home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
DVC Data

Arrow A History of DVC Direct Pricing (1991-present)

The following is a record of the price per point that DVC has charged over the years. This shows the base price and does not take into consideration any incentives that might have been offered.

I'm not trying to show the then current pricing for all DVC resorts. I'm only showing price increases for the resort(s) that DVC was actively marketing at the time.

Resort acronyms for those new to MouseOwners:

AKV - Animal Kingdom Villas
BLT - Bay Lake Tower
PVB - Polynesian Villas & Bungalows
SSR - Saratoga Springs Resort
VGC - Villas at the Grand Californian
VGF - Villas at the Grand Floridian

Last edited by DVC Data; 07-19-2015 at 03:32 AM.
DVC Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
coastak
Grand Villa

So in 2039 will it be $545 a point?

When I feel like I am paying too much for AKV resale I am reminded that I love the resale restrictions which dont modify how we vacation but allows me to get cheaper than what it originally sold for today

Last edited by coastak; 04-25-2015 at 07:15 PM.
coastak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

I think it would be interesting to compare this to the cost of a typical hotel room. I can't help but wonder-the prices per point have more than tripled, but in that same span of time, what's happened to hotel prices? I do know that I remember staying at AKL for $155 a night just before we joined DVC in 2001, and it's more than doubled in the same period of time that the DVC price per point has more than doubled.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
dizfan
Grand Villa

Mike, is the Feb 2015 correct?
Isn't VGF $165, with BLT and VGC at $170?

Last edited by dizfan; 04-25-2015 at 08:04 PM.
dizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
coastak
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I think it would be interesting to compare this to the cost of a typical hotel room. I can't help but wonder-the prices per point have more than tripled, but in that same span of time, what's happened to hotel prices? I do know that I remember staying at AKL for $155 a night just before we joined DVC in 2001, and it's more than doubled in the same period of time that the DVC price per point has more than doubled.
According to Statistica the avg hotel room in the USA in 2001 was $83 and change and today is $121 and change. Of course that is not directly related to disney rooms and is an all encompassing average.
coastak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
DVC Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizfan View Post
Mike, is the Feb 2015 correct?
Isn't VGF $165, with BLT and VGC at $170?
You're right. Corrected it

DVC Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:37 PM   #7
KurtBeckySugg
One Bedroom

I remember when I initially bought in to VWL in 2001 the promotional material said save up to 70% on future vacations. Now when I see the kiosk they say save up to 50% on future vacations. So I believe that the DVC price hike has been faster than the hotel rooms rate of inflation.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:49 PM   #8
SBL
Studio

Default Thx!

Thank you!! Helps give me perspective on my resale price!!
SBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:06 PM   #9
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastak View Post
According to Statistica the avg hotel room in the USA in 2001 was $83 and change and today is $121 and change. Of course that is not directly related to disney rooms and is an all encompassing average.
Thanks. I suspected that maybe the DVC price had gone up a little more and you confirmed it. But it's still been a great purchase!
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:56 AM   #10
Erigeni5
Studio

Default Stickie Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
I'm not sure this needs to be a "stickie", as while it's certainly interesting information, I don't think it's something a prospective DVC buyer would necessarily need to have at their fingertips. Let me know if you think otherwise.
I think this is a valuable info for the same reason as SBL's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBL View Post
Helps give me perspective on my resale price!!
When I was doing my DVC research, I actually had to browse DVCNews' Financial News section looking for all Tim Krasniewski's writings about DVC resort pricing updates and/or incentives and compiled the figures on an excel spreadsheet. This along with ROFR threads helps me a lot to understand the resale market better and not easily fooled by resale brokers.

IMO this thread should be a "stickie." Maybe another poll topic?
Erigeni5 is offline   Reply With Quote