home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #11
goofygardiner
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Look at getting your direct points as a combination of smaller contracts. I believe 75 is the minimum to get benefits so how about three 35 point contracts. Smaller contracts seem to get a larger resale value if you ever decide to sell.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:51 AM   #12
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackru View Post
We are probably going to buy OKW. We are also looking at resale contracts. We are interested in either adding to our OKW when we buy it, AKL or Poly, would most likely like to go in September/October (we love food and wine), and would be interested in a a studio or 1BR (right now our three year old sleeps with us so as long as we have a bed that can fit all of us we are good.....but I'm hoping that'll end soon).

If we had 100 points direct at OKW and another 125-150 from resale at Poly/AKL with the same use year, can we book at 225 point stay at 11 months at OKW/Poly /AKL?

Also, do we get a Sept UY or August?
Welcome, and I am sorry for your loss.

In terms of how points work, if you purchase 225 points with 100 from OKW and 125 from AKL/Poly then you can only use the 100 OKW points at OKW in the 11 month window and the 125 points at their home resort in the 11 month window. However, you can bank and borrow from your home resort. (will use 100 OKW points as example). If you plan to go in 2019 and have a June Use year, and bank 100 OKW June 2018 points into June 2019 then borrow 100 OKW points from 2020, that would give you 300 OKW points effective from June 1, 2019 to July 31, 2020. There is no mixing different home resorts in the 11 month window, you can mix the points in the 7 month window.

Use year, I think you are better off with a use year that is either the month you plan to travel or a month or two before in case you cancel you can still use the points. In your case, June, august, or September might be best IMO.

One of my use years is September - we tend to travel in July or august, I have had to cancel reservations due to family illnesses, and it was too late to bank points or use them at a later date. I gave the points away to either family or friends.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #13
jflatto
Grand Villa

I would also recommend reading the following thread talking about availability.

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=129465

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:32 PM   #14
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Sorry for your loss.

Welcome to MO! Good luck with your purchase. Lot's of great advice
May 2019 - OKW

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #15
pdude81
Grand Villa

Welcome aboard, frackru.

Those direct points at OKW are a decent value but I would strongly suggest you think about Copper Creek if you are buying 100 direct points. This is not to say one is better than the other, but with CCV going until 2068 you have 11 additional years on your contract. The total cost is more but the cost per year is a bit less. The other thing you might want to do is to look at at a PVB or AKV resale contract now and then buy at the Riviera when that starts selling in about 9 months. The trick with that is that you don't know if the room costs per night will be low like they are at OKW and CCV. I suspect they will not be.

For use year, it's hard to know what you'll use for the future. Given that you already have one child and are hoping for another, you may find yourself doing more summer trips than fall trips once they in school. A June use year would still work well for Food & Wine trips, but buying a June contract direct now leaves you without 2017 UY points. August still gives you one month in the summer if you have any concern about cancellation, works with your food and wine trips, and would give you 2017 UY points that you don't have to pay any maintenance fees on.

So if it were me, based on the extra years of vacations/perks in the contract and that I like the WL a lot, I would choose the 100 points there with an August UY, and then start hunting for the right resale contract. We own at PVB and AKV and love both. It's a matter of preference, but IMO PVB is a better value at 145 or so than AKV at 110. Comparing based on points left gets more tricky, but you can't go wrong either way. How much you're willing to spend will have a big impact too.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:40 PM   #16
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers View Post
Good advice from the comment above ...."you should get a use year that immediately precedes the time of year that you plan to go. That way if you have to cancel, you still have a lot of time to use (or bank) those points."
Yup. If you don't plan on cancelling, UY is irrelevant. If you think you might, this will work. We don't cancel so we bought whatever was available for our two contracts without regard for UY.

Cheers.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #17
Oh_Joy!
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Additional points to consider regarding UY
  1. Making reservations that span your UY - As an example, one of my contracts is a BWV Oct UY. If I want to make a reservation for F&W that goes from late Sept. - early Oct. Guess what? It has to be 2 reservations because you cannot make a single reservation that spans a UY. This puts me at a disadvantage during a time when snagging a reservation at BWV is very competitive.
  2. Distribution of UYs at each resort - if you're looking to add on via resale at any time, a Sept, UY could be a problem if you want AKV, However, Dec UYs are plentiful at all resorts.
In practice, neither of these scenarios may be a problem for you now or in the future. But they are worth considering. I thought that an Oct UY would be perfect for visits in early Dec. And I bought my AKV contract with the Sept. UY without even thinking about adding on being a problem. Eventually, I did find the perfect addon contract via resale and I work around the Oct. UY at BWV by using it for F&W vacations in Oct. and Nov.
Oh_Joy! is offline   Reply With Quote