home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 08:52 AM   #11
cedel47
Studio

The shorten park hours also can impact wait times, as the capacity didn't change. This leads to the same amount people going on the same open rides within less time, this will raise wait times.
cedel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #12
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Nope....And there are four big shows......plus all the small shows too.

Finding Nemo: The Musical
Festival of the Lion King
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
Beauty and the Beast: Live on Stage

I meant Soarin theaters. But I hear ya.
OffToTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #13
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Posted wait times are not the same as actual wait times, as I have seen on my visit and other forums.

Also, not all rides are running at full capacity because of social distancing and not running all vehicles. For example, when I was there Space Mountain was only using the left track, not the right. Every time I rode it (five times, on three days) the ride/line was nearly a walk-on, 5 minutes or less wait, regardless of the posted time.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #14
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToTheMouse View Post
I meant Soarin theaters. But I hear ya.

Oh....Sometimes, but not all day, not all the time.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:18 AM   #15
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
The problem with opening up FP+ is that the standby wait times will soar and will open up all those cans of worms all over again:
  • scrambles to plan your day down to park, meal, attraction 60 days out or more;
  • mad scrambles at 60 days out for FP+ for the popular attractions before they disappear;
  • Only able to get 3 FPs and then have to wait in an artificially longer standby for all the rest;
  • upcharge experiences to bypass lines (further lengthening standby time), etc.

All in the middle of a pandemic when the park experience is already reduced, park hopping doesn't exist, and you have to be masked.

Currently, based on the OP's charts, nearly every attraction can be visited in the first hour with minimal waits. Just get to park at rope drop and do some strategic touring.

DHS is really the only park with major problems. And they will continue to have those problems for quite some time because they have popular attractions and zippo capacity. This was true pre-pandemic and it will be true post-pandemic.

If they move in the direction of FP+ again, I'm totally not regretting our decision to put Walt Disney World on pause for a few years.

Disneyland is so much easier.

Dirk
I booked HS just to try Mickey Runaway Railway and it's 90 mins at open. No thanks. Also was wanting to do lunch at BD patio lounge and found out they are only serving drinks on that patio right now (no food). I should switch to AK. But we moved from SSR to BCV since we had booked those 2 parks. We could drive over an park there. Probably not too bad these days (won't be 2 miles out in the parking lot... maybe).

I am no fan of FP+ typically. But if no FP+ then I'd like the old paper FP system. Or like US and a paid Xpress pass. Hate waiting in lines. Though, right now, only HS looks bad. We did HS and Star Wars the last 2 trips so I can do without.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):
Oct 24-Nov 1 HHI (not DVC), Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #16
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
I am no fan of FP+ typically. But if no FP+ then I'd like the old paper FP system. Or like US and a paid Xpress pass. Hate waiting in lines. Though, right now, only HS looks bad. We did HS and Star Wars the last 2 trips so I can do without.

Be prepared for paid fastpass's in the future.....it is the way!
Old 09-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #17
MMC1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin;1664734t
Be prepared for paid fastpass's in the future.....it is the way!
Well a gradual intro : Offer to actual resort guests on Disney property only/ perhaps with slight discount.... giving all those off property guests just enough time to panic & rebook ON property.
Otherwise true Disney guests should take issue. Check out some of those cash rates for holiday travel!
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #18
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
Well a gradual intro : Offer to actual resort guests on Disney property only/ perhaps with slight discount.... giving all those off property guests just enough time to panic & rebook ON property.
Otherwise true Disney guests should take issue. Check out some of those cash rates for holiday travel!
Def should be some deal for on site guests like US is. US is free for top tier resorts. Ah...what do I care really. We won't be going so often anymore and prefer to go for Epcot festivals. Done with the rides and shows and fireworks and parades anyway.

But I just swapped from HS to AK. Probably stroll in at lunchtime and ride a couple things and have some drinks. Might book a park closing dinner at Yak and Yeti to use a Landry gift card.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):
Oct 24-Nov 1 HHI (not DVC), Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #19
fuzzylogic
Banned

Quote:
The problem with opening up FP+ is that the standby wait times will soar
I agree that right now is not the time to open fastpass... Just too complicated. Without it Disney retains the flexibility to change park hours or which rides are operating on a dime. Fluidity is key to keep changing with the conditions.

They can deal with larger crowds by extending park hours. Given the recovery we're seeing, I hope Oct-Dec trips will see those hours that were cut for Aug/Sep put back in. Starting with Columbus Day weekend, and then clear thru New Years. They have to be ready for the holiday crowds. We are definitely seeing they're adding capacity here and there... opening CRT in MK and the Minnie Holiday Dining at Holllywood. Need to keep enough places open that everyone can eat w/o going over the capacity guidelines.

Really the chart isn't that bad. Way better than pre-covid waits. Not like July where we walked on to MFSR but still good. And actual waits tend to be less than posted waits so the chart is more of a worst-case-scenario.

Quote:
Currently, based on the OP's charts, nearly every attraction can be visited in the first hour with minimal waits. Just get to park at rope drop and do some strategic touring.
This is traditional Disney-MO, but now pretty much everyone is doing this. Thus waits are highest in the first few hours, and fall off throughout the day. This is supported by the chart, where we see FOP at 45 min thru about 11, then it drifts off and doesn't reach that 45-min wait again for the rest of the day. Slinky - same thing. Peaks at 80 min 2 hours into opening then drifts down throughout the day. Because there is so little to do, once people ride all their rides, they're going home for the day and not hopping to Epcot or elsewhere.

The triple-combo of no-hopping, no shows and mask requirements are causing shorter park days. Get there at 10, try for a boarding group, try again at 2, and by that point you're pretty ready to go.

Last edited by fuzzylogic; 09-16-2020 at 11:10 AM.
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #20
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
I booked HS just to try Mickey Runaway Railway and it's 90 mins at open. No thanks. Also was wanting to do lunch at BD patio lounge and found out they are only serving drinks on that patio right now (no food). I should switch to AK. But we moved from SSR to BCV since we had booked those 2 parks. We could drive over an park there. Probably not too bad these days (won't be 2 miles out in the parking lot... maybe).

Our wait time said 75 minutes for MMRR but we were in and out in about 40. Most of the times we waited were much lower than the posted times. Keep an eye on those comments. And the line at open is longer since everyone shows up to try to get the ROTR boarding pass. An hour later the 75 minutes we saw posted went to 30.