use year which gets you to 200 points in 2020. When you book your reservation for a week, the DVC agent will then tell you how many points it is (lets say 260 points). At the time of booking you will then need to borrow 60 points from 2021 points into 2020.

This will then cover all of your points needs for the March 2020 reservation and leave 40 points untouched from 2021 for you to do what you want with. If you found a 250 point reservation you could do 2 vacation every 5 years using this methodology vs 1 vacation every 3 years etc. Or you could sell off your 40 additional points to David's rentals.
Steamboat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:06 PM   #18
disneycrazy
Add-on Aficionado

I wanted to add that once the 2021 points are borrowed into 2020, they become 2020 points and cannot be banked.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #19
Crafty
Grand Villa

I can’t be any help with renting because we have never rented. We are always borrowed and never have any extra points.

IMHO people who want to go to WDW every three years, end up wanting to go every two years and then every year. We now go three times a year.

Also, getting a larger unit is very seductive. The washer dryer makes packing for a weeklong trip in a carry-on size bag feasible. My daughter now wants her own room, etc. You can even get a larger room for a few days of your trip if you want. That could use any extra points.

I think that dealing with extra points will not be that much of a problem.

Don’t forget that you can buy one time use points to make up a small point deficiency for a reservation.

Last edited by Crafty; 06-27-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #20
K&P

Quote:

The practical rental limit would be hard to define as a specific number. When you rent out points you make a reservation for the renter which you then transfer to their name; therefore you would need enough points to rent at least one night at a DVC resort. However finding a renter for a single night may be difficult, but probably doable.

Alternatively you can transfer points to another DVC owner, but this may be done only once per year for each DVC member. The once per year transfer limit is counted as transferring in points OR transferring out points. So it may still be a difficult task to find a member who is willing to use their one transfer for a small amount of points, but also probably doable.
K&P is offline   Reply With Quote